Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great review @Greenpike. Are you able to share what other soaps you regularly use and enjoy? Perhaps your top 5 or so and indicate where this soap would sit on that list?

Oh, dear. I don't feel experienced enough to give a top five. Here's every soap/cream I own besides two tubes of Palmolive and Nivea I've never used...
20170105_195114.jpg

In order...

- The TOBS Creams. These are just outstanding in every category for me and I love both of these scents. They will be replaced when finished.
- Wolfpac comes in here.
- The Crabtree & Evelyn is just as good as Wolfpac but (when not on special) double the price. Scent is not as exciting as Spice Road, either.
- Poraso Red is cheap and wonderful in every category besides slickness for me.
- The Razorock was good in all areas (if a little less easy to lather) but this scent is just amazing. It's a keeper for that.
- Maca Root is the most overated shaving cream I own - it smells like ladies' handcream to me and that defeats its great performance.
- The Wilkinson Blue is just awful to lather, boring to smell and has bugger all cushion. I don't know why it wasn't binned. I think I'm going to bin it after I finish this post.

Such a small sample makes my list a bit silly but I really do rate the Wolfpac. You'll also notice that slickness is the most important aspect for me. I have a problem with my neck in the famous two areas either side of my adam's apple. I need to buff them to get them BBS and only TOBS and Wolfpac so far have allowed that. Having said that, I've only shaved with my new New with Wolfpac so need to try it with my Slim to give a proper analysis.

bea08dff7fc3d617c968fee726e59a74.jpg

Brush: EJ Silvertip
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Wilkinson Super Sword
Cream: EJ Limes and Pomegranate
A/S: TOBS Victorian Limes

Excellent first go with the Oristo. Very mild feeling but incredibly efficient.
I feared you would say so...

Razor: Standard
Blade: Vintage Polsilver (1)
Brush: TSW 452/28 synth
Soap: Latha Limon
After: Alum, Australian Private Reserve - Un côtelette de porc Splash & Balm sample

Happy 2017 folks! I haven't posted a number of shaves over the holiday period, but I've tried the Persona Israeli Red in the EJ86 and revisited the Astra SP in the Standard to refresh my memory as well. Will try the Persona in the Standard, but tonight's shave I felt I deserved a top-shelf blade so slotted in a vintage Polsilver.

Lovely shave, even if it was a bit late and I'm tired as anything. Plenty of lather to play with in the big synth brush as well. The APR splash and balm feel great, although the scent of the Un côtelette de porc isn't one I'd normally pick. A bit too subtle for my schnozzola to really pick up.

Evening shave 5th Jan.

Preshave: Shower & Bloomwater.
Razor/Blade: 1923 Gillette NEW w/Wilk. sword (4).
Soap: iColonia Mango oil
Brush: "Heelan Coo" PantaRei mixed Badger/Boar knot.
Postshave: Thayers Original, Myrsol Emulsion, Floid Sauve.

Great shave from the NEW, very smooth, very close 3 pass
1f642.png
. Just what was needed what with the cold weather moving in and all electric heating.
IMG_20170105_161919475-01.jpeg

Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Shaving Soap
Post-shave: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Aftershave Splash

Back to the future again :)

10d1c90d9345354b23ec6657b11cc9fd.jpg

Pre: Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris Best Badger H3
Soap: Mike's Natural Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Razor: ATT Kronos open comb M2
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (3)
A/S: B&M Reserve Cool

Two shaves with the same set-up whilst on a holiday stay. This soap/razor/blade setup is working really well for me. Very comfortable and close shaves, with lovely post-shave feel. The B&M Reserve aftershaves work great for me straight after the Emulsion, I think due to the lower alcohol strength.

I've had plenty to worry about in the last 36 hours. My beautiful Staffie bitch (who took quite a shine to @Mark1966 when he visited a few months back) tangled with a Tiger Snake and came off second best. A 16kg dog envenomated by some of the Planet's nastiest neurotoxins and haemotoxins does not present a good prognosis.
A rush to the emergency vet, followed by 24 hours of anti-venom infusions and a river of saline, and the brave little girl pulled through. What a warrior! And here she is, looking a bit out of sorts but also out of danger.

4fc0859bf7c3768d704622eaa19a94de.jpg
Great looking shave! I'm glad your pup is on the mend. I grew up with Staffies, lovely dogs!

cNbdInu.jpg

La Toja Pre
Boots 26mm Manchurian ala Tony Forsyth
Gillette Slim
Feather
Mystic Water Viola Di Bosco
APR Lavande Violette
APR Lavande Violette Balm

A leisurely Friday shave after a good sleep in, really could not be any more enjoyable (y)

Today's shave is particularly for @nsavage and my daughter who turns 18 (!!!!?!) :)

Razor: Gillette Slim on 7
Blade: Permasharp Super (first use)
Soap: Wolfpac Silk Road (second use)
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Greenpike Special
Aftershave: Aramis
Cologne: Aramis

20170106_100453.jpg

I went back to the tools I know best to better evaluate a Silk Road shave and give @nsavage details. 95% of all of my shaves have been with this razor and this brush. I alternate between a Shark Super Stainless and Permasharp Super Stainless for my default blades. I also wanted to wear my daughter's favourite cologne despite it probably not being a day summer scent. I love it but people WILL know I'm around whether or not they're a fan :)

The puck is pretty hard. The hair there is from yesterday's first badger brush shave. The notes that hit me first are cloves and pepper, which I love. It's probably a scent strength of 4 that turns into a 3 by the end of the shave, The scent doesn't linger on the skin post-shave. The puck was not bloomed and with the current weather there wouldn't have been much moisture left from yesterday at all. The brush was soaked in warm water in my bowl for the duration of my shower.

The Semogue was flicked twice and here it is after 4 seconds of loading the dry puck... this is equal best performance compared to my other soaps.

30 seconds... just as good as TOBS. Cushion and thickness already there.

30 seconds of bowl lathering... just as good as TOBS today. I think my broken-in brush is better than yesterday's brand new one.

Here it is just before the third pass. No extra lathering or added water during the shave (besides any that may have come from my face during rinses). Still heaps there. I have great slickness on the face. I'm loving this more than yesterday.

And here is what is left in the brush after a three pass shave and cleanups. Thick with cushion, glide and slickness. I enjoyed it so much I then rubbed the rest of it into my face Kevyshaves-style before rinsing.

And yes, it was a BBS with no irritation. One pimple weeper... bloody Xmas-food.

Last edited:
BACBPG7.jpg

January 6th, 2017

Razorock "Wunderbar" Slant
Voskhod
Paladin "TSN 2015 LE"
Stirling Soap Co. "Margaritas in the Arctic"

Bloody hot day hear in Adelaide so I decided to go with a nice mentholated number. Additionally I thought I would give a cold water shave a crack. Whilst it was not bad I don't think the cold water shave will become a regular attraction for me. My skin definitely prefers a warm water shave based upon the very small amount of irritation I noted and I also felt that the cold water rinse at the end of a warm water shave is far more refreshing than using cold water throughout (I know what you are thinking, call me crazy LOL).

Razor: Darwin Standard Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'Light Brigade' (10)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson AS2
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Shave Soap
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary "Settantesimo" Aftershave

'Light Brigade' still going strong. The Saponificio Varesino lovely as ever. Every time I use that soap and aftershave I am reminded of how grateful I am for @shavetheman opening up The Stray Whisker and opening up our access to products like this locally.

Happy shavings folks

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 07 January 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #1
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Australian Private Reserve CS – Coconut Sandalwood Aftershave Splash sample made by @todras
Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

WOW! :eek: what a wonderful combination with Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood shaving soap and CS – Coconut Sandalwood Aftershave Splash made by @todras, thank you for the sample @todras you've made my wet shaving more enjoyable and very relaxful shave ;)(y)

Last edited:
@Mark1966 did you or did you not flip you're blade when you reach 10 shaves with you're Darwin Standard Razor

More than 10 shaves now with the Darwin as I used a Personna blade for a while as well :)

Very happy I perservered with it and thanks again to @bald as for the thought that made that happen!

s2As0mE.jpg

Occam's Crushed Lime
Doug Korn D7 TGN
Gillette Slim
Feather
Chauve comme savon à raser Fête au citron
APR Fête au citron après rasage baume
APR Fête au citron après rasage

Ok so probably a bit too much bloody French. It was the second innings with @bald as shaving soap, scented with the Lemon party perfume base and it's still going strong, a very nice soap indeed and one I am keeping for special occasions as I do not have so much of it. Excellent lather again, the suffusing scent of the LP in the bathroom was a great way to wake up, a scented shave soap is so different than an aftershave when you wake it up i.e. lather the soap, and in some ways much more enjoyable.

A nice no nonsense 2 pass, another furiously good shave from the restored Slim with notable support from the Feathers that never seem to let me down. Ive left both the Fatboy and the Slim locked in at '7' and that seems to be the magic number for my skin and the shave. Finished up with a nice cold water drench then on with the goods, the citrus opens right up on application and drys down to a delightful amber and vanilla base with mandarin and neroli definitely present and the others according perfectly. Very pleased, very very pleased.

Shave well you glorious bastards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.