Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a beekeeper (yes, I am a man of many talents and hobbies) who has dabbled in the arts of beeswax candle making, I can say with authority that you need to ensure you use a wick meant for beeswax candles, or at least a decent thickness wick. Otherwise the wax seems to "flood" the wick and snuff it out.

it s super easy, i have used bee wax only once, i normally use a high melting point soy wax (EcoSoya - Q220). I melt it in microwave and I mix 10% fragrance, pour it in a tumbler (after inserting/keeping central a wick(CDN 20 for a large tumbler)).Done.When using essential oils you need to mix & pour at low temperature (55*C) and it doesn't work as well as fragrances. I have a large batch to make with a nice Christmas fragrance (Mistletoe & White Cedar) in Xmas tumblers for gifts to friends& family (doesnt cost much and is a nice personal touch).

i would never have thought I would be a dude that makes candles LOL

As a beekeeper (yes, I am a man of many talents and hobbies) who has dabbled in the arts of beeswax candle making, I can say with authority that you need to ensure you use a wick meant for beeswax candles, or at least a decent thickness wick. Otherwise the wax seems to "flood" the wick and snuff it out.

Sweet, thanks guys!

I'll see if i can get the required supplies where i am.

I don't like the petro based wax candles so am hoping to make natural wax based ones for my wife and mother.

I'll only make unscented so i guess it should be simpler for me.

PKLemwW.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Razorock Mamba SS
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Thäter 2-band Bulb
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

After four shaves with the new Mamba, I feel confident enough to give my thoughts about the razor: WONDERFUL! It might not be the most aggressive razor, but with the right angle it is very effective, yet so smooth.

Milder razor do not shave, when the wrong angle is used - and I actually prefer this behaviour. More aggressive razors will scrape off the skin, but initially one believes, they are shaving. I think this is partially the reason, why some have problems with a razor like the Mamba. But once you have dialled in the correct angle, it is very effective...

I now fear, that the same madness night happen as did with the original Stealth Slant (also one of my favourite razors): there will be loud voices of unhappy people, and Joe might change the design of the head...with the Stealth Slant it resulted in a (for me) very negative outcome. The later iterations of the razor felt more aggressive, but the shave was not more efficient. So I really hope Joe does not change this razor - it is a great piece of hardware with a fantastic price tag.

The Thäter is so absolutely cloud soft and produced wonderful Stirling lather - happy days!

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday (y)

Love & hate with my Mamba. @alfredus you described it exactly. That angle of efficiency is tight and outside that it becomes a very mild razor.
Dial it in and it gives a wonderful smooth shave that you have to keep checking with your fingers by running then across your face.
I'm constantly thinking, is it shaving my hair away. Rub face. Oh it is, amazed as the feedback is not audible enough as I get the same feedback if I miss the angle.
Would have to say it is a wonderful amazing shaver but a nuisance to use as the angle is so tight.
Absolutely impossible to cut yourself with it (if used normally). No blade feel at all. And I've never had a smoother top lip from any other razor yet, but there is a catch.
Blade choice. Have used three different blades. Nacet, ladas and feather.
Nacet was good and efficient but not close enough on my neck. Ladas was good for the second past and then tugged a day later like it was blunt.
Oh the feather, hate these flexible, sharp and bitey blades. Never had a good shave with them. But since the mamba holds the blade tight in place it was the ideal pair. Absolutely smooth and very efficient shave. Loved them so much I used them three times so far.

Haven't made my mind up yet as it is early days.

SOTD Tuesday 31 Oct 2017: Welcome home, my new friends.

cQZrLXM.jpg

(Disclaimer: It has been so long since I've used my camera, I have totally forgotten how to use it. I will practice over Christmas)

Brush:
24mm St James of London synthetic
Soap: Squadron/APR Australians All (first/second use?)
Razor: 1931 Gillette New long comb
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Post-shave: Alum, Thayer's unscented
Splash: Squadron/APR Australians All

Today I welcomed some new friends to my den.
  • 1931 (I think) re-plated Gillette New long comb: This guy is beautiful. Shiny, hefty, solid and classy. I was privileged enough to obtain him from @Blackie (see his beautiful pictures here), who was an absolute gentleman to deal with. I can tell he loved this razor and I can promise to do the same.
  • 24mm St James of London synthetic: I saw the huge discounts TSW were having on St James brushes and decided to get one. But, I must have mis-clicked and I ended up with the 24mm instead of the 28mm (the pictures look very similar). Still a great brush, though.
  • Australians All soap & splash: Again, I count myself as very lucky to be able to partake in this LE collaboration release. Right time, right place, right crowd.
I have been doing crazy hours at work recently, followed by family-issues, resulting in little sleep and even less shaving. But, I'm still keen on documenting my thoughts as it helps me put my mind in order.

I have been really looking forward to the "Australians All" LE release. It feels nice sharing in the passion of a couple of talented local (Aussie) artisans.
I still can't properly describe the scent except to say that it felt like sitting on a comfy/puffy couch while gazing out the open window into the Aussie bush. Just enough eucalyptus to remind you where you are without taking away any of the comfort.
Whatever the official scent profile is, I like it - it calms me.

I've been trying a lot of open-combs recently. I quite like how close they can shave, if used properly. And, they are teaching me better technique.
In that vein, the New is the smoothest+closest razor I own... Easily.
In fact, it shaved my 3-day growth so close that by bedtime I was still looking clean-shaven! (and I'm a 2pm stubble kind of guy). That's quite a feat while still retaining skin on my face.

The soap pairs really well with this razor.
The soap lathers like a boss. I get heaps and heaps of lather out of my bowl. Far more than I can use; and it's THICK.
There's lots of cushion, plenty of glide, and an amazing post-shave feel. It's really that good... It needs to be, because the New doesn't muck around. It's a no-fuss "Get in. Job done. Get out. Look fantastic while you're doing it" kind of razor. If the "Solo Man" were a razor, he would be a New.
The razor confidently shaves damn close. Yet I suffered very little irritation... This combination of hard+software is a winner for sure.

The splash is mentholated, which I wasn't expecting. It's really invigorating, and will help a treat on a hot summer's day. Performance was excellent and I had wisps of the scent all day.

The St James brush whips up a great lather, but I have a couple of complaints:
  1. It is a little scritchy on the face. Almost like the hair-tips aren't rounded enough.
  2. The handle is too small. I think this is a consequence of me buying the 24mm in lieu of the 28mm. The handle is too small to grasp like a whisk. Instead, you have to hold it with your fingertips - which gets tiring. Anyone with big hands should get the 28mm.
Now, the shave wasn't perfect. I can't afford to keep shaving that close; my skin can't handle it over several shaves. But, I'm hoping I'll learn to have a lighter touch with practice. It needs & deserves more respect than my modern razors. But the results are great!

I haven't yet tried the Gillette Tech (also from @Blackie). But, I'm quite looking forward to it. It is both cute and *looks* mild. So, a nice contrast to the New.

I just got my hands on a travelling box which has an R41 - I've been meaning to try one of these for some time and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the New (I'll write up some thought tomorrow).

Sorry about another long post... When I'm tired I just brain-dump.

From what I have seen so far, this puck is going to last for a long time.

@thw You're not wrong mate, it took me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to kill the Henry Cavendish Hamalaya, The soap that would never die!

By the time it was finished all the tannins from my wooden bowl had been absorbed into the soap and it was no longer a nice creamy colour, dark brown and murky it was at the end....

It's a good soap to melt in the microwave of you want to fit it into a particular bowl.

Sounds like it's a great razor. Mine arrived today.

I think it might be right up your alley - enjoy (y)

Love & hate with my Mamba. @alfredus you described it exactly. That angle of efficiency is tight and outside that it becomes a very mild razor.
Dial it in and it gives a wonderful smooth shave that you have to keep checking with your fingers by running then across your face.
I'm constantly thinking, is it shaving my hair away. Rub face. Oh it is, amazed as the feedback is not audible enough as I get the same feedback if I miss the angle.
Would have to say it is a wonderful amazing shaver but a nuisance to use as the angle is so tight.
Absolutely impossible to cut yourself with it (if used normally). No blade feel at all. And I've never had a smoother top lip from any other razor yet, but there is a catch.
Blade choice. Have used three different blades. Nacet, ladas and feather.
Nacet was good and efficient but not close enough on my neck. Ladas was good for the second past and then tugged a day later like it was blunt.
Oh the feather, hate these flexible, sharp and bitey blades. Never had a good shave with them. But since the mamba holds the blade tight in place it was the ideal pair. Absolutely smooth and very efficient shave. Loved them so much I used them three times so far.

Haven't made my mind up yet as it is early days.

I managed to nick myself already and I also feel the blade...I really do have sensitive skin, but again if you are on the right angle, there is blade feel.

I agree with the audio feedback, very very faint.

But again, I think if you cannot keep the angle, it shows the deficiencies you might have with other razors as well? With every razor, the correct shave angle is rather tight. Everything else is more scraping...

I haven't used a Feather in years...maybe one day again :D

But again, I think if you cannot keep the angle, it shows the deficiencies you might have with other razors as well? With every razor, the correct shave angle is rather tight. Everything else is more scraping...
:D
Red rag to a bull there :blackeye: :love:
You maybe (are) right about my technique but as my experience grows I hope it improves with it. Do feel in the last year I've learnt a lot about my skin, shaving, technique and razor design.
So from that I've learnt is that all blades scrape the skin due the geometry and process of cutting hair. Though if you mean the optimal angle of efficiency then yes it is small on all razors including straights. However the Mamba's is smaller than most IMO :sneaky:

Date: 09 November 2017 "SOTM"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Route 66 ~ Barbershop Hop 6x
Bowl: - Captain's Choice
Razor: - Colonial Razors ~ General SS
Blade: - Feather Artist Club Professional #13
Post: - Speick Aftershave Lotion / Bulldog Original Moisturiser
Fragrance: - Hugo Boss (Original)

I have been really looking forward to the "Australians All" LE release. It feels nice sharing in the passion of a couple of talented local (Aussie) artisans.
I still can't properly describe the scent except to say that it felt like sitting on a comfy/puffy couch while gazing out the open window into the Aussie bush. Just enough eucalyptus to remind you where you are without taking away any of the comfort.
Whatever the official scent profile is, I like it - it calms me.

That is a fantastic fragrance description :)

I had the idea of sitting on a verandah in summer gazing out into the bush while making it, where you catch whiffs of all the smells that make up our gardens with the essence of the Australian species finding their way into the menu of what you experience.

Australians All
Top Notes include: Mint, Sweet Orange, Lime, Guava
Heart Notes include : Lemon Myrtle, Eucalyptus & Lavender
Base Notes include: Vanilla, Musk & Amber

That is a fantastic fragrance description :)

I had the idea of sitting on a verandah in summer gazing out into the bush while making it, where you catch whiffs of all the smells that make up our gardens with the essence of the Australian species finding their way into the menu of what you experience.

Australians All
Top Notes include: Mint, Sweet Orange, Lime, Guava
Heart Notes include : Lemon Myrtle, Eucalyptus & Lavender
Base Notes include: Vanilla, Musk & Amber
I'm so glad!

As a youngling, I spent many of my summers with my Grandparents and cousins in the Blue Mountains (Faulconbridge). The house backs onto national park.
We'd spend our days playing on the lawn, exploring the bush, chasing kangaroos, catching tadpoles, and feeding the local horses.

The menthol in the splash brings to mind the bush eucalyptus and ozone mixing in the cool breeze of the night time thunderstorms.

... It was a lovely place and time. I'm overdue for a return visit.

Top shave last night.
I continue to be amazed at the performance of a humble Boar bristle brush coupled with a good performing soap. Add to that a very keen edge on a 6/8" Carbon Steel blade and my face and whiskers had quite a going away party.
DFS easily with one pass and no irritation, discomfort or blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.