Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad you like it Tom, it's this 'thing' I did when I was learning (it seems like years ago and its only really 1 year) studying and researching the aquatic family of fragrances as part of furthering my perfumers knowledge and if I am honest it was the hardest personally as I do not like a majority of the Aquatic fragrances as I smell them absolutely everywhere because this 'thing' (olfactory education and experience) happens to people who muck around and dabble with perfume and it's this: once you have 100-200 AC's and say 50-100 EO's and work with them as undiluted concentrates (you begin to really know the compounds personally) when you then encounter a perfume that contains any of the compounds you work with (say CK One, Acqua di Gio) you now smell, experience and can name the individual compounds within the perfume rather than the perfume as a whole...it's always fun in public getting bombarded by the catalog of the current favourites I can tell you!

The nose who created Acqua Di Gio is unquestionably the master of aquatic fragrances, responsible for an endless list of blockbuster, commercially successful, awarded and celebrated perfumes. A vast majority of the highly popular 'youthful' aquatics - From CK One right the way through to Colonia Intense, the man is the one and only talented nose Alberto Morillas. Check out that list FFS :D

To cut a long story short, when I did my 'design' interpreting this great guys work I had to put my mark on it, so I thought right....bugger it, let's get into the soul of the ocean and go for a deeper, deep water aquatic feel - 50 meters below the surface kind of feeling, where the light notes fade as the photons don't strike... where we get deep water, soulful notes of organic decomposition of plant and flesh detritus decaying and reacting in the salt at the slow rate aided by the ecosystem of that depth. That is the darkness of AdS....I was thinking of the water in the headlands of Sydney harbor..funny but true!

**EDIT NOW SOLD! I have mentioned this before but I have 100ml of the EDP still macerating, if anyone wants a bottle shoot me a PM - You can have one for $55 as a cleanskin, I can say with certainty it is not a fragrance I will release again, it is a fleeting LE that seems to have found at least a couple of fans :)
Aha! Great explanation, Mate! I totally get the "soulful notes of organic decomposition of plant and flesh detritus decaying and reacting in the salt ". It is the perfect counterpart to the "niceness" of the typical aquatic. And as for those tossers giving negative reviews and complaining about flowery language in certain online reviews, they can GAGF! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no need for some of the baseless criticism. Remember that the vast majority of us are big fans of your products, enjoy the passion of your art, and also your scent descriptions and the emotions and elements that drive them. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
And as for those tossers giving negative reviews...
Let's not forget that they are just the vocal minority.
They are entitled to their opinions. But, the rest of us are more than happy to enjoy our choices (positive or negative) without causing a scene.

I think this is called "being an adult".
It's quite a rare quality these days.

So as a thank you for both the knowledge, friendship and keeping this place idiot free I named a Fougère after him called "General Ledger" which I still sell today, it's a pretty bloody decent homage to Fougère Royale actually. It is called General Ledger as Mark is an accountant and I am in Law so we joke around about respective professions.
That’s a great story with a clever twist to the soap’s name! Now, I’ve wondering for months now about Alfredus Choice :happy:

Now, I’ve wondering for months now about Alfredus Choice :happy:

Alfredus was an eminent chemist in real life in an early career and as well as being a good friend he helped me (along with @TomG) with with a bunch of chemistry related to solutions and so on as chemistry was not my forte. Because of all the help he offered I asked him to choose a series of fragrance notes which I made into a perfume design that was called "Alfredus Choice" :)

I also had one called "Pork Chop" in the early days, but we don't mention that anymore :D

Well, I make fragrances and I know other artisans who make fragrances so we are mates with common interests, like any friends you end up shooting the shit for hours on end and being in the same business we send each other gifts, test designs and so on with the implicit trust and understanding that we will never sell, trade or swap each others gifts. So most of the things I get are sent to me as presents, and I send stuff back.My hobby is also finding new and undiscovered artisans making small batch soaps and splash from anywhere in the globe.

SO the specific puck in the pic:

When I joined up here a year or so ago @Mark1966 was one of the first people I became friends with, he is a Vintage razor collector (he has thousands of them) and also a Vintage brush collector (Simpsons - also hundreds) and I wanted to learn about Vintage brushes and a little of razors so I pestered him endlessly. Mark is a ceaseless fount of knowledge, advice and wisdom in this regard so we got chatting as you do.

Fast forward a couple of months and I decided to make aftershaves because I got bored and perfumery soon followed. So as a thank you for both the knowledge, friendship and keeping this place idiot free I named a Fougère after him called "General Ledger" which I still sell today, it's a pretty bloody decent homage to Fougère Royale actually. It is called General Ledger as Mark is an accountant and I am in Law so we joke around about respective professions. So as a return gift for the General Ledger, Mark sent me the puck of Wills Fougère Imperiale.

:)

Alfredus was an eminent chemist in real life in an early career and as well as being a good friend he helped me (along with @TomG) with with a bunch of chemistry related to solutions and so on as chemistry was not my forte. Because of all the help he offered I asked him to choose a series of fragrance notes which I made into a perfume design that was called "Alfredus Choice" :)

I also had one called "Pork Chop" in the early days, but we don't mention that anymore :D

A very generous version of history - but we will run with that for now :)

I think the real story @FluffyGroodle is that Dan really wanted to be an accountant but, like many lawyers, found taking his shoes off to count past 10 was cumbersome - so took the path of law ;)

Hmmm, it must be time to start a change.org petition to bring back Pork Chop though ...

A very generous version of history - but we will run with that for now :)

Your spreadsheet says otherwise I'm guessing, well, at either rate people can search here. It's all documented in threads long past :)

I think the real story @FluffyGroodle is that Dan really wanted to be an accountant but, like many lawyers, found taking his shoes off to count past 10 was cumbersome - so took the path of law ;)

That statement is true only in so far as when I encountered basic accounting, and then the pit of vipers and absence of any reason and rationality that is trust accounting, I then decided that my sanity was preferred and that the whole accountancy thing is just bloody weird man.

Hmmm, it must be time to start a change.org petition to bring back Pork Chop though ...
How about I promise that it will release as a LE next Winter called 'Black Velvet' or similar with a significantly more mature design, but the same definitive character and notes.

If I can swing it, I may even order a couple of hundred 16mm boar brushes and sellotape one to each bottle as a homage to outbursts gone, but hilariously not forgotten by certain members who I presumed to be 80-90 years old (Get off my lawn), but have subsequently been informed by the big Kahuna no less, are actually not old at all but just bloody cranky and cantankerous at times...

IMG_1678.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6S - R3
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: Phoenix & Beau - Imperial Rum

I luckily managed to get a nice shave in just before the power outage this afternoon. :cool: The in-laws arrived today for a stay with us, so the personal time was much needed.
@Mark1966 I finally got some Imperial Rum for myself and it did not disappoint! ;)

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Flic 6/8"
The Spitfire didn't disappoint. Very nice lather to support the grand old Flic which provided lots of audible feedback in the way of 'crunch'.
Nice way to start Saturday.
Great to hear about spitfire, it's definitely in my sights...

Today was best of british. Ever think about TV station 9's extra channel called gem, which often has brit stuff on it? Anyway, just like them I'm revisiting old brit stuff, mainly the 3 "T"s.
Triple T (truefitt, trumpers, taylors)

Soap: Truefitt and Hill
Brush: semogue OC (T&H is a hard soap and demands a boar)
Razor: British made ever-ready 1912 ornate handle
Blade: GEM coated (1)
Cologne: Taylors #74 victorian limes

V65M104.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Declaration Franklin
Timeless
Gillette Nacet
Barrister & Mann Citricuyá Soap
Barrister & Mann Citricuyá Splash
AP Reserve Junos Royale EDP

Date: 19 November 2017 "SOTM"

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Lather: - Route 66 ~ Bay Lime Twist 4x
Bowl: - Captain's Choice
Razor: - Fatip Testina Gentile Close Comb
Blade: - Gillette Nacet #3
Post: - Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive Aftershave Balm with Birch Sap
Fragrance: - Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

Razor: Vintage British NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney 'Badger and Bristle' shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve / Squadron Soap Australians All shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve / Squadron Soap Australians All splash

Oh man, was this a beautiful shave!

I cannot recall using a Feather with this combination before - it was amazing. Close but smooth, absolutely sensation result.

BTW @todras trust accounting IS bloody weird. It should also most definitely never be mention on a Sunday, something about being the work of Satan I think ...

I cannot recall using a Feather with this combination before - it was amazing. Close but smooth, absolutely sensation result.

Seriously what the heck is going on, Ive been using Nacet blades (nice blades too) all week courtesy of @RustyBlade and you are breaking out the Feathers!!

And as for those tossers giving negative reviews and complaining about flowery language in certain online reviews, they can GAGF

I think this is called "being an adult".
It's quite a rare quality these days.

I really dont get all this. Calling somebody a tosser and saying they can GAGF for simply having and an opinion different to yours isn't really what i would call "being an adult". Products get good, bad and neutral reviews all the time without any problems but it seems some people take these reviews quite personally which i find odd. I really just dont see what the big deal is.

I really dont get all this. Calling somebody a tosser and saying they can GAGF for simply having and an opinion different to yours isn't really what i would call "being an adult". Products get good, bad and neutral reviews all the time without any problems but it seems some people take these reviews quite personally which i find odd. I really just dont see what the big deal is.
I think you misunderstood.

I said "being an adult" is when we accept that others having opinions that differ from our own is both normal and beneficial.

It only becomes an issue when people are criticised for having different preferences.
(Highschool comes to mind as I'm writing this)

Obviously, this only pertains to scenarios where personal preference is the metric.

Anyway, I don't want to live in a society where everyone thinks like I do. How boring and stagnant would that be? I wish you all great shaves... Even if it's from a can. :D

I think you misunderstood.

I said "being an adult" is when we accept that others having opinions that differ from our own is both normal and beneficial.

It only becomes an issue when people are criticised for having different preferences.
(Highschool comes to mind as I'm writing this)

Obviously, this only pertains to scenarios where personal preference is the metric.

Anyway, I don't want to live in a society where everyone thinks like I do. How boring and stagnant would that be? I wish you all great shaves... Even if it's from a can. :D
Totally agree with everything you said. But to me it seems thats not what is happening here. Anyways........:)

Ok @Bozley82 and @lerenau hold up both of you dudes there is a serious miscommunication and misunderstanding right here and it's all @TomG's fault :D

Tom was not referring to my Lixiviant fragrance being described as smelling like stale cat's piss after 2 weeks in 35C temperatures or people not liking fragrances or expressing real opinions (heck we all do that) he was referring to the organised smear review that occurred on a Vendors website in relation to my Fougère Bourbon Rose not containing any actual Bourbon and instead smelling like Rose (I know, I know...just WTF) but there you go.

I think the real take home message people are missing here is that if Lixiviant or indeed any perfume does indeed smell like stale cat's piss, you can't honestly say that it's a very skillfully and indeed inspired and exquisite recreation of the nuance and accords of male feline cat urine.

Also Bozley can you please resize your bloody pictures, I browse on a desktop and they are just enormous - its like having the razor and that bloody PAA soap and splash you like in the room with me ffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.