Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 12 July 2017 is 6am in West of London

Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #3
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

How would you compare the Wolfman to the Rockwell?

I've read a few posts on the forums about how the Rockwell is smoother and just as efficient as the other high end SS razors.

In all honesty, I don't get any better shave from the Guerrilla or ATT compared with the Rockwell. The Timeless gave a slightly more efficient shave, however that irritated my skin massively (and the difference was a bee's dick between facefeel tbh, I'm splitting hairs to see the difference). I could shave with the Rockwell daily for the rest of me life and be happy (like marriage I guess).

In all honesty, I don't get any better shave from the Guerrilla or ATT compared with the Rockwell. The Timeless gave a slightly more efficient shave, however that irritated my skin massively (and the difference was a bee's dick between facefeel tbh, I'm splitting hairs to see the difference). I could shave with the Rockwell daily for the rest of me life and be happy (like marriage I guess).

I've pretty much reached that point myself. I now use the Rockwell daily with the progress for a change up.

I've got the Rockwell 6C on the way also, for the travel kit and then I'm all set on the razor front.

I've pretty much reached that point myself. I now use the Rockwell daily with the progress for a change up.

I've got the Rockwell 6C on the way also, for the travel kit and then I'm all set on the razor front.
I would love to hear your impression of the 6c once you're a couple of shaves in.
I have a 6c and I love it. But the devil on my shoulder wants a stainless.
That said, I wouldn't sneeze at a Guerrilla or ATT SE either...

Hearing a lot of people leaving the high end game and going "back to basics" and loving it. Can't wait for the belated delivery of the Rockwell model T. I might need to go back and try some good 'ol quality razors

I would love to hear your impression of the 6c once you're a couple of shaves in.
My ATT SE1 is one of my top razors. It's an absolute dream. The double edge ATT (in my experience) don't blow me away as much (although they give me brilliant shaves)

My ATT SE1 is one of my top razors. It's an absolute dream. The double edge ATT (in my experience) don't blow me away as much (although they give me brilliant shaves)
Sigh. So many shiney pieces of art calling to me...
Oh well. These are delightful problems to have.

I hope so! (y)

I messaged them the other day and here in part is the messenger conversation

"Hi .. thanks for the message we're hoping to be back up and running later this year (hopefully sooner rather than later). .... We also estimate that we will not have as many soaps as previously in the line up. At this stage we are looking at 4 soaps that will run all year round as well as a seasonal soap or 2.

Kind Regards
Anthony"

Sigh. So many shiney pieces of art calling to me...
Oh well. These are delightful problems to have.
I have a razorock hawk that is super cheap. And it is not a cheap shaver. It's very very good. Just very light. That's about it. Don't feel like the high end is the "pinnacle" of a great shave. I can still get perfect shaves with my 34c and schick krona

I messaged them the other day and here in part is the messenger conversation

"Hi .. thanks for the message we're hoping to be back up and running later this year (hopefully sooner rather than later). .... We also estimate that we will not have as many soaps as previously in the line up. At this stage we are looking at 4 soaps that will run all year round as well as a seasonal soap or 2.

Kind Regards
Anthony"
Awesome news. I'm glad theyre downsizing scents. Makes it cheaper to have ALL THE THINGS. Mwahaha :sneaky::sneaky:

I have a razorock hawk that is super cheap. And it is not a cheap shaver. It's very very good. Just very light. That's about it. Don't feel like the high end is the "pinnacle" of a great shave. I can still get perfect shaves with my 34c and schick krona
I too have a 34c and all would still be good in the world if I had to always use it. It gives a fine shave. But, I have bonded somewhat more with my Rockwell. It just fits me better. *shrug*

That said, I think you are right. In the end, technique should always win out. And the gap between a "good" and a "great" razor is not as wide as we would like to believe.*

I suspect by this time next year I will be playing with real straights in order to really explore (this aspect of) the back-to-basics ideal. Somehow I doubt this will save me any money. :p

*Note: This is no reason to avoid accumulating more smelly or shiney. :D

Not to be the enabler but I would recommend the SS version very highly firstly cos it'll last beyond our lifetimes and secondly, the blasted matte look is far better than the chrome according to my tastes.

My 6C is just for the travel kit whereas the 6S is my daily razor.

That said, I think you are right. In the end, technique should always win out.

I think this depends more on the individual skin and stubble combinations, which can be very unique and varied.

After 10 years of DE shaving, I feel my technique is good as I don't get any razor burn or nics/cuts but if I use something like a 34C, it ain't gonna get even close to DFS. I have tough stubble but not worry but I also have Ultra sensitive skin so I have always found aggressive razors to shave well but my skin didn't react well.

The Progress and now the Rockwell are the only two razors out of the 50+ I've used which shave well and keep my skin happy. This is not just about blade gap buy in my opinion and experience, it's a lot more to do with the head geometry also. You'll notice the progress and Rockwell have somewhat overlapping head design, which gives me confidence in my theory.

I too have a 34c and all would still be good in the world if I had to always use it. It gives a fine shave. But, I have bonded somewhat more with my Rockwell. It just fits me better. *shrug*

That said, I think you are right. In the end, technique should always win out. And the gap between a "good" and a "great" razor is not as wide as we would like to believe.*

I suspect by this time next year I will be playing with real straights in order to really explore (this aspect of) the back-to-basics ideal. Somehow I doubt this will save me any money. :p

*Note: This is no reason to avoid accumulating more smelly or shiney. :D
Yep. A great reason to move to wet shaving is to save money. But it's also the best way to be in debt :ROFLMAO: supply injector and ATT SE1 are my absolute favorites atm. So my statement of cheap can still deliver the best is absolute bs :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.