Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top shave last night.
I continue to be amazed at the performance of a humble Boar bristle brush coupled with a good performing soap. Add to that a very keen edge on a 6/8" Carbon Steel blade and my face and whiskers had quite a going away party.
DFS easily with one pass and no irritation, discomfort or blood.
One pass! Where’s the fun in that? You no sooner get the party started and you’re packing up and going home?
I’m just jealous. I can rarely get something decent in one pass.:)

Rockwell 6S (4)
Lord Racer blade (4)
Proraso Green
P&C Platypus 26mm fan
re-lather and cold rinse

First two shaves on this blade were on plate 2. Second two shaves on plate 4. The rest of the shaves (around 10 more going by previous experience) will be on plate 6. No damage or discomfort whatsoever and I can whip around a 3 pass shave (WTG/ATG/ATG) with abandon for a reliable BBS result. This was what I always wanted from my shaving.

Typically, if I start a blade with an efficient razor / plate I either have to be excessively careful (sometimes impossible after a late night...) or get nicked / irritation and live with it until the blade wears off that aggressive edge. But if I stick with only using a mild razor I have to bin the blade after only a couple of shaves or it just doesn't shave close enough. So starting a blade with a mild razor and transitioning to an efficient one gives the best of all worlds and an adjustable like the Rockwell is ideal for that.

It's only after at least 10 shaves on plate 6 that I find my stubble becoming noticeable again earlier in the day... I love using efficient razors and this way I can without having to worry about doing any damage. My skin is loving it!

Today has been my mostly free day lately, with a nice, summery weather, being myself in one the best moods lately, so why not improve the day by having a great shave? yes, that's what I did! Yesterday I got some stuff from Dan, so it was on time to give them a try.

The beard was a bit longer than usual, so I wet it while lathering:
Shavette The bluebeards revenge with an astra green
yaqi synthetic "sacred family"
soap: Fauno, byLuna
splash: Australians all

9AdbfgW.jpg

I am impressed from the soap. first I wasn't sure about the lather, but yes, it was so good. I love the scent too, probably a bit stronger would be better for my hard nose. Surprise to me to see that it has no tallow. That may explain why a saw at first the latter being weird, or maybe because I wasn't loading from a tube. Certainly, a veg soap, properly made can be top.
The Australians all splash smells amazing. It didn't have to fix anything as the shave was close to perfect, but still, who could resist to splash this beauty? Actually, I think they both (fauno and Australians all) while being different, make good pair.

Mates, I want to shave again!

8612a63627.png

Pre: warm H2O
Brush: Plissonese
Soap: B&M ⁴²
Razor: Guerrilla Open comb
Blade: Nacet (4)
A/S: B&M ⁴² Splash

Lovely performer and scent.
Favourite blade and razor combo to scrape those whiskers away ;)

9Z42p7zl.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 28 Boar
Razor: Razorock Mamba
Blade: English Wilky (1)
Soap: Razorock Barbershop Blue
A/S: B&M Reserve Cool

First go with the Mamba, took a couple of strokes to find the correct angle but once I did a very nice shave was had.

9Z42p7zl.jpg

Brush: Vulfix 28 Boar
Razor: Razorock Mamba
Blade: English Wilky (1)
Soap: Razorock Barbershop Blue
A/S: B&M Reserve Cool

First go with the Mamba, took a couple of strokes to find the correct angle but once I did a very nice shave was had.

Thats a beautiful looking lather on your Vulfix mate. :)

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (2)
EdT: Chanel Antaeus

I reckon this soap (De Vergulde Hand) is close to the fastest lathering soap I've ever used. As always, I persisted with lather development to get to best from the soap. I was pleasantly surprised by the scent - I was expecting a clean, soapy scent similar to MWF or Haslinger Schafsmilch, but it had a definite European cologne scent profile, which I really enjoyed.
Three passes for a DFS; the residual slickness was not quite up to the same standard as Dr Dittmar, but still pretty good.
And the finishing Eau de Toilette - Wow! Chanel have ventured into serious testosterone levels with Antaeus - fresh yet potently leathery in composition.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Razor: ATT Kronos M2
Blade: Vintage English Gillette Platinum (2)
EdT: Chanel Antaeus

I reckon this soap (De Vergulde Hand) is close to the fastest lathering soap I've ever used. As always, I persisted with lather development to get to best from the soap. I was pleasantly surprised by the scent - I was expecting a clean, soapy scent similar to MWF or Haslinger Schafsmilch, but it had a definite European cologne scent profile, which I really enjoyed.
Three passes for a DFS; the residual slickness was not quite up to the same standard as Dr Dittmar, but still pretty good.
And the finishing Eau de Toilette - Wow! Chanel have ventured into serious testosterone levels with Antaeus - fresh yet potently leathery in composition.
The DVH soap is massively underrated in my opinion. Drakkar Noir is almost identical in scent if you're looking for a match.

Antaeus is a Testosterone filled aldehyde powerhouse of a fragrance

Rockwell 6S (6)
Lord Racer blade (5)
Proraso Red
Omega 48
re-lather and cold rinse

Very efficient 3 pass BBS with no damage. I have taken to using the same soap (I call Proraso Green and Red the same from a lathering perspective) for weeks on end recently. It has really helped dial in some soaps I wasn't so impressed with when using them as part of a rotation. Some benefit from loading more product, some less (eg glycerin soaps) and likewise with water content.

No such need with Proraso though. Have gotten straight into the loading / water content sweet spot for abundant lather and it's a pretty good thing!

qqAybCg.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V Romera Manchurian
Lather: Vicious Sample #2
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Very nice and close shave with the BBS-1 - although a nick on my chin reminded me, that this razor is definitely a different beast than the Mamba & Co I've been using in the last days. Love this brush handle and the knot produced some nice vicious lather.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.