Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A really pleasant 2 pass shave with a fresh hone off the Arkansas Translucent stone.
Semogue 620 Boar - great little brush.
My soap - something with excess Lemon Myrtle. I keep loosing the last recipe so have to create a new one each time.
ZY Chinese blade. Far better than many give it credit.
Macadamia nut oil with excess Lemon Myrtle.

Really only needed one pass but 2 seemed the complete number on a Friday evening.

I like your scuttle l have one coming for father's day, must tell the boys i am getting it
Is it a HG? You'll have to post a photo when you get it. I really like the HG scuttle, so will be interested in what you get and what you think of it.

pkwyXLGl.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 403 Pure Badger
Razor: EJ 89
Blade: English Wilky
Soap: OSP Lavender
A/S: Simpsons Skinfood
Cologne: D.R. Harris Lavender Water

A really pleasant 2 pass shave with a fresh hone off the Arkansas Translucent stone.
Semogue 620 Boar - great little brush.
My soap - something with excess Lemon Myrtle. I keep loosing the last recipe so have to create a new one each time.
ZY Chinese blade. Far better than many give it credit.
Macadamia nut oil with excess Lemon Myrtle.

Really only needed one pass but 2 seemed the complete number on a Friday evening.
I have a 620 as well, they really are great aren't they.

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (8)
Brush: Shavemac Americana DO1
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann 'Cologne Russe' shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Barrister & Mann 'Cologne Russe' splash
Cologne: N/A

Good to be home, although decidedly cooler than the Gold Coast here!

21122337_1665854323426999_3039724663978909277_o.jpg

Brush: Simpsons PJ2
Soap: APR, Lixiviant
Razor: Ever Ready, 1912
Blade: Gem SS

I was lucky enough to pick up the Lixiviant set from @todras and tried it for the first time this morning.
What fantastic scent! I'm not sure that I should trouble you all with my bumbling scent description but I'm certainly not disappointed. It's great to see APR going from strength to strength, those Americans are in for a treat.
I was thinking too much about the lather, just expecting the same great results I get from the APR, SAA, but no! I don't know what has changed or if it's just me, but the lather seems even silkier and smoother than before and the slickness was fantastic too.
The Razor has been sitting in a box for over 60 years waiting for today and it's chance to shine. The lightweight handle gives a great grip, must be almost impossible to slip! The 1912 head is a great efficient design. So shine it did.

Have a great weekend.

2047DE4E-94C4-4B4F-9C01-8D247BB954C5_zpsj3krmxph.jpg

Pre: Shower
Soap: Washpool
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Wapienica (hollowed wedge)

Honed the Wapienica last night. This is the hardest blade I have to hone due to a nasty warp in the blade. It did hone up OK but it's not the most enjoyable blade to hone as I have to keep moving pressure and the whole process drags out. Will have to try different technique next hone I think. I was a bit dubious as to how the shave would go but it did a decent job so it gets to stay in the rotation.

Blood Bath Shave Saved

Razor: Gem Micromatic OC (last time ever) then 1920s Gillette Canadian Tuckaway (first time)
Blade: GEM PFTE Blade (1) then Gillette 7'Oclock Stainless Green (1)
Soap: Valobra Cologne
Brush: Wolfpac 28mm Best Badger soaked in one of my Handsome Brush Soakers(tm)
Post: Alum + Pitralon Classic AS + APR Aqua di Sydney EdP

Thoughts
- I have tried to get along with my 1930s NRA-branded Gem Micromatic. Honest. I have five times now. I thought a relaxing Saturday shave with two-day growth and a brilliant Valobra lather would do the trick. No. It's just far too aggressive for a razor so picky on angle and I don't have a spare face to practice on when I have a Colonial General in the den staring at me wondering why I even bothered. Not many nicks, no... but the ones I did were *really* well done. Like a girlfriend from my 20s - she's utterly gorgeous and promises so much but ends up being too dangerous with a blade. We are done, done, done, done.
- My "new" 1920s Tuckaway I rescued last week from a Guildford vintage store for $10 is beat-up aesthetically but a BEAUTIFULLY smooth and mild shaver. It was a perfect antidote to a hitherto crap shave. I'm sure it was loved by the last owner who used it before it grew 60 years of tarnish in a shed.
- After quite a bit of alum work the Pitralon AS had me singing about bananas. I probably prefer the green classic but it's still a beaut with great face feel.

Last edited:
Blood Bath Shave Saved

Razor: Gem Micromatic OC (last time ever) then 1920s Gillette Canadian Tuckaway (first time)
Blade: GEM PFTE Blade (1) then Gillette 7'Oclock Stainless Green (1)
Soap: Valobra Cologne
Brush: Wolfpac 28mm Best Badger soaked in one of my Handsome Brush Soakers(tm)
Post: Alum + Pitralon Classic AS + APR Aqua di Sydney EdP

Thoughts
- I have tried to get along with my 1930s NRA-branded Gem Micromatic. Honest. I have five times now. I thought a relaxing Saturday shave with two-day growth and a brilliant Valobra lather would do the trick. No. It's just far too aggressive for a razor so picky on angle and I don't have a spare face to practice on when I have a Colonial General in the den staring at me wondering why I even bothered. Not many nicks, no... but the ones I did were *really* well done. Like a girlfriend from my 20s - she's utterly gorgeous and promises so much but ends up being too dangerous with a blade. We are done, done, done, done.
- My "new" 1920s Tuckaway I rescued last week from a Guildford vintage store for $10 is beat-up aesthetically but a BEAUTIFULLY smooth and mild shaver. It was a perfect antidote to a hitherto crap shave. I'm sure it was loved by the last owner who used it before it grew 60 years of tarnish in a shed.
- After quite a bit of alum work the Pitralon AS had me singing about bananas. I probably prefer the green classic but it's still a beaut with great face feel.

It's a great shame you're not getting on with the Micromatic OC, I rather like them, great close shave though some caution is required. Are you sure yours is as it should be NRA, Nasty Razor Association?

It's a great shame you're not getting on with the Micromatic OC, I rather like them, great close shave though some caution is required. Are you sure yours is as it should be NRA, Nasty Razor Association?

I have to try a straight bar one... so haven't ruled out all Gems... but this one in its great box is now display only. @Cris seems to love his bullet tip... I'll get one of those.

Pre: Hot water + proto-lather, a bit of hot water extra before deploying the lather form the bowl
shavette The bluebeards revenge with Astra Super Platinun
brush: FS mict
soap: Cella
After 1: Lather on the face
After 2: shower
after 3: Floid suave
after 4: TSW balm
EdC: Alt-Innsbruck

jsewTUq.jpg

Finally I tried cella, after having it loosing scent for a long time. Also, as I don't like much the scent, I wasn't really keen to use it as that would mean not using a better scented one like APR FBR or the others. That's the same thing happening with tobs avocado. I have not used it for ages, because the scent is not of my taste.

Cella is certainly a good soap in terms of performance, and cheap, but the scent is not for me. It was a potential adquisition but thankfully for a pif, It won't

Status
Not open for further replies.