Not open for further replies.
C1Oa5XYUQAATkoW.jpg

Razor Wolfman OC with UFO handle
Blade Super Iridium
Brush Simpson CH3 Manchurian
Soap Saponificio Varesino
Aftershave Myrsol

Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (13)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson 'The Duke'
Soap/Cream: B&M Cologne Russe Shaving Soap
Post-shave: B&M Cologne Russe Tonique Aftershave

Sometimes you need a change, can hardly have a better one ...

Excellent to see that.

The offer does still stand, a freshly honed straight and "maybe" some soap. Straight swap. Yes I realise I'm being far too generous !! :) :ROFLMAO:

Ummm, yeah, nah ...

Thanks for the kind and generous offer though ...

Last edited:
15977128_10206414637363227_8646340718394509889_n.jpg

Click here for Rockwell review

Bottom Line: more testing required but the Rockwell 6s with #5/#6 base plate could end up a viable daily drudge-week shaver. Smooth, easy, no-thought shave that will get me to work looking presentable.

LEA soap.
Guys it aint expensive, but man it is so, so, so good. It is the cheapest soap on my top shelf - along with Speick and Fine. The LEA is great with straights but even with DE/SEs it has a nice soft face feel. Do yourself a favour and grab a puck.
shavemac 167 D01.
oh this brush is just the ticket with 3+ days growth. It really gets in there, wakes that stubble up and says get ready today is a good day to die. Not sure my face could take it every day but for that special day - this is the one.

Soap: Stirling - Mountain Man
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Razor: Gem Star
Blade: GEM (lots!)

A DE is nice, a straight is sublime, an SE is a somewhere in the middle. Fast as a DE, but efficiency & feel of a straight. The more I use this razor, (my first SE) the more I honestly think I highly doubt I will pick up a DE for anything other than for shits and giggles. It's straights for me, daily, but sometimes you need a quick, effortless, almost thoughtless shave with the same result - SE is it! Blade just keeps cutting and shows no sign of slow. I would have to be at about 6 or 7 three pass shaves. Not that three passes is required! It's just an excuse to rub that Paladin over my face some more.

Lovely soap this Stirling, great scent and excellent splash - just too low on the strength scale for me. I have a MITA soap/splash combo, which I will be keeping despite the recent sell off of the Stirling acquisition.

Soap: Stirling - Mountain Man
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Razor: Gem Star
Blade: GEM (lots!)

A DE is nice, a straight is sublime, an SE is a somewhere in the middle. Fast as a DE, but efficiency & feel of a straight. The more I use this razor, (my first SE) the more I honestly think I highly doubt I will pick up a DE for anything other than for shits and giggles. It's straights for me, daily, but sometimes you need a quick, effortless, almost thoughtless shave with the same result - SE is it! Blade just keeps cutting and shows no sign of slow. I would have to be at about 6 or 7 three pass shaves. Not that three passes is required! It's just an excuse to rub that Paladin over my face some more.

Lovely soap this Stirling, great scent and excellent splash - just too low on the strength scale for me. I have a MITA soap/splash combo, which I will be keeping despite the recent sell off of the Stirling acquisition.
I agree @Sxot - the SE is an incredible razor and the blades just keep going and going... the conspiracy theorist in me thinks thats why the industry swapped to the DE blade - more blades to sell!!!

20170110_132035a.jpg

An influential shave for me...

Razor: Gillette Red Flare Tip (recent acquisition, first use)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SS (1)
Soap: Razorock Tuscan Oud (aka "Catholic Mass")
Brush: Wolfpac Finest Badger (4th use)
Aftershave: Alum then Lucky Tiger
Cologne: Dunhill Edition
Bowl: Pink Wheel-turned Bowl from Vintage Shop.

Thoughts:
- Now that I'm shaving my whole face (second time minus goatie) I am right back to being a newbie around my mouth. It's funny to have a BBS with no nicks except for the mouth :)
- I think I prefer smaller, non-TTO razors for around my mouth so will probably prefer them from now on. After having such a good shave with the vintage New and the Prismatic on my first time, I do have to say I was underwhelmed by the Red Tip. It was a little milder than I wanted it to be plus I found it nowhere near as easy to navigate as the New and Prismatic with their small, nimble heads. I think this may well be the last Gillette TTO I purchase for use rather than museum purposes.
- The Wolfpac Brush performed way better in the bigger bowl. It also worked very well with the Razorock soap, which I picked today mostly to help de-funkify the badger brush as it's the strongest scent I own. This brush is clearly getting better BUT it's too large for me so I probably won't use it from now on. I think a 22mm knot is my sweet spot.
- Dunhill Edition is currently $20 at chemistwarehouse and it marries well with RR's uniquely scented Tuscan Oud, if you own it. Not an identical scent, obviously, but very complimentary: http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/79359/Dunhill-Edition-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-100ml
- I think the Shark SS would have worked slightly better in the Gillette TTO for my face than the 7 O'Clocks. They seem to consistently but it was worth a shot with a new razor.

Shave of the day 10th Jan.

Preshave: Shower & face scrub w/Banh soap.
Razor/Blade: 1934 Gillette Aristocrat w/Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: Le Pere Lucien "Havane".
Brush: Brad Sears CHS/28 Manchurian
Post shave: Thayers Original, Myrsol Balsamica, Penhaligons "Sartorial" shave balm.

Great shave from the old Gillette, clean, close and smooth. 3rd outing with the Sears after a good clean and rinse and its "magic" still alludes me, its still new so hoping it just needing a bit more use.

IMG_20170110_180023608-01.jpeg

Dsb8G1D.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime Pre
Boots 26mm Manchurian
Timeless
Feather
Mystic Water Pompelmo & Fiori
APR pamplemousse injonction

With the oppressive heat, I needed some citrus this morning to cut through things, always nice to get back to the Mystic lather too. Took the new Timeless for a run, the weight of it effects a very nice shave - more on that though after I have given it a few sessions on the park. The usual two passes, then a very welcome cold water drenching and on with the Grapefruit Injunction which I mentholated for testing some weeks past, I am not usually big on menthol but it works very well with the citrus scents and was a good fit for the Grapefruit in particular given the Mystic soap is also mentholated.

Shave well cobbers, have a bloody good day :)

20170110_132035a.jpg

An influential shave for me...

Razor: Gillette Red Flare Tip (recent acquisition, first use)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SS (1)
Soap: Razorock Tuscan Oud (aka "Catholic Mass")
Brush: Wolfpac Finest Badger (4th use)
Aftershave: Alum then Lucky Tiger
Cologne: Dunhill Edition
Bowl: Pink Wheel-turned Bowl from Vintage Shop.

Thoughts:
- Now that I'm shaving my whole face (second time minus goatie) I am right back to being a newbie around my mouth. It's funny to have a BBS with no nicks except for the mouth :)
- I think I prefer smaller, non-TTO razors for around my mouth so will probably prefer them from now on. After having such a good shave with the vintage New and the Prismatic on my first time, I do have to say I was underwhelmed by the Red Tip. It was a little milder than I wanted it to be plus I found it nowhere near as easy to navigate as the New and Prismatic with their small, nimble heads. I think this may well be the last Gillette TTO I purchase for use rather than museum purposes.
- The Wolfpac Brush performed way better in the bigger bowl. It also worked very well with the Razorock soap, which I picked today mostly to help de-funkify the badger brush as it's the strongest scent I own. This brush is clearly getting better BUT it's too large for me so I probably won't use it from now on. I think a 22mm knot is my sweet spot.
- Dunhill Edition is currently $20 at chemistwarehouse and it marries well with RR's uniquely scented Tuscan Oud, if you own it. Not an identical scent, obviously, but very complimentary: http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/79359/Dunhill-Edition-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-100ml
- I think the Shark SS would have worked slightly better in the Gillette TTO for my face than the 7 O'Clocks. They seem to consistently but it was worth a shot with a new razor.
I know what you mean about Red Tips. I revisited mine this morning and had a better experience this time, but I do think that 3-piece razors work better for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.