Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to get along with my 1930s NRA-branded Gem Micromatic. Honest. I have five times now.

The micromatic OC is definitely not the one to use if taking blood thinners. I think it is the only GEM I have that really requires attention to both angle and pressure, at the same time.. I have never been bitten by mine but rates up there with a Kamasori for attention to detail.

Well written SOTD as well :)

EkBT3rc.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: Timeless 0.68 Scalloped SS UFO Titan L kindly loaned by @Korbz
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Maseto
Lather: Australian Private Reserve Mycroft
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Another super close shave with the Timeless, but I think I prefer the smaller and lighter Hempel Ti handle.

The Maseto is really the best bang for your buck at the moment - producing some stellar Australian Private Reserve lather.

I hope you all have a great weekend (y)

Knot is 25mm and loft is 55mm (standard is 57mm). It's truly wonderful but I'm not sure he posts outside the US yet... i got mine through a friend.

@SpeedyPC
Just thought I'd mention that i wouldn't recommend the quarter moon synth brush. I find it to be quite difficult to splay and given it's a fan knot, it's even more annoying as it feels like a "wet noodle" on the face!

Their full moon is a significantly better knot and is recommend it highly. If you want a black/white synth, go with the tuxedo.

Pre:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar

Soap: OSP Barbershop
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
EDP: Parfum de Marley Galloway

Home after a week in the Pilbara. Really enjoyed a leisurely shave.
On the first use, I'd have to say that the OSP soap was outstanding. It is a herbaceous take on Barbershop, with lavender and rosemary prominent. The lather quality, especially slickness, was top notch. I was very close after 2 passes, but couldn't resist a final ATG pass; again smooth and efficient, leaving me BBS and smiling.
Finished with the wonderful Galloway scent.

Razor: Vintage Darwin Standard
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson '46' reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Captain's Choice Bay Rum splash
Cologne: N/A

Some mornings are bay rum mornings - nice ...

21105663_1666750203337411_8448121860559708094_n.jpg

Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Valet, Auto Strop
Blade: Feather, FHS-10

First use of the Valet with a Feather blade and a smooth close shave. I imagined this would be a more aggressive razor but it is not. I thought I might get a couple of nicks with the Feather as I really don't get on with the Feather DE blades, but no.
All in all a very nice combination. The auto strop is a great piece of design, although now not so useful, with modern blades. I look forward to getting a strop and a Valet blade to use it as it was designed.

I picked up the Mitchell's and 620 as I was sending for the blades. This is a great simple soap. I could really see my self getting a few pucks of this and saving my pennies for aftershave/EDP. The 620 is a nice little brush, I'll have to use it some more to break it in. Two simple inexpensive but very effective additions.
Have a great Sunday

CzVvvfp.jpg

La Toja Pre Shave
Paladin Lotus
Timeless
Feather
AP Reserve Coeur de Vert
AP Reserve Coeur de Vert Aftershave
AP Reserve Coeue de Verd EDP

SUCH a tease! We have to wait for a week :)

SUCH a tease! We have to wait for a week :)

No you don't.....

Con and I met up again yesterday to grab some food and I delivered the EDP's to him. The Stray Whisker will have the soap's, aftershaves and the EDP's on sale from Tuesday afternoon this week!!

As I recently shipped a large order to Maggards, we both felt it appropriate that Australians have the first chance to obtain the new spring fragrances with the new artwork, it is Australian Private Reserve after all :)

No you don't.....

Con and I met up again yesterday to grab some food and I delivered the EDP's to him. The Stray Whisker will have the soap's, aftershaves and the EDP's on sale from Tuesday afternoon this week!!

As I recently shipped a large order to Maggards, we both felt it appropriate that Australians have the first chance to obtain the new spring fragrances with the new artwork, it is Australian Private Reserve after all :)

YIPPEE!

Only 2 days 2 hours 13 minutes to wait :)

67309682-777D-4D0E-A436-0F08211FD1D0_zpsc12xlk1m.jpg

Pre: Shower
Soap: APR Bay City
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Lindberg Munchen
Honed this razor last night. The blade is showing its age with some minor pitting showing up under the scope which will make subsequent honings interesting as the pitting comes into the bevel. Hopefully the pitting is shallow and will hone out. A good shave from the Lindberg today.
The family has been stuck inside with the flu thing this w/e so I felt like an outside shot for SOTD this morning.

Date: 27 August 2017 is nearly 7am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - Envy Shave '8 Ball' 25/53mm Black Wolf Fan Knot
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
Blade: - Rapira Platinum Lux #1
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

I can only get two shaves no more with the Feather blade using the Gillette Ball End Tech which is a real shame, so I've bought a pack of 5 blades of Rapira Platinum Lux to try out with my Gillette Ball End Tech and see how far this blade can reach.

@SpeedyPC
Just thought I'd mention that i wouldn't recommend the quarter moon synth brush. I find it to be quite difficult to splay and given it's a fan knot, it's even more annoying as it feels like a "wet noodle" on the face!

Their full moon is a significantly better knot and is recommend it highly. If you want a black/white synth, go with the tuxedo.

@nav1 is very hard for me to say because I only have one Envy Shave '8 Ball' Black Wolf fan synthetic which is very similar to quarter moon synthetic by TurnNShave (used to be call EverShave), I have no issue face lather with a tuxedo fan knot from Envy Shave so I cannot compare both brushes. When I get home from UK on the 23rd of Sept. I'm planning to get a 28mm tuxedo brush in bulb while I'm still investigating about what loft height should I have for face lathering.

Watch the youtube clip EverShave has change the name to TurnNShave

Last edited:
Date: 27 August 2017 is nearly 7am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - Envy Shave '8 Ball' 25/53mm Black Wolf Fan Knot
Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
Blade: - Rapira Platinum Lux #1
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

I can only get two shaves no more with the Feather blade using the Gillette Ball End Tech which is a real shame, so I've bought a pack of 5 blades of Rapira Platinum Lux to try out with my Gillette Ball End Tech and see how far this blade can reach.

@nav1 is very hard for me to say because I only have one Envy Shave '8 Ball' Black Wolf fan synthetic which is very similar to quarter moon synthetic by TurnNShave (used to be call EverShave), I have no issue face lather with a tuxedo fan from Envy Shave so I cannot compare both brushes. When I get home from UK on the 23rd of Sept. I'm planning to get a 28mm tuxedo brush in bulb while I'm still investigating about what loft height should I have for face lathering.

You STILL in the UK mate. Gee, almost emigrating! Stay safe over there.

You STILL in the UK mate. Gee, almost emigrating! Stay safe over there.
@Mark1966 I really want to come home as UK is still tight in security around London almost everyday is making me feel uncomfortable all the time on public transport checking everybody from time to time, so I am still safe and okay as well as my everyday Masonic Lodges at the Grand Lodge of England ;)

@nav1 is very hard for me to say because I only have one Envy Shave '8 Ball' Black Wolf fan synthetic which is very similar to quarter moon synthetic by TurnNShave (used to be call EverShave), I have no issue face lather with a tuxedo fan knot from Envy Shave so I cannot compare both brushes. When I get home from UK on the 23rd of Sept. I'm planning to get a 28mm tuxedo brush in bulb while I'm still investigating about what loft height should I have for face lathering.

Watch the youtube clip EverShave has change the name to TurnNShave

Ruds video is what got me interested in evershave.

Whilst the quarter moon is nice for sure, i just feel I like it less than my razorock Bruce.

I won't know exactly how it compares with the Tuxedo but from all the reviews, it seems there Tuxedo has a natural splay whereas the quarter moon really doesn't like to splay unless forced to.

No you don't.....

Brilliant news! Our American friends are in for a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.