Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
23F7BF77-EAB1-4DA2-948A-3DA8F5A219AA_zpstsmkak82.jpg

Pre: Warm Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Bay & Lime
Brush: Shavemac
Razor: Breidora 11/16" 1/4 Grind

Scuttle lathered my Bay & Lime with the Shavemac which worked great but the Shavemac aerated the lather more than the boar. Didn't matter though it was still fantastic on the face and enough lather left over to do it all again post shave. I was hoping this batch was going to be good so I did actually make a double puck batch. So if anyone wants to give it a try I've got a 2nd puck to go, just PM me. I had dialled up the fragrance level in Soapcalc on this batch by a couple of points as in some of my previous batches the fragrance was fading. The fragrance hangs around for a while now and I love it.
As much as I love the Brass General I can't stay away from my straights (though the BG will make regular appearances). When I started with straights I thought I'd prefer the 1/2 and 1/4 grinds but have come to prefer the full hollows. The Breidora is still great fun to pull out in the rotation.

Bay and lime? Sounds like an awesome combination mate!!

Bay and lime? Sounds like an awesome combination mate!!
The scent profile is Bay, Lime, Sweet Orange, Clove and Cinnamon. I'm happy with it. Next batch I'm going to have a crack at a Bay Rum mix. I've got some tussah silk coming so I'm keen to see what that does to the mix. I like what the clays do, especially for the straight razors.

Rockwell R3
PolAg (4)
RR Bruce
SV Felce Aromatica
Bombay Shaving Company AS gel

Lovely shave today! My less-agitation lathering method is working a treat! I'm really enjoying the lather behaviour and also the added control over lather hydration!! In fact, I could have added more water today but I guess I'm not used to adding so much water with my previous lathering method so I'll dial it in with more practice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, SV soaps are dynamite!! I really couldn't be happier. I takes me about 10 seconds of loading to yield lather enough for 3 passes plus a big glob down the drain!

The AS gel is a treat! Non-greasy (for the current warm weather), smells great and has very nice stuff in it (including witch hazel, which I haven't seen in an ASB or gel before).

Razor: Rockwell 6c (#5)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Pre: eShave pre-shave oil
Soap : PAA Déjà Fougère
Brush: 1092 synthetic
A/S: PAA Déjà Fougère

Second shave with a Nacet blade. I am a convert. It turns my 6c (#5) from a deadly katana to a satin pillow.
Rather than cleaving the hair in a violent battle, tempered only with my steady hand, it instead sweetly sings each follicle to sleep before gently smothering them into submission. It is so easy it feels like cheating.

*sigh* Just when I thought I had it all figured out, @Ferret619 went and showed me how much more there was.
These are good problems to have...

I will be placing a bulk order of these.

Last edited:
Razor: Rockwell 6c (#5)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Pre: eShave pre-shave oil
Soap : PAA Déjà Fougère
Brush: 1092 synthetic
A/S: PAA Déjà Fougère

Second shave with a Nacet blade. I am a convert. It turns my 6c (#5) from a deadly katana to a satin pillow.
Rather than cleaving the hair in a violent battle, tempered only with my steady hand, it instead sweetly sings each follicle to sleep before gently smothering them into submission. It is so easy it feels like cheating.

*sigh* Just when I thought I had it all figured out, @Ferret619 went and showed me how much more there was.
These are good problems to have...

I will be placing a bulk order of these.
Glad you like em :)

Razor: Wilkinson Sticky (first use)
Blade: Polsilver (1) (first use)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout (first use)
Brush: TF Amber and Ash Synthetic
Post: Gillette 2 Phase AS + Narcisco Rodriguez Bleu Noir EdT

Thoughts...
- Yet another Shaver Heaven triumph of a soap. Great cushion, glide and residual slickness. I'm not a fan of gourmand scents as a rule but this felt very comforting for a languid Sunday shave before a silly busy week.
- I had 3 and a bit days worth of growth so I set this mild razor quite a challenge for my first go. While it took 4 passes and quite a few pick-ups, I have an irritation free BBS without any weepers or issues. It took a little while to find the optimum angle but then it was relaxed and easy. What a quality design. I didn't find myself as excited about the sticky plastic as some but it really is an idiot proof shave. How much is the razor and these blades I don't know yet as I crazily combined 2 new products.
- The Gillette AS goes on oily but is rapidly absorbed. Very light scent which is what I wanted because I felt like Bleu Noir for my evening. Very happy with the face feel 5 minutes in.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade:
Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (12)
Brush:
Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Mystic Waters Sardinian Honey shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Un côtelette de porc splash
Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Un côtelette de porc balm
Cologne: N/A

Early morning shave for an early morning flight. ADL here I come, well at least to arrive, go to a conference, speak, go to a dinner, go to the second day of the conference and speak and fly home ...

Oh to have time to relax, do some razor hunting or try to catch up with the wonderful P&C crew in ADL :(

TdwMr2n.jpg

Chantillon Lux Pre Shave
Paladin PK-47
Timeless
Feather
Soap By Luna - Geranio romero y clavo
Chatillon Lux La Quatrième Ville Salve
Chatillon Lux La Quatrième Ville Aftershave
AP Reserve EDP

Razor: Slim 5 then 7
Blade: Nacet 3
Soap: Washpool original
Brush: Zenith boar
Nacet was great in the Slim today and I didn't do any prep apart from hot water. Sometimes stuff works.
How tight are you supposed to tighten in blade on Slim? Til it pushes blade up into head in a curve? Previously I was being very gentle so I don't know whether I was taking it all the way 'home'.

EceTO9w.png

Date: 24 July 2017 is nearly 8:15am in West of London............With a hangover :hungover:

Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #3
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

How tight are you supposed to tighten in blade on Slim? Til it pushes blade up into head in a curve? Previously I was being very gentle so I don't know whether I was taking it all the way 'home'.

I read on a advertisement for a Gillette Slim Adjustable to turn another half a turn after the door closes. In another I read to turn it as far as it will go. For mine I reckon it is a good half turn once the doors close properly. For mine it hits a point it will not go further so that is where I put it to!

I read on a advertisement for a Gillette Slim Adjustable to turn another half a turn after the door closes. In another I read to turn it as far as it will go. For mine I reckon it is a good half turn once the doors close properly. For mine it hits a point it will not go further so that is where I put it to!
Thanks @Phil that sounds right. I think I was being too gentle before. That extra half turn pushes the blade up into the curve of the closed doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.