Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
e7bbddcd5527db08a658178f156c0962.jpg

Soap: Stirling - MITA
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Rasor: "ELDYENNE" PN No 5. 5/8" full hollow

Gladly this particular scent from Stirling is a nice strong one and the menthol makes it a hit. The Splash is extra menthol-y and I really enjoy both. THAT BRUSH!! Wow. My brush Nirvana!

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 11 January 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Lather: - Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #3 - going in the tin today blade wears out faster using this slant :(
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Last edited:
iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 11 January 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Lather: - Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Shaving Soap
Razor: - RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: - Perma-Sharp Super #3 - going in the tin today blade wears out faster using this slant :(
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
And the verdict on the Wunderbar is......

And the verdict on the Wunderbar is......

Sorry @nsavage RazoRock Wunderbar Slant is not as smooth compare to iKon X3 Slant, I might keep this Wunderbar for a while to test other blades to find a smooth shave.

The Wunderbar head is slightly different to the X3, because the Wunderbar has more blade exposure compare to the X3 which is why it doesn't give me a smooth shave.

Sorry @nsavage RazoRock Wunderbar Slant is not as smooth compare to iKon X3 Slant, I might keep this Wunderbar for a while to test other blades to find a smooth shave.

The Wunderbar head is slightly different to the X3, because the Wunderbar has more blade exposure compare to the X3 which is why it doesn't give me a smooth shave.
Try adjusting the angle so that the handle comes down closer to your face (I think that is a steeper angle - could someone please correct me if I am wrong?) I found that an angle much teh same as the Stealth Slant and Fine Superlite works well with the Wunderbar. I suspect that they are all loosely modeled from the same design.

20170111_SOTD_S_zpsgpyb4qfw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

20170111_SOTD_S_zpsgpyb4qfw.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Coniferous, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Paradise?

3XpMIdV.jpg

December 11th, 2017

Merkur 45c
Swedish SuperSteel
Razorock "Plissoft"
Occams "Original"

Still testing out some options for my travel kit for early February. Although there is not a lot in it the SuperSteel was perhaps a touch better than the PermaSharp in this razor. Not much of a cream user but the Occams does a really nice job.

What can I say - it was even hard to motivate myself to shave :D :D :D

WOW - that is serious!

You need to either:

a) get on the first plane home, or
b) stay where you are and donate all your kit to me.

Your call mate ...

Worst wetshaving experience so far...

20170111_155337.jpg

Pre-Shave: Proraso Red (goatie area only)
Razor: Gillette New Long Open Comb
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (2)
Soap: StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen
Brush: Semogue 830 (welcome back, baby)
First Aftershave: StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen Non-Alchoholic After Shave Splash
Second Aftershave: PAA Sangre de Drago
Balm: Nivea 2 in 1 Aftershave Balm

Thoughts:
- StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen After Shave may not have alcohol but it clearly has lots of Satan's urine. This sh*t BURNS and keeps BURNING until you jump in the shower and wash it off. Worst experience so far wet shaving. I want it and the soap out of my house. @Cris - would you like a PIF to review online? PM me.
- StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen Soap is a semi-hard soap that is easy to lather. It has good cushion and glide but slickness is not quite up to par of say Wolfpac. Scent is very pleasent but a little light. I don't know if this is due to the Proraso Red pre-shave right under my nose and would shave with it again to test had I not had the splash from hell.
- To test that it wasn't just my crappy mouth shaving skills I put PAA Sangre de Drago on after the chemical shower off. It burnt quickly too then went away leaving lovely face feel. It wasn't my shave that caused the reaction.
- Regretting shaving off my goatie because it's hard to shave around the mouth. First time I looked at the Proglide.

Seems cooling...

Mmmm. That's a big warning...

Last edited:
f2b244f2f06d2cf7496169b64ef829d6.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: Cella
Razor: ATT Kronos open comb M2
Blade: Vintage Polsilver (1)
A/S: Floid Black

One of those classic products that I'd never tried, until today. Cella.
Easy to see why this has such an esteemed reputation. Lovely cherry-marzipan scent, rich lather, and great face feel. Residual slickness not as good as some, but all up a very nice soap.
Also first dance with a vintage Polsilver blade. Whoa - sharp, smooth and very close shave! Three passes for a super-close BBS.
Matched the Cella with another classic to finish - Floid Black.
The simple things are often the best....

Wednesday 11 January 2017

SOTD-11012016.jpg

Getting Ready to Go Back Home

I am about to get ready to go back home and before leaving it is always good to shave. I have been very happy about this shave, not only because of the stellar Mastro Livi razor I brought with me, but also for the awesome aftershave I used today, one of my favorite ones. Floïd Blue is certainly an excellent aftershave and it is so bad they quit production. Nevertheless I see so many wet shave lovers complaining about Floïd Blue not being in production anymore and I wonder whether Colomer - the producer of Floïd range - will ever read this and change their mind. This would certainly make a lot of people very happy.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: De Vergulde Hand
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 83
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Stripes CarboInox Italy, 7/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue

15977128_10206414637363227_8646340718394509889_n.jpg

Click here for Rockwell review

Bottom Line: more testing required but the Rockwell 6s with #5/#6 base plate could end up a viable daily drudge-week shaver. Smooth, easy, no-thought shave that will get me to work looking presentable.

LEA soap.
Guys it aint expensive, but man it is so, so, so good. It is the cheapest soap on my top shelf - along with Speick and Fine. The LEA is great with straights but even with DE/SEs it has a nice soft face feel. Do yourself a favour and grab a puck.
shavemac 167 D01.
oh this brush is just the ticket with 3+ days growth. It really gets in there, wakes that stubble up and says get ready today is a good day to die. Not sure my face could take it every day but for that special day - this is the one.

@stillshunter - just received a Lea puck and planning to use next shave. I've grated the puck and pushed into a stainless steel tin, with the odd squirt of Myrsol Emulsion for lubrication.

3XpMIdV.jpg

December 11th, 2017

Merkur 45c
Swedish SuperSteel
Razorock "Plissoft"
Occams "Original"

Still testing out some options for my travel kit for early February. Although there is not a lot in it the SuperSteel was perhaps a touch better than the PermaSharp in this razor. Not much of a cream user but the Occams does a really nice job.

Spot on, @nsavage - Occams is different class.

Worst wetshaving experience so far...

20170111_155337.jpg

Pre-Shave: Proraso Red (goatie area only)
Razor: Gillette New Long Open Comb
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (2)
Soap: StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen
Brush: Semogue 830 (welcome back, baby)
First Aftershave: StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen Non-Alchoholic After Shave Splash
Second Aftershave: PAA Sangre de Drago
Balm: Nivea 2 in 1 Aftershave Balm

Thoughts:
- StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen After Shave may not have alcohol but it clearly has lots of Satan's urine. This sh*t BURNS and keeps BURNING until you jump in the shower and wash it off. Worst experience so far wet shaving. I want it and the soap out of my house. @Cris - would you like a PIF to review online? PM me.
- StacheSoapWorks Scottish Glen Soap is a semi-hard soap that is easy to lather. It has good cushion and glide but slickness is not quite up to par of say Wolfpac. Scent is very pleasent but a little light. I don't know if this is due to the Proraso Red pre-shave right under my nose and would shave with it again to test had I not had the splash from hell.
- To test that it wasn't just my crappy mouth shaving skills I put PAA Sangre de Drago on after the chemical shower off. It burnt quickly too then went away leaving lovely face feel. It wasn't my shave that caused the reaction.
- Regretting shaving off my goatie because it's hard to shave around the mouth. First time I looked at the Proglide.

Seems cooling...

Mmmm. That's a big warning...

@Greenpike - "Satin's urine"!
ROFLMFAO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.