Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade(s): Feather (2)
Brush: TF Lava Demon 26mm
Soap/Cream: B&M "Cologne Russe"

A new Feather blade and "Cologne Russe" this morning. I think I must be mastering the brush or possibly fluked it with my lathering this morning, because the amount and consistency of the lather was fantastic. Shaving with a feather in a feather has always been a close shave, but I think too many passes starts to aggravate my skin. I did a test a while back by starting with a Polsilver for two passes and finishing with the Feather. Still possibly the smoothest shave I have had, so may try this again to check for a consistent result. The scent was for me was the nicest of the four I had and is possibly the longest lasting scent after shaving. My order is Cologne Russe, Seville, Le Grand Chypre and Lavanille. Hoping I can start to appreciate the Lavanille a little more as the website says it changes with use.

Ya8YxvS.jpg

La Toja Pre
Simpson CH2
MergressXL
Feather
Eufros Agarwood
AP Reserve Winterfell Aftershave Balm
AP Reserve Winterfell Aftershave
AP Reserve Winterfell EDP

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (15)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose splash
Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose balm
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose EDP

Sensitive to @littleaussiebleeder's concerns I figured I should push through and try to get some value out of this blade ...

... or I simply forgot to change it and had no time this morning. Great shave regardless

Happy Friday guys

I love a man who is prepared to take one for the team! I think I might send you a medal! :love:;):smug:

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Nacet (2)
Soap: PBgoose bay/lime
Brush: silvertip whipped dog

In my efforts to get a better read on this soap for PBgoose I tried adding too much water and was met with what appeared to be a foamy somewhat messy lather but it remained quite dense dispite the size of the bubbles, it was slicker than in shaves past and really performed well even when abused a little. I got a very close clean and irritation free shave in 2 passes.

Date: 11 August 2017 is nearly 6am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
Lather: - Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
Blade: - Gillette Silver Blue #1
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade(s): Feather (2)
Brush: TF Lava Demon 26mm
Soap/Cream: B&M "Cologne Russe"

A new Feather blade and "Cologne Russe" this morning. I think I must be mastering the brush or possibly fluked it with my lathering this morning, because the amount and consistency of the lather was fantastic. Shaving with a feather in a feather has always been a close shave, but I think too many passes starts to aggravate my skin. I did a test a while back by starting with a Polsilver for two passes and finishing with the Feather. Still possibly the smoothest shave I have had, so may try this again to check for a consistent result. The scent was for me was the nicest of the four I had and is possibly the longest lasting scent after shaving. My order is Cologne Russe, Seville, Le Grand Chypre and Lavanille. Hoping I can start to appreciate the Lavanille a little more as the website says it changes with use.
Keep persisting with the Lavanille @Phil - its one of my favourites and is a complex and rewarding scent once you get used to it ;)

11/08/17
pre:shower + hot water before applying the lather
soap: B&M Latha Sandalwood
shavette: The buelbeards revenge
blade: Astra green
after-bal: The Stray Whisker
after-splash: Floid suave

sL5NsYg.jpg

Some minor adjustments in the left side of my face using a merkur c42 with an Astra Blue. Not a truly bbs but quite confi. I need more experience to risk more with the shavette. Astra Blue is going to take the 1 position, which is now on the Astra green (still need to try more brands, of course)

cheers
Fer

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus

Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: ATT Kronos Open Comb H2 plate
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (1)

Finally plucked up the courage to have a crack at the H2 plate of my Above The Tie Kronos. It is only just below the R41 for aggressiveness. I took a little extra time with my go-to soap, Haslinger Schafmilch, and had plenty of lush, slick lather. I also employed one of my all time favourite blades - the vintage Gillette Super Silver. The WTG pass was fine; a tiny weeper under a nostril due to a careless stroke. Lots of blade feel, but not in the slightest rough.
The XTG pass was not as comfortable, and I had some irritation on my neck. A quick feel after the pass revealed that I was not too far from BBS, confirming the efficiency of the combination. I considered terminating at this point, but was curious, and did a very careful ATG/cleanup pass.
The end result was the closest shave I can recall. This came at a cost, as when buffing around my chin, I scored a couple of extra weepers. My face felt a little raw, but an application of the excess Haslinger lather post-shave helped to sooth this.
My normal application of Myrsol Emulsion produced a first for me with the product - slight discomfort for 10 seconds or so. Whilst this settled down and was eventually soothing, it has never occurred before in hundreds of applications, and underlined to me that my skin had copped a work-out.
A very interesting shave. My conclusion is that despite my best efforts, I was still applying a little too much pressure for this very aggressive combination, and need to address this when next I load up.

Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (14)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Captain's Choice Bay Rum splash
Aftershave Balm: N/A
Cologne: N/A

Fourteen shaves and this blade is coming to the end.
...but what a great blade.

Pre: Hot towel
Soap: Jabonman Tierra Humeda
Brush: Semogue Owners Club boar
Razor: Gillette Old
Blade: Feather (2)

Was kindly gifted a sample of this soap with a recent purchase from @Korbz , was instantly intrigued so had to try it tonight. Luxurious lather and the scent is so left field it speaks to me! If anyone has a tub of this in their drawer that they want to move on I'd be interested.

I like the aggressive shave of the feather in the old style, but have to pay attention! A little lazy on the blade angle around the neck and I'm a little raw in a couple of spots. :facepalm:

A9FDFAEB-18D1-4B04-A80E-499588C75D21_zpsuzsebrbr.jpg

Pre: Shower
Soap: Pb Bay/Lime
Brush: Old Badger
Razor: Merkur 39C Slant
Blade: Perma Sharp Super (1)
Couldn't get the lather I was after this morning lathering on the soap. Try the boar brush next time in the scuttle. Didn't matter though as that was the best DE shave I've had for a while with slant combined with the Perma Sharp.

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose splash
Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose balm
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Bourbon Rose EDP

GOOD morning everyone, lovely day, lovely shave. New blade, 15 was enough @littleaussiebleeder, same wonderful APR Fougère Bourbon Rose set - one of my favs at the moment, if not the fav - and an amazing razor. I can now get it to sing, literally, on first use thanks to the advice from @bald as that let me to treat it like a SE. It really has some audible feedback - and a BBS result.

Does it get any better then this?

Razor: Colonial General with Windrose handle then Schick G Type Injector
Blade: Feather Pro (2) then Schick Twin (3)
Soap: Local Gent Kona Colada Sample (first use)
Brush: TF Amber and Ash Synthetic

Thoughts...
- I'm gradually dialling in my favourite routine as I come up to a year of wetshaving. This setup, besides the soap, is my ideal luxurious weekend kit. Bowl lathering soap then the Colonial General for the face and especially neck, Schick G Type for the top of the ears (I'm of Scottish extraction and grow hair in stupid places). Then I finish up with APR and smell like a duke.
- Local Gent is a paragonic example of a good soap with great scent but it's not a great performing soap like Valobra or APR's latest formula. It gives me a few weepers with the Colonial on the second and third pass buffing. Not bad ones that need alum but the General demands top-notch cushion and glide to reward you with perfect shaves. If you haven't had a great experience with the Colonial please try it with a top, top performing soap before you BST. Of course this soap works brilliantly well with the mild Schick which is the best mild razor I have ever used. Etsy stores have good ones for $30AUD delivered from the US if you search properly.
- There was a time I didn't like Tony's plissoft type knot in this beautiful handle and I've dabbled with gamechangers, badgers, horses and boars. But I keep coming back. The tiny bit of scritch I thought I didn't like has disappeared and this brush lathers anything quickly and easily. It's soft with decent backbone. It's a deadset star and I do not understand why nobody has purchased its twin still sitting in his store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.