Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (5)
Brush: Simpson LE 19/150 Jubilee shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant EDP

Great day to start a day on the 'road'.

Shameless re-use of photo too - come on, it was early when I was shaving!

Razor: flat bottom aristocrat JR
Blade: Gillette stainless (1)
Brush: commodore
Soap: 42
EDT: 42

Firstly a the Barrister and Mann Soap base is fantastic, the scent on 42 is brilliant in my opinion, I can see some not loving it but I love having my brain smashed in by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick. Second winner is the gillette stainless blade, from the first shave I can tell this is a top 3 blade.

November 7, 2017

Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
Soap: Henry Cavendish Himalaya (All Natural Shave Soap With Shea Butter & Coconut Oil)
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable -L4 (+5)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless green (3)
A/S: Mennen Skin Bracer

A DFS shave from the Slim and Henry Cavendish soap. For the first pass, I set the Slim on 5. On the second (xtg) pass I set the razor on 4, and for the third pass (agt) I set it on 3. Since my lower chin was still rough (like tiny strands of copper wire), I set the Slim to 6 to clean it up as well as I dared.

The Henry Cavendish is a traditional English glycerin-based soap. It is a hard puck and lathers well with a little effort. From what I have seen so far, this puck is going to last for a long time.

The Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush is the softest brush I have. This includes both badger and boar brushes. I have used it virtually every day for the past eight months.

TwOOWfQ.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave Butter
Thater Fünf
Gillette Slim
Feather
Sudsy Soapery+Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget
Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget Salve
Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget Aftershave
AP Reserve Yuzu Royale EDP

20171105_170949.jpg

Just a wonderful BBS with two days growth in 2.5 passes. And NO weepers from the R41 because of the super performance of Valobra in all areas bar scent. Seriously, if the R41 gives you grief don't give up till you try Valobra.

A great postshave combo as the days get warmer in Perth. Mmmm.
Which Valobra is that @Greenpike ? Do you lather on the puck?

It's the Fougere... Or the Cologne... but they all smell exactly the same to me. I'm a bowl latherer as I love the whole process. But I'm sure it would lather of the puck well.
Thanks, I just asked as I tried a sample in the travelling box 4B today and found the soap hard so it was a little difficult to press into the scuttle to bowl lather. I noticed you've got the Stirling Ozark Mountain shave soap. Do you like that soap? Tried a sample of the AS in the travelling box and liked it so curious about the soap.

Thanks, I just asked as I tried a sample in the travelling box 4B today and found the soap hard so it was a little difficult to press into the scuttle to bowl lather. I noticed you've got the Stirling Ozark Mountain shave soap. Do you like that soap? Tried a sample of the AS in the travelling box and liked it so curious about the soap.

Yep. I had the same travelling box and loved Ozark Mountain AS. I also had a sniff of the soap at @TomG s house so I definately wanted to buy it. It's a very green scent, similar to a Pino Silvestre and I love those notes in summer. It pairs well which is good because getting Ozark AS in Australia is a no go. Soap is a brilliant performer as all Stirling's are. I'll send you a sample if you want?

Oh, and load Valobra like 'you hate it'.

It's the Fougere... Or the Cologne... but they all smell exactly the same to me. I'm a bowl latherer as I love the whole process. But I'm sure it would lather of the puck well.

I found very little difference myself, but as you mentioned it's a soap that we use due to the quality of the shave and particularly the lather, it's just phenomenal.

Yep. I had the same travelling box and loved Ozark Mountain AS. I also had a sniff of the soap at @TomG s house so I definately wanted to buy it. It's a very green scent, similar to a Pino Silvestre and I love those notes in summer. It pairs well which is good because getting Ozark AS in Australia is a no go. Soap is a brilliant performer as all Stirling's are. I'll send you a sample if you want?

Oh, and load Valobra like 'you hate it'.
Yeah, I had no problem with the lather. It was great.
Thanks for the offer of the Ozark Mountain! Save the hassle though and I'll just put it on my wish list.

Razor: Vintage British Gillette Aristocrat #15
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless 'Aussie Spoiler' (4)
Brush: Simpson LE 19/150 Jubilee shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant shaving soap
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant splash
Cologne: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Lixiviant EDP

Firstly, thanks to @Bozley82 for the Lixiviant, it arrived yesterday.

Accordingly to Wikipedia -

A lixiviant is a liquid medium used in hydrometallurgy to selectively extract the desired metal from the ore or mineral. It assists in rapid and complete leaching. The metal can be recovered from it in a concentrated form after leaching.
Lixiviants may work by altering the redox state of an ore, or by altering the pH. Acidic lixiviants, such as sulfuric acid, are commonly used to leach base metals such as copper, whereas basic lixiviants such as a solution of sodium cyanide are used to leach precious metals.
The origin is the word lixiviate, meaning to leach, to dissolve out, deriving from the Latin lixivium.

In turn Dictionary.com tells me that lixivium is from the Latin word lixīvium (lye) and was first recorded in 1605-15.

I couldn't see sulfuric acid or sodium cyanide on the ingredients list though - so we must be pretty safe o_O. I am thinking though that my face is fairly precious and that must have been the connection that @todras had in mind :)

Nice one Mark! Loved it!! :joyful:

I have good set of high quality essential oils and synthetic fragrances from my candle making procrastination hobby, and when I make shaving cream (or candle for that matter) I much prefer synthetic fragrances, they just work much better and are far more pleasant (at least for those I have), and synth fragrances are probably easier on the skin as well.

Candle making huh?

Would you be able to share a basic method to make bees wax candles? (If you want to keep your method proprietary, please disregard my request)

20171105_170949.jpg

Just a wonderful BBS with two days growth in 2.5 passes. And NO weepers from the R41 because of the super performance of Valobra in all areas bar scent. Seriously, if the R41 gives you grief don't give up till you try Valobra.

A great postshave combo as the days get warmer in Perth. Mmmm.

Is that 1881 hiding in the back?

One of my all time favourite scents!!

PKLemwW.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Razorock Mamba SS
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Thäter 2-band Bulb
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

After four shaves with the new Mamba, I feel confident enough to give my thoughts about the razor: WONDERFUL! It might not be the most aggressive razor, but with the right angle it is very effective, yet so smooth.

Milder razor do not shave, when the wrong angle is used - and I actually prefer this behaviour. More aggressive razors will scrape off the skin, but initially one believes, they are shaving. I think this is partially the reason, why some have problems with a razor like the Mamba. But once you have dialled in the correct angle, it is very effective...

I now fear, that the same madness night happen as did with the original Stealth Slant (also one of my favourite razors): there will be loud voices of unhappy people, and Joe might change the design of the head...with the Stealth Slant it resulted in a (for me) very negative outcome. The later iterations of the razor felt more aggressive, but the shave was not more efficient. So I really hope Joe does not change this razor - it is a great piece of hardware with a fantastic price tag.

The Thäter is so absolutely cloud soft and produced wonderful Stirling lather - happy days!

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday (y)

Candle making huh?

Would you be able to share a basic method to make bees wax candles? (If you want to keep your method proprietary, please disregard my request)

it s super easy, i have used bee wax only once, i normally use a high melting point soy wax (EcoSoya - Q220). I melt it in microwave and I mix 10% fragrance, pour it in a tumbler (after inserting/keeping central a wick(CDN 20 for a large tumbler)).Done.When using essential oils you need to mix & pour at low temperature (55*C) and it doesn't work as well as fragrances. I have a large batch to make with a nice Christmas fragrance (Mistletoe & White Cedar) in Xmas tumblers for gifts to friends& family (doesnt cost much and is a nice personal touch).

i would never have thought I would be a dude that makes candles LOL

Last edited:
PKLemwW.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Razorock Mamba SS
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Thäter 2-band Bulb
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

After four shaves with the new Mamba, I feel confident enough to give my thoughts about the razor: WONDERFUL! It might not be the most aggressive razor, but with the right angle it is very effective, yet so smooth.

Milder razor do not shave, when the wrong angle is used - and I actually prefer this behaviour. More aggressive razors will scrape off the skin, but initially one believes, they are shaving. I think this is partially the reason, why some have problems with a razor like the Mamba. But once you have dialled in the correct angle, it is very effective...

I now fear, that the same madness night happen as did with the original Stealth Slant (also one of my favourite razors): there will be loud voices of unhappy people, and Joe might change the design of the head...with the Stealth Slant it resulted in a (for me) very negative outcome. The later iterations of the razor felt more aggressive, but the shave was not more efficient. So I really hope Joe does not change this razor - it is a great piece of hardware with a fantastic price tag.

The Thäter is so absolutely cloud soft and produced wonderful Stirling lather - happy days!

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday (y)
Sounds like it's a great razor. Mine arrived today.

Status
Not open for further replies.