Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pbgoose, is this suited for just regular brush maintenance or is it to get rid of the funky smell that some new brushes have?
I had determined not to buy used brushes due to perceived hygiene issues. Over the last several months I had occasionally googled brush disinfection and a lot of the discussion is vague and unsatisfactory. Barbicide seems like a reasonable choice as that is what is universally accepted for razor disinfection though some are reluctant to use it on their brushes in case of damage. This is the first time I had tried it on brushes and tried it on one brush first being prepared to throw it away if it was damaged. The brushes I used it on were Boar and Horse/Badger and none of them seemed to be adversely affected. If you use it, exercise caution and rinse well as I think the barbicide would be the most likely to aggravate skin if any residue was left in the brush. That is why I used it first as part of the process.
I had also read that vinegar can disinfect and that seemed appealing to me as I also thought it would strip soap scum. Both barbicide and vinegar appeared to clean the brushes as the solutions clouded up during the immersion.
I used the TABAC as I thought it would be good to 'normalise' the brush odor. It worked.
I think I would only use this process for 2nd hand brushes and personally I would only buy brushes that haven't seen a lot of use.
For periodical maintenance I think I would just use the vinegar and maybe some shampoo first. This of course is all my own subjective opinion as how do you determine efficacy of disinfection in a brush without going to unreasonable expense and what level of odor do you deem acceptable in a brush?
Just a 'yes' would've been shorter right?:)

I had determined not to buy used brushes due to perceived hygiene issues. Over the last several months I had occasionally googled brush disinfection and a lot of the discussion is vague and unsatisfactory. Barbicide seems like a reasonable choice as that is what is universally accepted for razor disinfection though some are reluctant to use it on their brushes in case of damage. This is the first time I had tried it on brushes and tried it on one brush first being prepared to throw it away if it was damaged. The brushes I used it on were Boar and Horse/Badger and none of them seemed to be adversely affected. If you use it, exercise caution and rinse well as I think the barbicide would be the most likely to aggravate skin if any residue was left in the brush. That is why I used it first as part of the process.
I had also read that vinegar can disinfect and that seemed appealing to me as I also thought it would strip soap scum. Both barbicide and vinegar appeared to clean the brushes as the solutions clouded up during the immersion.
I used the TABAC as I thought it would be good to 'normalise' the brush odor. It worked.
I think I would only use this process for 2nd hand brushes and personally I would only buy brushes that haven't seen a lot of use.
For periodical maintenance I think I would just use the vinegar and maybe some shampoo first. This of course is all my own subjective opinion as how do you determine efficacy of disinfection in a brush without going to unreasonable expense and what level of odor do you deem acceptable in a brush?
Just a 'yes' would've been shorter right?:)
Very interesting discussion. I would add that a Borax solution is also an effective agent for cleaning brushes. Savile Row recommend this for soap scum build-up.
I'd be pretty confident that Barbicide would totally disinfect the brush with a 10 minute soak. Subsequent soaks in borax and/or vinegar would remove residual soap scum. I use this routine with my brushes once a year to condition them, but substitute the Barbicide soak with a detergent soak. However, I don't disagree with using Barbicide for second-hand brushes. And yes, rinse very thoroughly to remove all traces of the Barbicide before doing the borax and/or vinegar soaks. I hadn't considered finishing off with a Tabac lather, but it seems a good idea. Or even better, use some Toivo - what say you, @Greenpike ?

11HGf2y.jpg

SOTD (6/10/2017)

Pre:
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor: Mongoose SE
Blade: Kai Captain Original (1x)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap/Cream: SH Limone Dolce
AS: Thayer's Lemon/Myrsol Agua De Limon
Balm: SH Summer Breeze
Fragrance: Nautica Voyage EDT

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb Bay Lime
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: Asylum Rx
Blade: Schick Proline
Acceptable shave with the Asylum/Proline combo. Still not free of irritation or weepers. The only milder combination option left for the Asylum is with the guarded blades, but to me that feels like pulling out the training wheels. I can understand the idea of guarded blades for shavettes but if a razor is so aggressive it needs guarded blades do I even want to go there.........maybe if it means I get an enjoyable shave with this thing. :banghead: Anybody else got experience with the guarded blades?

Toivo would work really well if you like the scent of Pine Tar. Otherwise my main de-funkify soap is always Razorock Tuscan Oud.

a 20 minute soak in the Stray Whiskers brush cleaner will see you right, I use it on all my brushes, it's good stuff.

I have only ever bought one brush second hand, I gave it a good wash, a good dry, a diluted alcohol bath, a wash and another good dry.

Morning shave today, with a lot of sun entering through the bathroom window
Shower
razor: mergard (merkur 42c head with maggard handle)
blade: wilkinson
brush: yaqi sinthetic
soap: The warden
splash: Fine L'orange noir
EdP: APR Fresca

checking hoy different after shaving flavours works with the warden for an oncoming review. Great day with a great start!

1aUb1hX.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock MJ90-A
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Morris & Forndran Tigris
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

What a great joy to have this brush back - it is still a fantastic soap killer and produced a wonderful Stirling lather. Another great shave with this razor and ready to hopefully soon start the weekend.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

Razor: aristocrat jr
Soap: GC blend
Brush: commodore
Blade: astra ss

Grim day today, have been advised my department is getting layed off
Sorry to hear that mate - life certainly has ups and downs :(

So sorry, Mate.
Let us know if there is anything we can do or if you need someone to talk to.
Thanks for the offer, I'm currently half way through a course so if I knuckle down get it done in the next few weeks, I just have to make sure I do what's expected as work closes.
I was given the option of 2 weeks paid and not turning up but I said I'm happy to come in and fulfill my duties, as they will need the help.
I just feel bad for some staff who have young kids and are the sole breadwinner of their family, It kills me I'm not in a position to help them.

Razor: aristocrat jr
Soap: GC blend
Brush: commodore
Blade: astra ss

Grim day today, have been advised my department is getting layed off

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Hopefully the course will open some doors for new directions

Thanks for the support guys, ive had a bit of a rough time actually besides losing the job, I've lost a mentor and have a rough cold currently.
That said it's all for the best, it's a great shake up and forces me out of my comfort zone and besides the support of my lovely wife, some close friends, internet pals and my fraternity, with all these perspectives I'm confident it'll get plenty of info and make a move for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.