Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Rockwell 6c (3)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Brush: The Stray Whisker 452 24"
Soap/Cream: unobtainium
Post: Thayer's, HA + Niacinamide , St. James of London Lavender and Geranium gel

Had a super-rough time these last few days. Was hoping for a no-dramas shave and I got one.

My third shave with the Rapira Platinum Lux blades.
They are starting to grow on me, which is surprising given that it is not what I would call a sharp blade.
I simply can't get a DFS with this blade. But, I can get a SAS; and sometimes that's ok.
I might use them when my skin can't handle anything closer.

This is also my first time using the St James of London post.
It is surprisingly good. I quite like the scent and it made my skin settle and feel great.
I think I might get some, again, for when my skin is having an off day.

I also find that riding the cap gives me better shaves on the neck. Not so much on the cheeks or chin however.

Yeah, I'm like you...riding the guard works for my cheeks and chin whereas riding the top cap works on my neck.

With the progress, riding the guard works everywhere due to the extreme blade bend. Probably why it's my all time favorite razor.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Baum.be pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale (Tallow)
Razor: UFO Goliath / ATT SE1
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (5)
Scent: Guerlain Vetiver

The Wholly Kaw soap did not disappoint - very dense and creamy lather, with top drawer slickness and residual slickness. The scent is subtle, and I agree with others that it shares some notes with Tabac. Three passes for a DFS+ - the blade was fading a little, so I skipped buffing. A very nice post-shave feel from the soap.

OzZhzYDl.jpg

Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: APR, SAA
Razor: Gem junior bar
Blade : Gem SS
A great start to a Sunday

7yFGX2jl.jpg

hezWZXCh.jpg

Soap: Pb Nettle n Neem
Brush: Omega 10083
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: GEM
AS: Pb Max
Pulled out the hemp shirt and the Nettle n Neem this morning (not really, gotta lose a few kilos to fit into the hemp shirt again:)).
Love this stuff (occasionally), it's so thick and creamy slick. Love the damp earthy scent. Took a little while to get past the stringy plastic emulsion when lathering but well worth the effort. Perfect pair with the Ever Ready. :sigh of contentment:
Hmm...what to do on a Sunday, I know, I'll make some soap.

@Pbgoose I'm going to have to do you a contra for some magic beans! That soap sounds great.

Pre: Proraso White Preshave (no prep)
Soap: B&M Bay Rum - Scraping the bottom of the tub now!
Brush: Generic Badger
Blade: Korten 400, Puma #21 Straights
A/S: St John's Bay Rum

The Korten didn't have the edge that I was hoping it would, so switched over to the Puma after a couple of strokes. Old faithful, clean result.

B&M soaps lather well for me, but are fairly goopy without more water than one would think necessary. The right amount of water sees a great lather that lasts an entire pass.

Feeling manly again!

7Eo9JHul.jpg

Semogue Boar, Haslinger, Bengall, Witch Hazel, Johnsons Intensive Care
Rarely do more than two passes yet went for three today and had a couple of small nicks but honestly getting through a straight shave with no blood,at this stage for me, is comment worthy.I am sure as I progress this will change.Haslinger soap doesn't need a lot of water and am still figuring it out,it was an ok lather but not as good as MWF yet.An enjoyable shave for a very smooth result.

0729544b7e.png

Pre: warm wash
Brush: Maseto Memphis Badger
Soap: Grooming Dept Yuzu
Razor: Schick Injector I1 (late 50s)
Blade: Supply (?)

Was looking for a mild shave and smooth one so looked around and found the Schick Injector at the back of the draw. Very sloppy of me as I pride myself on looking after my razors so no marks or corrosion and develop. So as punishment I didn't change the blade that was already in it. Very surprised how smooth it was and a lovely shave it produced.
Highly recommended daily shaver.
Will be my shaver for the rest of the week.

Razor: Vintage Gillette British NEW head on a Weber classic handle
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) & Squadron Soap LE Australians All shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) & Squadron Soap LE Australians All splash
Fragrance: Qantas codeshare on China Eastern economy class to PVG

I will not have time in the morning to post - so in advance my last shave in Australia for a little while so it had to be this one. With the Commonwealth Games in full swing - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Not too sure I like that scent. Maybe you should take a leaf out of @UKSteve book and PowerShot 12x doses so the whole plane smells better :whistle:
Safe trip!

Progress XL@3 w/Polsilver
TurnNshave boss knot synth
B&M latha original
Anherb balm

I really enjoy the latha soaps, nice simple scents but not boring in any way.
I tried a few B&M ex-latha samples and wasn't too keen so didn't get any full sized tubs.

I've yet to try the reserve line so maybe that's in store for next year. I'll try to source samples this year if I can so I can decide which to purchase next year, after sabbatical.

0729544b7e.png

Pre: warm wash
Brush: Maseto Memphis Badger

Soap: Grooming Dept Yuzu
Razor: Schick Injector I1 (late 50s)
Blade: Supply (?)

Was looking for a mild shave and smooth one so looked around and found the Schick Injector at the back of the draw. Very sloppy of me as I pride myself on looking after my razors so no marks or corrosion and develop. So as punishment I didn't change the blade that was already in it. Very surprised how smooth it was and a lovely shave it produced.
Highly recommended daily shaver.
Will be my shaver for the rest of the week.
Hi @RustyBlade I have to ask what's the Maseto 2 Band like I love the handle

Hi @RustyBlade I have to ask what's the Maseto 2 Band like I love the handle
First Badger brush ever and only used five times so it softer than what I'm used too. Had the finest originally and thought it was too soft so sent it back for a swap. Handle is perfect for me and very comfortable.
So, can't say compared to anything I've used lately. It is dense and needs to load off the container way longer so eats soap compared to a boar and synthetic.
Early days and not enjoying it :cry:

*Edit I'm a face lather.
'Riding the cap' @SpeedyPC would be your man as he has all of them ;)

Last edited:
*Edit I'm a face lather.
@SpeedyPC world be your man as he has all of them.
Smartarse,:p I'm a face and bowl lather :D I do have the 26mm Finest 2 Band Maseto Memphis badger brush, however, I haven't opened the box yet until I've moved into my unit because I missed all my angry badger brush so much.

vampirebadger.jpg

Last edited:
That is one arsed angry badger. My brush doesnt have teeth like that, thank God.

So if you measure your 26mm you'll find it to be rather 28mm at the base and mine is ~50mm loft when new.

Even though @58FB is after opinion on a 26mm Maseto, your thoughts on your other Masetos might be helpful.

Smartarse,:p I'm a face and bowl lather :D I do have the 26mm Finest 2 Band Maseto Memphis badger brush, however, I haven't opened the box yet until I've moved into my unit because I missed all my angry badger brush so much.

vampirebadger.jpg

From Friday:
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C "Platypus"
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven "Arctic Mango"
Razors: iKon X3, Rockwell 6S (4)
Blades: Gillette Nacet (5), Polsilver SI (4)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Brut ASL

This evenings shave:
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap/Cream: MWF
Razors: iKon X3, Rockwell 6S (4)
Blades: Rapira Platinum Lux (1), Polsilver SI (1)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Myrsol Formula "C"

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: RR Mamba
Blade: Personna Blue (3)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Shaving factory mug
Soap: EJ Menthol puck

A pleasant shower shave with the Mamba, resulting in a near BBS with no irritation. The Personna blade is really growing on me and the menthol in the soap left my face cool and fresh :) Hope to have some new items to try in time for my next SOTD but untill then, have yourselves a great Monday!

BBS SOTN
W 2C (3) Incredible Razor
Gillette Gillette Stainless Steel
I Coniali
Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream
Mondial Bore (I got it might as well use it even if I'm not that keen on it)
Black Floid (Just the best)

Also a note to @SpeedyPC I heard a whisper from a certain Gillette Fat Boy 58 D4 that he was very upset with him, he has been left on the rack just hanging and been forgotten lololol
K0hmmbe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.