Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
gMBEkuhz1fJuw2OfI2lanyYI5e3PnBgQpJrP2Fd5oQazlXGxuurHV4OHAdoXobw8MU7od3Rjejs8Eb-Dd2wKFGgubG-RKXnENnDETzTgkYahp3q_tLCjGfUDy0DAo1goaTVP-yf2gbed145UZ0KtuifW19Xq-4se_d5TumK4VGsuZqWHyjJWrCvA0WFUF1BElZ6QHMOxtJeY9QkgrD6emAODK_wQcW22fDv__2KqcNL-IVVfldvyD2qTEvTuu8Dxxy2mac7ncHR4HazcuLAh1ap0PwtutaCTgUU1xbu_S0WDZdClhlJ4tBJSs8x9d49lhVXpF8LjopLYEkE4fUDkKCKG5fhxyKXQ6pfl9xr1zQgH6BYNCFs21PBEnH2GW_QkvmWGplJbtZRNuyNm6dYUb6YkPRzFRyL-LQVoNTGkwzLD7oVAZ0tAPNFNydE1Rc9wXB-PeX7-2lNZbOEYdXLnEzhrRlscAMJ_Yf691qRHIzbYASJgiFomKKbYY5Vd4ESagPi9kiAruWH3IcmhtDqhZ4eihUwpsAmx94xbXxt20xkJw0WHRBw2mA7TZogKWQnDjuifZxUV9ocDzT4tEMNSxbVksTNwkbS03NczHOVRTjpa6gtOg0iy=w750-h1000-no

Testing google photos for sotd

Doesn't work :(

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: L&L Grooming/Chatillon Lux TSM Fourgere shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender

Oh yeah, this stuff is G-O-O-D.

IhcuLbw.jpg

Occams Pre
Paladin
Timeless
Feather
Eufros Sandalo
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Salve
Chatillon Lux Santal Auster Aftershave
Guerlain Héritage EDP

An exhausting week almost hosed, superb shave this morning with sublime fragrances.

F02F0CFC-884A-4077-8CA8-2CD0DC7E146F_zpsbmki7u7k.jpg

Brush: Old Badger
Soap: Home made HP
Razor: Jowika 6/8
I think the soap my have improved a little with age or maybe the stiffer brush lathered it better. This blade was my introduction to honing. Performed well today but I think due for a refresh.

Shower
Feather AC DX with Pro Super blade (25)
Derby Lavender Cream
Omega 48
Re-lather + Bulldog ASB

In a rush so grabbed the tube of cream. Used more product than usual (circa walnut size) and was rewarded with buckets of lather with this brush - I could have gone another 3 pass shave after my 3 pass shave! 3 pass DFS - we have lost some efficiency - kind of equivalent to a mild DE now after some palm stropping. Still no irritation or damage though. That's probably enough on this blade - I love efficiency too much! The lather was actually excellent except for a lack of residual slickness (and very faint scent but that's a positive for me). Otherwise it was protective, dense, had no bubbles, was voluminous, took on a lot of water etc etc. However the lack of slickness means I won't be getting it again. Still a nice change for now though...

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 30 June 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Cream/Soap: - Stirling Island Man 4x
Razor: - Colonial General Aluminum Head with the iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Feather Professional #1
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

Friday 30 June 2017

Y0AWd5VSGh50G94RXT2RVBRIrzhLVB2_cexEF2ty6z25WGf78rV89cKC3HG0wuPlrhRZzkSvJSSllum9rn0fH9VOcCKxkfDE6iU=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi Club Razor 2017

Shaving with this Mastro Livi Club Razor 2017 is a pleasure. Its velvety and smooth touch makes it the excellence of shaving, not to mention it is such a beautiful masterpiece to look at. Three passes of pure joy in which I used my shaving soap and the shave brush my friend Roberto made for me. The icing on the cake was the super refreshing touch of my Thyrrenus aftershave, a super cooling sensation absolutely perfect for this hot day.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Roberto's Brush, Wild Badger, Locust Tree Wood, 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Bamboo Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Club Razor 2017, 8/8 Full Hollow, French Point, Cocobolo
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Such a great shave tonight, my latest Chinese cheapy arrived the other day and I ran it over the hones this afternoon. Wow for a razor that cost $16 delivered with a real leather strop I think I can see a 7 day set on the horizon :)

It was supplied shave ready but probably would only give a nasty bruise. Parts of the blade were sharp [ish]
@Sxot, I gave it the mandatory tap and wobble and it was as good as my Tanifuji which is pretty near perfect. I have found the ZY razors benefit from 2 full honings for the blade to smooth out.

1k, 3k, 6k, 8k, 15k then love and tenderness on my Jnat

Semogue boar and one of my soaps.

Single pass and so DFS.

19554317_1606225372723228_3289601742182551104_n.jpg

Brush: Vie-Long, horse/badger
Soap: Squadron, Spitfire
Razor: Gem, Micromatic "Flying Wing"
Blade: Gem SS

I had to use the "Flying Wing" this morning for the Squadron Scramble. I've been a fan of the Spitfire soap so it was great to get the aftershave to match.
Two smooth passes with a great lather then a generous splash of aftershave.
Smelling great and feeling fine!
Good job @SchoolForAnts

Have a great weekend, enjoy your shave

19260369_1606228352722930_4249636967874156252_n.jpg

Razor: Vintage British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Platinum Plus (6)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Mycroft shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Mycroft splash
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Mycroft EDP

Thankfully not as cold INSIDE my bathroom!

Still wanted a winter warmer and Mycroft delivered :)

AiwOHH1.jpg

La Toja Pre
M&F L7 28mm
Timeless
Feather
Barrister & Mann - Le Grand Chypre
Barrister & Mann - Le Grand Chypre Aftershave
Barrister & Mann - Le Grand Chypre EDT

Resetting the seasonal rut of endless depth with something very much less so, a definite favourite too . Two fantastic leisurely post EOFY passes, just capital!

02C7EDAB-481F-4A00-B84D-158303A9C420_zpsbavvxyi5.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Brush: Old Badger
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn
Razor: Slim (Setting 5 1st pass, 8 subsequent)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
This blade was interesting on setting 5. Hardly knew it was there. Dialled it up for a pleasantly surprising good shave.

My only criticism would be the fact that the label (which is very classy and well designed) doesn't seem to be waterproof, and was lifting off at the edges at first use.

Just think how collectable that bottle now is - give it a few months and you can call it 'unobtanium' and whack it up on Ebay for $90 USD with the original packaging.

Thanks for the feedback on the soap label @Snooze. I'm investigating options for new material for them, that won't significantly increase the price of the product. I have already done so for the aftershave labels up front.

Alcohol destroys the glue and mutilates just about every adhesive paper label in the game, I do not know of a paper label that will stand up to it particularly over a month or so worth of use.

'Datapol' brand synthetic/plastic labels are what Stirling, myself and many others use - available here in Australia various stock sizes and volume packs (google). Most/all printers can use Datapol stock to print your colour labels, they come in peel off A4 sheets.They do come at a price, but are full colour printable, waterproof and have an excellent adhesive on smooth glass and even frosted that resists alcohol and water excellently.

Hope this is of some help :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.