Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dior Eau Sauvage Apres-Rasage is a big rediscovered scent this year in OZ every Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing it, even the girls at work. Love it but sadly everywhere I go.

A big rediscovered ? or one of several feminine imitators that are identical, the composition is well known and often copied ;)

I wish I picked up the EdT! So far it and apr winterfall are my top cold day scents, unfortunately I can't wear winterfall to work because the guy in the desk next to me starts sneezing and complaining about a "dusty" smell lol. That's just from the aftershave

Would you say these razors give and aggressive or mild shave? I was looking at them yesterday, I love the vintage bronze look. So steam punk!
Hi @LukehGee - Unfortunately I only own the basic $15.00 version razor heads in SB & OC as at the time all the 'machined' versions were out of stock. I would recommend the SB basic head to anybody starting out as it's just a cheaper version of the EJ DE89 but shaves similar to the Merkur 34C. The OC is fairly aggressive but I prefer the SB as it's really smooth and at $30.00 US for both you can't really complain.
By all accounts the 'Machined' versions are up there with similar 'premium' razors and the handles alone are a true piece of art but when you factor in the individual cost for each piece, you're left with one expensive razor. I've seen complete razors sell for under $250 but they're limited in stock and usually a standard version. Charcoal Goods designed a SS version for West Coast Shaving recently which was modelled on the Level 2 SB head with a few different handle designs but the last time I checked they'd nearly sold out :happy: All in all nice looking razors but I'll happily stick with my Timeless Bronze for now (y)

SOTD 18/04/2018

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Razor: WCS anodized SB head & handle
Blade: Personna Blue (5)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine Lathering bowl
Soap: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose

Smooth, colourful, aromatic, comfortable 3 pass DFS! :cigar:

1. Preshave: Shiner Gold
  2. Blade:Astra Superior Platinum
  3. Razor: Charcoal Goods Anchor Handle in antique brass, with a level 3 Open Comb head
  4. Soap: D.R. Harris; Marlborough
  5. Brush: Dov silvertip
  6. Postshave: RazoRock Don Marco aftershave milk
  7. Earworm: Whatever, The Butthole Surfers
Wow, this baseplate is aggressive, it needs a feather touch and after two passes I was done. Super efficient, but probably better suited to a few days growth not a 5 o'clock shadow.

Coconut oil pre shave
Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
TurnNshave angel hair synth
Trigodon - Calm Seas soap
Anherb balm

Wonderful scent on the Trigodon soap! Really very unique and nothing comes close to matching it. Produces a rich lather too!

Every Thursday is a great Thursday when you try something new!!. I was mostly tempted at the end to go for winterfall, because, I don't know why, but on the first sniff, the first thing that came to my mind was a special dark black-olives spread my Amama used to made while I lived with her (amama is the basque word for grandmother), but I move onto the new APR soap :).

pre: hot water
razor: Seygus extrem
blade: Astra green
brush: semogue 2000 boar
soap: APR Ozymandias
splash: Floid suave

nviGZnK.jpg

That's a different animal, even if I scoop a bit and spread on the base of the bowl, lathering experience has been as great as from a tub (I don't have a nanobrush to load on the sample tub :p ). The lather was delicious , as the scent. Seamless bbs shave with the most dangerous razor I have (one nick included). Soap scent has survived completely to the (cat urine) Floid scent. I was expecting something stronger on the dark corner, but it does not. Unfortunately, I have not try de EdP yet, being small enough to not use it before going to bed, but at least I know I will go for the splash!
cheers

of course, a small fraction of the lather....

Prep:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Baum.be pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Tallow + Steel Boreal
Razor: UFO Goliath / ATT SE1
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (2)
Scent: Knize Forest

Fantastic pine forest scent from the Tallow and Steel soap. The manufacturer states that they only use essential oils from the Canadian boreal forest, specifically Cedarwood, Cedar Leaf, Birch, Balsam Fir, White Spruce, Black Spruce, and Monarda. Residing on the opposite side of the globe, I am not familiar with these botanicals, but boy does the soap smell great. Very natural outdoors pine forest scent; just not the pines I am used to. The lather was excellent; easy to lather and very slick and protective. Post-shave feel was also excellent. Three passes for a DFS+.
I was expecting the Knize Forest scent, being a pine-dominant fougère, to be a good match for the Boreal soap. It was better than good; almost synergistic!

Date: 20 April 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- La Toja (3 shave sticks grated into a 150ml plastic tub)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C (R4) / Vintage Wilkinson Sword Stainless Super Sword-Edge #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Finally, at last, the house has been sold before Auction day the paperwork has been signed, my mother buys her unit closer to my brother and my father moves to a DVA retirement village somewhere in Narrabeen, until my father is fit enough while he's still in the Sydney Clinic mental hospital for PTSD and other issues until further notices. The bad news is my father has prostate cancer so he's going to have treatment for his cancer which is another heavy blow for all of us he'll be transfer to another hospital soon, I've got a funny feeling he may not want to carry out the treatment for the Prostate cancer, will have to wait and see when he has a private conversation with his brother and my brother together along with his lawyer soon.

My mother has offered me some extra money to cover the cost on the new carpet and new furniture, while I do the painting on my unit with some extra help from my brother after the tenant moves out next Thursday which I'll start painting this Saturday.

MPSb1svl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Stirling - Ben Franklin
Brush: Omega Italian
Razor: Jowika
Thanks @nav1 for reminding me about the pre shave oil. I used to use the coconut regularly but it adds time to the routine so it got dropped. Worth doing though so I'll be using it a bit more for skin protection and slickness. Didn't pull the straight out when travelling this week. Glad to get back to it. I get good shaves from the DE's and SE's but just don't seem to get the same longevity. The R41 shave this week was easily DFS but the 5 o'clock shadow was noticeable.

1. 1. Preshave: Shiner Gold
  2. Blade:Astra Superior Platinum
  3. Razor: Charcoal Goods Magnum handle, with a dual level 2 comb
  4. Soap: B&M First Snow
  5. Brush: Floris pure badger 17mm
  6. Postshave: RazoRock DonMarco
  7. Earworm: F.E.A.R. by Ian Brown
I think that this brush has had it now and that I need to look into getting a new knot. It has lasted for over 20 years and whilst I have no idea whether this is good or not, I reckon that equates to good value. I struggled to get a decent lather this morning, probably due to hairs, just not loading the soap well. However, still enough for a decent 2 pass shave, it's Friday after all. I really like the balance between the leather and pine of this soap. I also picked up a bit of menthol this morning. I haven't checked the ingredients, so I don't know if it's there or not, but I picked up something. Anyway, roll on the weekend.

Last edited:

I think that this brush has had it now and that I need to look into getting a new knot. It has lasted for over 20 years and whilst I have no idea whether this is good or not, I reckon that equates to good value. I struggled to get a decent lather this morning, probably due to hairs, just not loading the soap well. However, still enough for a decent 2 pass shave, it's Friday after all. I really like the balance between the leather and pine of this soap. I also picked up a bit of menthol this morning. I haven't checked the ingredients, so I don't know if it's there or not, but I picked up something. Anyway, roll on the weekend.

Mate, that brush is only just broken in!:LOL:

I did a repair on a shaving brush for my Father In Law recently (reglue knot) and I looked in his shaving cupboard and it was like:eek:. There was a butt of a shaving brush, literally worn down to within an inch of its life. Wouldn't have thought it possible but this is the generation that lived through the war and nothing was wasted. But don't let me discourage you, my first brush is sitting in the drawer not getting much love.

IMAG0084.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Maggard SB + WCS brass handle
Blade: Rapira P/Lux (1)
Soap: Squadron's Dutch Resistance
Post: Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil & PAA Atomic travel aftershave

Creamy, Liquorice scent?, Sharp, Efficient, 3 pass DFS :) Have a great Friday!

IMAG0084.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Maggard SB + WCS brass handle
Blade: Rapira P/Lux (1)
Soap: Squadron's Dutch Resistance
Post: Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil & PAA Atomic travel aftershave

Creamy, Liquorice scent?, Sharp, Efficient, 3 pass DFS :) Have a great Friday!

Is it a sweet confectionary type scent or a greener herbaceous aniseed scent?

IMG_20180419_083716-01.jpg

So excited to be part of the Parker Variant passaround and here is my first shave from yesterday. I've gone with one of my favourite sets of all-time and the Winterfell scent is perfect for the autumn that's hit Perth. We're not Mycroft cold yet, sadly.

The Parker is SMOOTH. I like its heaviness too. The shave was at 4 then 5 and with a white Gillette Stainless blade... just great. Very easy to find the angle and the only negative is the large head shape makes shaving around my nose an issue as per the Merkur Futur. I can recommend this to all who like milder shaves. I think this would be a superb starting razor.

However, I've become addicted to very aggressive razors with the Colonial General and R41 being my favourite modern razors. Indeed, my neck works best that way. Even at the higher settings, and despite it looking as scary as the Futur, this is a bit too friendly for me. I also have much more stubble the next day than I would with either of my preferences. The Futur is a much more aggressive version of this if you want an adjustable. Having said this, if you're not like me and you don't like those aggressive razors then I think this would be a world beater for you that's very affordable.

Date: 20 April 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- La Toja (3 shave sticks grated into a 150ml plastic tub)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C (R4) / Vintage Wilkinson Sword Stainless Super Sword-Edge #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Finally, at last, the house has been sold before Auction day the paperwork has been signed, my mother buys her unit closer to my brother and my father moves to a DVA retirement village somewhere in Narrabeen, until my father is fit enough while he's still in the Sydney Clinic mental hospital for PTSD and other issues until further notices. The bad news is my father has prostate cancer so he's going to have treatment for his cancer which is another heavy blow for all of us he'll be transfer to another hospital soon, I've got a funny feeling he may not want to carry out the treatment for the Prostate cancer, will have to wait and see when he has a private conversation with his brother and my brother together along with his lawyer soon.

My mother has offered me some extra money to cover the cost on the new carpet and new furniture, while I do the painting on my unit with some extra help from my brother after the tenant moves out next Thursday which I'll start painting this Saturday.

Sorry to hear about your dad's cancer! That is a mighty blow indeed and I hope things work out for him!!

For the last couple of months, I've been furnishing my new flat...it's been a fun process! Took delivery of my white marble top dining table couple of days ago and now delivery of the sofa and curtains are pending.

Coconut oil pre shave
Progress XL
NOS Gillette stainless blade
Shaver Heaven - Gone Grapefruit soap
TurnNshave boss knot synth
Anherb balm

Love the scent on the SH...a very freshly cut grapefruit!!

The blade is awesome! I've got a tuck each of a few NOS Gillette and Schick blades and it's interesting to try them out occasionally. This one was great (still lesser than my much-loved Polsilver)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.