Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
9ADB24E6-3A29-456C-8D00-E43BD420DBB0_zpsk2dbuy61.jpg

Pre: Warm Coconut Oil
Soap: Washpool
Brush: Omega 10019
Razor: Peerless 11/16"
Another fine job by the Peerless today except I lost points on the upper lip (1 nick) when I got too cocky.
The handle on the Omega is annoying but it more than made up for it with the job it did of lathering the Washpool.

Date: 05 October 2017

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - Yaqi Tuxedo Synth. 26/62mm knot
Lather: - Wholly Kaw - King of Oud (tallow) Donkey Milk 6x
Razor: - Muhle R41 v2013 with the iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Gillette Nacet #6
Post: - Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

WOW!! :eek: I cannot believe the Gillette Nacet is still going smooth with my Frankenrazor, Wholly Kaw King of Oud with Donkey Milk is truly amazing soap and my skin feels soft and smooth as a
LK91Bde.gif

Arrr, yes. Thought it was staying Winterfell in Aus.

I can't risk a CAD notice now that we are stocked in the UK and the US (and soon to be Canada), the recall/compliance costs to any such notice would be prohibitive especially if they required destruction of all existing stock. If they were seeking other relief it would be game over AP Reserve.

uEg3MFMl.jpg

Absolutely tremendous head shave!

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf
Blade: Gem PTFE
Brush: TurnNShave Custom
Soap: B&M Rhapsody

My goodness, what a shave! Rhapsody is one of, if not the first artisan soap I ever tried (courtesy of P&C, but I can't remember now which user I got it from). I don't reach for it often because the scent isn't my fave, but the performance is top-notch every time. The TurnNShave custom is a terrific brush that generates oodles of creamy lather with ease, I've loved the smell of brut since I was a young lad and Con's after balm is one of the best out there (I need to order more, this one is nearly empty). The star of the shave though was the clog pruf. Loaded up with a second use PTFE blade it as smooth and pretty efficient. The first pass wasn't super close, but it never really is for me on my head (well at least in the places I still have hair), but after the second pass and clean ups I'm left with the closest, most consistently BBS head shave I've ever achieved. I was able to buff my trouble spots as much as needed with just a little water and the residual slickness of the rhapsody with no nicks, weepers or irritation. There was barely any feedback to speak of from the alum and no sting or burn to the brut at all. Truth be told I probably didn't need the balm, but hey I love it :)

If you're a head shaver (or even if you're not) and haven't tried a clog pruf do yourself a favour and pick one up.

Last edited:
Razor: vintage merkur slant
Blade: astra ss (1)
Soap: razor master pekka

Off to see crazy horse tonight and now that my time with the box is coming to an end, I had to try the Stirling again

How would you rate the Fine:platinum?

I quite liked Stirling:Executive Man, and I believe they are both clones of Creed:Aventus.
Since I can't buy Stirling splashes here, Fine seems to be my only option.

They are indeed attempts to clone Creed Aventus, and for the price they are not too bad. The real thing though is so much more complex, which is to be expected really.

imho: Fine's platinum is the best Aventus type on the market, it uses Aroma compounds to approximate the Creed while Stirling's offering uses a combination of two fragrance oils. In practical effect (to my nose having smelled both over several months) there is more nuance to Fine's Platnium while the Stirling has more brute power (sillage), but less complexity. Before anyone explodes, I think both are very well done but if I had to choose I would go with Fine's Platinum and other people may have the exact opposite opinion :)

Also, I have a Limited Edition AP Reserve fragrance coming out in late January 2018 called 'Coolabah' that you may just like a great deal indeed if you like Creed's Aventus...

How would you rate the Fine:platinum?

I quite liked Stirling:Executive Man, and I believe they are both clones of Creed:Aventus.
Since I can't buy Stirling splashes here, Fine seems to be my only option.
There are many clones of 'Aventus' - Fine Platinum is close as @todras says - I have only tested the Aventus in stores and it is a more complex scent than the Fine Platinum (but at > 10 x the price). Platinum also has menthol like all the Fine aftershaves (which Aventus does not) - this changes the initial scent profile, but the dry down is similar.

Excellent single pass DFS with a sad tired looking Bengall 6/8" I got some time back and had not honed. It took a stunning edge off my "rocks" and gave a fabulously smooth extra close shave.
My soap, a 24mm Badger and a final smear of Macadamia nut oil with Lemon Myrtle.

Not long till the next outing. I will have to look in my draw of tired blades and restore the edge on one for tomorrow night.

Steve

They are indeed attempts to clone Creed Aventus, and for the price they are not too bad. The real thing though is so much more complex, which is to be expected really.

imho: Fine's platinum is the best Aventus type on the market, it uses Aroma compounds to approximate the Creed while Stirling's offering uses a combination of two fragrance oils. In practical effect (to my nose having smelled both over several months) there is more nuance to Fine's Platnium while the Stirling has more brute power (sillage), but less complexity. Before anyone explodes, I think both are very well done but if I had to choose I would go with Fine's Platinum and other people may have the exact opposite opinion :)

Also, I have a Limited Edition AP Reserve fragrance coming out in late January 2018 called 'Coolabah' that you may just like a great deal indeed if you like Creed's Aventus...
Wow wow wow.
I will definitely be buying 'Coolabah'. Sounds fantastic... And gotta support my favourite artisans. :D(y)

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage Aussie/Scots Permasharp (4)
Splash: Lucky Tiger Tonic

Love my Musgo Real cream. It lathers so easily and voluminously, and has a lovely warm gentle citrus scent, reminds me of European colognes. It also contains lanolin, which I believe significantly enhances its performance.
Three passes and a wee clean-up produced BBS - the lather provides some welcome residual slickness.
A generous splash of the orange-scented Lucky Tiger Tonic, and (as @Mark1966 would say), I feel ready to take on the World. A glorious shave!

Last edited:
Not a fan of the TABAC. For me I think its best use is for brush maintenance as another member suggested recently. When I received the two Omega brushes and the Vie Long brush the other day, treatment was as follows:
Barbicide - 10 mins and rinse
Vinegar - 10 mins and rinse
Lather and wash brushes with TABAC.
This process seemed to be effective at cleaning up the brushes as the solutions clouded up noticeably and these were brushes that hadn't seen a lot of work.
The barbicide in particular leaves an odour in the brushes which the TABAC seemed ideally suited to deal with. Brushes ready to go.

@Pbgoose, is this suited for just regular brush maintenance or is it to get rid of the funky smell that some new brushes have?

Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristrocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS British Wilkinson Sword (5)
Brush: Simpson LE 'The Jubilee' shaving brush 19/150
Soap/Cream: B&M 42 shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: B&M 42 aftershave
Cologne: B&M 42 EDT

Nice to be home again and a great way to end the working week.

Status
Not open for further replies.