Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
1497908055.1477.jpg

Really nice shave today. 5th outing of the Gillette rubie blade. The eufros balm is my favourite post product. Thin yet protective, able to be used in summer or winter without feeling greasy.

oUOds7k.jpg

Occam's Original
Simpson CH3
ATT Colossus R1
Feather
Barristers Reserve Spice
Barristers Reserve Spice Aftershave
Australian Private Reserve General Ledger EDP

A very interesting soap base. Two passes then on with the Aftershave and EDP :)

Interesting? How would you rate it mate compared to other B&M bases?

Okay so I hate the futur clone.

Blade: feather (new)
Soap: the warden
Razor : futur clone (4)

2 passes effortless BBS, no burn at all, absolutly perfect.
I did nick an ingrown hair I've been dealing with so it also assists in minor surgery.
This razor is too good, not just at this price point but in general.

Did the sv soap fit perfectly in that container? If so, where did you get the container?
Actually bought it along with a few other SV soaps off the Bay... all were already in the containers. One is the empty container from Con at TSW and it fits perfectly. The puck wasn't grated or anything.

Date: 20/06/2017 (4 days growth)
Pre: Shower / pre-shave oil
Brush: 1092 Synthetic
Cream/Soap: B&M Cologne Russe
Razor: Rockwell 6c (baseplate #4)
Blade: Rockwell (1)
A/S: B&M Cologne Russe

Well, I promised @Ferret619 I would try my Rockwell blades on my next shave. So here it is.
My last shave was rushed and ended quite poorly. So, I was hoping for something better this morning. Alas, it was not to be.

I lathered up with some B&M Cologne Russe. I wanted to use B&M since I find it so consistent.
I set the Rockwell blade onto plate #4 and off I went... Literally after the first stroke I knew this blade was no friend of mine.

With a Feather or Gillette:SilverBlue I just place the razor on my skin and then let the weight of the razor do all the work while it literally whistles a happy tune. Not so with the Rockwell. I had to tug it over my skin. Rather than smoothly glide over my face, it would jump after catching each hair. Instead of singing, it would make *tink* *tink* noises. It took three passes to get anything near acceptable (I usually do 2) and even then, there is still stubble as far as the eye can see. Oh, and blood. Did I mention the blood? Yeah, he bit me... Over and over again. And the less said about the skin irritation the better.

Honestly, it felt like shaving with barbed wire. And the results show it: I look like a Calico cat crossed with a Hellraiser movie.

I don't think I'll be using these blades again. I may have gotten them super cheap* but, as @Mark1966 has told me in the past: life is too short for bad shaves.
*I bought 2xpacks (5blades) at $2USD each and Rockwell threw in an extra pack of 100 blades for free.
I am happy to PIF a 5-pack to anyone who would like to try them. Maybe they will work better for someone else.

In fairness, I should say that my hair is very coarse and, at 4 days growth, is headed firmly into hipster territory.
Add to that, my 3yo daughter was throwing a tantrum in the background. So, it was never going to be an *easy* shave. But, I still expected far better than was delivered.

Honestly, if I thought that all DE shaves would be like this I would go straight back to cartridges/electrics.

For reference, my go-to blades are: Feather, GilletteSilverBlue, Polsilver... With Gillette 7-o'clock yellow being an acceptable fallback.

Well, I promised @Ferret619 I would try my Rockwell blades on my next shave. So here it is.
My last shave was rushed and ended quite poorly. So, I was hoping for something better this morning. Alas, it was not to be.

I lathered up with some B&M Cologne Russe. I wanted to use B&M since I find it so consistent.
I set the Rockwell blade onto plate #4 and off I went... Literally after the first stroke I knew this blade was no friend of mine.

With a Feather or Gillette:SilverBlue I just place the razor on my skin and then let the weight of the razor do all the work while it literally whistles a happy tune. Not so with the Rockwell. I had to tug it over my skin. Rather than smoothly glide over my face, it would jump after catching each hair. Instead of singing, it would make *tink* *tink* noises. It took three passes to get anything near acceptable (I usually do 2) and even then, there is still stubble as far as the eye can see. Oh, and blood. Did I mention the blood? Yeah, he bit me... Over and over again. And the less said about the skin irritation the better.

Honestly, it felt like shaving with barbed wire. And the results show it: I look like a Calico cat crossed with a Hellraiser movie.

I don't think I'll be using these blades again. I may have gotten them super cheap* but, as @Mark1966 has told me in the past: life is too short for bad shaves.
*I bought 2xpacks (5blades) at $2USD each and Rockwell threw in an extra pack of 100 blades for free.
I am happy to PIF a 5-pack to anyone who would like to try them. Maybe they will work better for someone else.

In fairness, I should say that my hair is very coarse and, at 4 days growth, is headed firmly into hipster territory.
Add to that, my 3yo daughter was throwing a tantrum in the background. So, it was never going to be an *easy* shave. But, I still expected far better than was delivered.

Honestly, if I thought that all DE shaves would be like this I would go straight back to cartridges/electrics.

For reference, my go-to blades are: Feather, GilletteSilverBlue, Polsilver... With Gillette 7-o'clock yellow being an acceptable fallback.
Sorry to hear bud!
Im at a loss what to do with the 100 that will come with the model t

Sorry to hear bud!
Im at a loss what to do with the 100 that will come with the model t
Hopefully your experience will be different to mine.
But, the 6c is just wonderful with a sharper blade. I've only tried it with Feather and GSB. Both were great.

Hopefully your experience will be different to mine.
But, the 6c is just wonderful with a sharper blade. I've only tried it with Feather and GSB. Both were great.
Nah I've got a few and will probably die with them...

I have to agree about the Rockwell blades, which is a shame as the razors are great. When I got the 6S I started the first shave with a Rockwell, I had to change it after just a couple of strokes. Glad you like the 6C, I think we're all going to have a lot of unusable blades when the Model T arrives!

I agree- I tried Rockwell blades twice - after the first pass I thought I had a dud one and swapped for a fresh Rockwell. Exactly the same.
Not game to try any more. :confused:

I have to agree about the Rockwell blades, which is a shame as the razors are great. When I got the 6S I started the first shave with a Rockwell, I had to change it after just a couple of strokes. Glad you like the 6C, I think we're all going to have a lot of unusable blades when the Model T arrives!
I agree- I tried Rockwell blades twice - after the first pass I thought I had a dud one and swapped for a fresh Rockwell. Exactly the same.
Not game to try any more. :confused:
Well, at least we seem to have some kind of consensus.
The blades cost me next to nothing. So, I'm happy to just use this as a learning experience and further enforce the notion that not all blades are created equal.

Penny for your thoughts on the B&M First Snow?
I'm a fan although it seems to polarise opinion. It's not exactly a complex scent from B&M, but still unique. It's lightly mentholated and a mixture of pine, leather and a touch of tobacco. It's sweetish and not heavy at all, quite fresh. I'm actually thinking of getting the splash.

Okay so I hate the futur clone.

Blade: feather (new)
Soap: the warden
Razor : futur clone (4)

2 passes effortless BBS, no burn at all, absolutly perfect.
I did nick an ingrown hair I've been dealing with so it also assists in minor surgery.
This razor is too good, not just at this price point but in general.

So too good to be true. In fact you liked it too much and so wrote a positive err negative review.
Glad you love it :happy: Maybe a good recommendation for beginners too.

I'm a fan although it seems to polarise opinion. It's not exactly a complex scent from B&M, but still unique. It's lightly mentholated and a mixture of pine, leather and a touch of tobacco. It's sweetish and not heavy at all, quite fresh. I'm actually thinking of getting the splash.

Your nose is certainty better than mine. Understand the polarising comment as I liked and didn't like it.
Have parked it for now until summer when I think I'll notice the menthol more and get that clean fresh feel.
Thank you for your insight as great to know how others feel about it. (y)

Mühle XL Synth, ATT S1 Colossus, Ladas (1), Stirling Bay Rum, 72 h worth of growth and ~the same time of no decent sleep, crappy light in the hotel bathroom - wonderful shave & feel like a human again (y)

So too good to be true. In fact you liked it too much and so wrote a positive err negative review.
Glad you love it :happy: Maybe a good recommendation for beginners too.

Your nose is certainty better than mine. Understand the polarising comment as I liked and didn't like it.
Have parked it for now until summer when I think I'll notice the menthol more and get that clean fresh feel.
Thank you for your insight as great to know how others feel about it. (y)
I think it would be a desert island razor for me. It does exactly what it should

Razor: Gillette aristocrat Jr
Blade: feather (2)
Soap: monsavon
Brush: whipped dog silvertip

This is my first shave with the Jr (at least I think it's a Jr..maybe a parat)
And this may just be my favourite TTO. Well weighted, beautiful head and it just seems to work for me

Well, at least we seem to have some kind of consensus.
The blades cost me next to nothing. So, I'm happy to just use this as a learning experience and further enforce the notion that not all blades are created equal.
I'll add that they arnt the worst I've tried

Status
Not open for further replies.