Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
d207031c606a0d319fdeb33675379b7d.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
Razor: ATT Kronos open comb M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (6)
EDT: Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet

Blenheim Bouquet bliss.

Adding to today's SOTD: no great shave is possible without great lather!

There should be T-shirts stating this slogan.

But what I forgot (or more correctly suppressed due to the concrete that comes out of Adelaide's pipes): how easy it is to create lather with the soft rain water on tropical islands.

Ever wondered, why people talk about loading for 10sec and having enough lather for an army in less than a minute...and you need more like 5 minutes to get there?

Well, they have access to super soft rain water - probably heavily toxic and absolutely undrinkable, but fantastic for creating mountains of perfect lather in no time...I'm going to miss this paradise for more than one reason :(

Adding to today's SOTD: no great shave is possible without great lather!

There should be T-shirts stating this slogan.

But what I forgot (or more correctly suppressed due to the concrete that comes out of Adelaide's pipes): how easy it is to create lather with the soft rain water on tropical islands.

Ever wondered, why people talk about loading for 10sec and having enough lather for an army in less than a minute...and you need more like 5 minutes to get there?

Well, they have access to super soft rain water - probably heavily toxic and absolutely undrinkable, but fantastic for creating mountains of perfect lather in no time...I'm going to miss this paradise for more than one reason :(

Could not agree more @alfredus. It is such a bonus for us hard water tragics when we get access to soft water - we can't believe our luck. I was recently almost tempted to consider a lather shot ;)

Sunday 8 January 2017

SOTD-08012016.jpg

The Italian Shave

Sometimes I like to shave with Italian shaving products only. This Sunday was one of those times and for the occasion I used my homemade shave products, an Omega brush and a Mastro Livi straight razor. The pre-shave oil, shaving cream and aftershave were all made by me at home and I am sure many of you know I like to make my own shaving stuff at home as a hobby. I like experimenting and to test new recipes, something I am doing since more than ten years now. I believe shaving with your homemade products adds extra pleasure to the pleasure of shaving, a rite made of small however big things, something you slowly savor while avoiding the frenzy of our modern times. The shave was absolutely special thanks to the super smoothness of this Mastro Livi Stripes CarboInox straight razor, a superb BBS shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Almond Oil Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Stripes CarboInox Italy, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Peppermint Plus
Razor: Gillette Open Comb
Blade: Polsilver SI (8)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Brut "After Shave Lotion"

The alum let me know that today's was the last shave with the Polsilver. Not too bad of an effort with 8 shaves though.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 09 January 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC Boar in Cherry Wood 24/55mm
Lather: - Stirling Christmas Eve Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #2
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Speick Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

I know is not Christmas it has a wonderful blend of pine, fir, evergreen, and mistletoe, and top notes of warm vanilla, cranberry, and seasonal spices, this scent is far too late to put me in the Christmas spirit again.

A__21229.1480093207.300.300.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (12)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Shaving Soap
Post-shave: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Aftershave Splash

Gonna have ta load like @alfredus for a little while and finish this soap off!

12 on the LB - should finish the week I think

Darwin - a delightful beauty :)

Not a special shave today... except that I shaved my chin and nose area for the first time in 12 years. No more goatie for me. Wow. I'm feeling sensitive today. My chin is ALIVE. Not raw or damaged... just aware of its existence. I was happy that I remembered all the video tips for these areas and only had a couple of weepers.

Razor: PAA Prismatic
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (2)
Soap: Wolfpac Silk Road
Brush: Wolfpac Finest Badger (3rd use)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Post-Shave: Alum (because chin weepers) then Nivea "Active Energy Skin Revitaliser Aftershave 2 in 1 Balm"
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Cologne: Dunhill Edition (not pictured)
Bowl: Greenpike Special

20170109_160803.jpg

Thoughts:
- Proraso Red makes me happy. I must shave with it again soon.
- It was good to guide my son through his first wet-shave last night.
- I remember why I kept a goatie for so long. Lol. But now I have even more area to shave each day.
- Nivea and Lucky Tiger are a nice combo for a shocked area of skin.
- This brush and me are not hitting it off at all. I know, I know... I have to break it in. It's too large for me actually so I don't know how chummy we're going to get.

Last edited:
ynyyDGq.jpg

January 9th, 2017

Edwin Jagger DE89 "3D Laser Diamond" Handle
Polsilver "Brown"
Wolf Whiskers "Nathan Clark Ubersoft II"
@bald as Shaving Soap "Lemon Myrtle"
Australian Private Reserve "Fete au Citron"

Needed a quick and easy shave today. I always have the EJ on standby for just such an occasion. @Draco Noir was kind enough to give me some of the Polsilver Browns to try some time back and I find them to be an outstanding quality blade. Not sure how long they last but I cannot remember how many shaves I have got out of the current one and it is still going strong.

@bald as makes an outstanding soap. I loaded it like there was no tomorrow and I was rewarded with an excellent top shelf lather. Protection, cushion and slickness are all there. There are only a small number of soaps that I get excited about in terms of post shave feel (generally I am not too fussed as I put enough stuff on my face after shaving that it doesn't matter how my skin feels directly after shaving) but I find this soap to be extremely nourishing. The lemon myrtle has the added advantage of really cleaning up my skin and helps clear any skin blemishes. This is a soap that I would be happy to shave with everyday.

I have already reviewed the APR "Fete au Citron" splash and it paired excellently with the soap. Just a small dab goes a very long way.​

Fresh off the Jnat this evening a new to me 5/8" Bengall and it is so nice. Smooth and very sharp.
2 passes and I'm happy.
Lemon myrtle soap
Wooden handle reknoted 26mm horse hair brush
And Macadamia nut oil/Lemon myrtle to finish with.
Thanks for the comments on the soap @nsavage. Glad you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.