Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think your right. I've used Astra SP's in the New previously and haven't had an issue - but the Feathers feel like I'm shaving my neck with a cheese grater :nailbiting:

But I do like them in my Merkur 34C - they work well in that!

Thanks mate, and @RustyBlade previously. This is FURTHER evidence, if any were needed, to prove my hypothesis that talk of razors OR blades is a little simplistic. It is the razor/blade combination that should be assessed.

They are beautiful in the flesh too, they come with a removable rubber mat so you drop the SV puck in the bottom (in the plastic holder it comes in) and the puck does not slip. The plastic cup also protects the wood. I plan to order a couple more of the wooden containers, they are very, very well made and look great in the den.

WOW - it is those little, simple yet profound, touches that separate the good products and brands from the great ones ...

B91FADDD-0C7E-4F63-9634-36B82E16C31B_zpseyjo7nks.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Nettle n Neem
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Boker

Did I say I love the Bokers before? Great shave off this one this morning. Third use of the boar brush and I'm liking it. Interesting with the Nettle n Neem soap though. It took a lot more work with the boar to lather than the Shavemac. The Zenith worked fine the other morning with one of my other home made soaps (Orange/Ylang Ylang).

Razor: Rockwell 6c (#5)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Soap : B&M Cheshire
Brush: 1092 synthetic
A/S: B&M Reserve Spice

First shave since my first attempt with my new Feather AC SS. I'm putting the SS aside for the time being because I need to do some interviews over the next few weeks and can't afford another blood-letting. I'll pick it up again when things calm down.

In the meantime, @Ferret619 and I have had several discussions about our blade choices. It turns out that our preferences are very similar and he very kindly sent me some of his favourites to try.

Well, I tried one of his Nacet blades this morning. I admit I wasn't expecting much because a) I'm a cranky old man and b) I didn't sleep well.
But, against all odds, I had an absolutely fantastic shave! I'm loathe to judge a blade (+razor combo @Mark1966) based on a single shave. But, this was a great introduction!

The Nacet mowed through a week's growth as efficiently as any other blade I have (inc Feathers). But, it had the added advantage of being *very* smooth on my skin. No tugging. No snagging.
It *felt* like the blade is thinner than most, aiding the smoothness. But I could be imagining it. It is also a very audible blade, which comes in handy.
It is an interesting contrast to the Polsilvers which are also very sharp, but much stiffer.
Think broadsword vs one of those flexible Chinese swords. Both great. But totally different.

Well done Mr @Ferret619. You were right on the money and I would never have tried these wonderful blades had you not gone out of your way. You are a gentleman.

... Another shave like that and I may need to place a bulk order.

Late next week, I'll try the Perma-Sharps.

Razor: Rockwell 6c (#5)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Soap : B&M Cheshire
Brush: 1092 synthetic
A/S: B&M Reserve Spice

First shave since my first attempt with my new Feather AC SS. I'm putting the SS aside for the time being because I need to do some interviews over the next few weeks and can't afford another blood-letting. I'll pick it up again when things calm down.

In the meantime, @Ferret619 and I have had several discussions about our blade choices. It turns out that our preferences are very similar and he very kindly sent me some of his favourites to try.

Well, I tried one of his Nacet blades this morning. I admit I wasn't expecting much because a) I'm a cranky old man and b) I didn't sleep well.
But, against all odds, I had an absolutely fantastic shave! I'm loathe to judge a blade (+razor combo @Mark1966) based on a single shave. But, this was a great introduction!

The Nacet mowed through a week's growth as efficiently as any other blade I have (inc Feathers). But, it had the added advantage of being *very* smooth on my skin. No tugging. No snagging.
It *felt* like the blade is thinner than most, aiding the smoothness. But I could be imagining it. It is also a very audible blade, which comes in handy.
It is an interesting contrast to the Polsilvers which are also very sharp, but much stiffer.
Think broadsword vs one of those flexible Chinese swords. Both great. But totally different.

Well done Mr @Ferret619. You were right on the money and I would never have tried these wonderful blades had you not gone out of your way. You are a gentleman.

... Another shave like that and I may need to place a bulk order.

Late next week, I'll try the Perma-Sharps.
Glad you like em :)
I just got another 100 myself

Razor: Rockwell 6S – 3
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap: B&M Cologne Russe

Very nice to use the boar brush again after a week on synthetic. My beloved Semogue whipped up a very generous lather, shot here.

20157703_1628801387132293_5214608741574462816_o.jpg

Brush: hjm, boar
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Sandalwood
Razor: Ever Ready, Streamline
Blade: Gem, SS

Hot towels, first brush, great soap, fantastic razor, lovely, old school, APR.
Ahh, ready for a nice cup of tea on a day off​
Nice looking razor there @Sticky .

Preshave: Hot water splash
Razor/Blade: Assylum Evolution & Perma Sharp (1)
Brush: Boots Butterscotch.
Soap: Sqaudron Soap "Spitfire"
Post shave: Hot water splash, Cold Water Splash, Witchhazel.
Aftershave/Edp: Squadron Soap "Scramble"

I made a change from using Voskhod blades to Perma Sharp blades just for a change however the last few shaves using the Perma Sharps is leaving me with some irritation and a few weepers so it will be back to the Voskhods as soon as I can find where to get them at the right price ;)
Cheers Tony & Enjoy your weekend lads.

HTuC79F.jpg

I made a change from using Voskhod blades to Perma Sharp blades just for a change however the last few shaves using the Perma Sharps is leaving me with some irritation and a few weepers so it will be back to the Voskhods as soon as I can find where to get them at the right price ;)

HTuC79F.jpg

Great photo! And a great looking razor !

Razorock Baby Smooth Al / Ladas (2)
Maseto 2-band Finest / Stirling Scots Pine Sheep​

First shave in my own den after a month - since then I lost a good friend and now I am an orphan as well...really hope things don't get worse...The razor struggled during the first pass and my neck was already irritated from my curly 6 day beard, but it feels good to be smooth again

Progress-long handle
PolAg (4)
RR Bruce synth
Tiki Bar Kon Tiki
Anherb milk

It's such a pity Amanda couldn't handle the business side of her soap making cos she absolutely nailed the formula!

The lather is always just so luscious and creamy. I got one of those Ultra BBS today!!

The scent is light but a lovely smokey, dark vetiver, not the earthy/dirt type (which i also like).

It's such a pity Amanda couldn't handle the business side of her soap making cos she absolutely nailed the formula!

From my understanding, it got fairly serious for her in her personal life - I'm not sure she is entirely to blame tbh given the circumstances and how things escalated so dramatically.

From my understanding, it got fairly serious for her in her personal life - I'm not sure she is entirely to blame tbh given the circumstances and how things escalated so dramatically.

That's what i also thought until she stuffed up her return to the business after stating things had been sorted and that she was back to the business full-time.

A great pity in any case. I have 3 of her soaps and love each one! A perfect blend of formula, skin loving ingredients and scents.

HTuC79F.jpg

Great photo! And a great looking razor !

Here here great pic and love the look of that razor!

Also anyone notice or is it me that the boars are in this winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.