Not open for further replies.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Fine Platinum
Razor: UFO Goliath / ATT SE1
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (3)
Splash: Alt Innsbruck EdC
Scent: Aramis Havana EdT

A shave with another Fine soap - Platinum. The scent is a pretty decent take on Aventus. I am convinced that the Fine soap base is very good - it takes a bit of time to load, but the lather is very creamy, slick and persistent, with a nice post-shave feel. Three passes and a clean-up for a BBS, and I am :D.
A tobacco triple combo with the Alt Innsbruck Emulsion and Cologne, followed by Aramis Havana.
Now for the FA Cup Semi.................

VrNxD3Fl.jpg

Brush: Atomic Rocket
Soap: Arko
Razor: Damaskeene OC
Blade: Gem SS

I thought the scent of Arko wasn't too bad and I might get used to it, no. Luckily I had something good to compensate for it.​

Date: 22 April 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- La Toja (3 shave sticks grated into a 150ml plastic tub)
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C (R5) / Vintage Wilkinson Sword Stainless Super Sword-Edge #2
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

Be sure that the handle actually fits the Weber...I realised after some quiet aggressive shaves, that my UFO neck is actually too wide for the Weber and doesn't tighten it up fully...you get a much more aggressive razor that way.

The 2 bars on the under side of the Weber base plate are not completely flat if that makes sense. There is a small curvature, so the neck of your handle has to have a substantially smaller diameter than you might think...I hope this makes sense.

Thanks, it makes sense, but it's not a problem with this handle. I have used it a few times with other blades with no problems. I think the problem could be on that specific blade? I have used this Gillette in the past and they didn't gave me problems in a Merkur 42c...
I'll try today with a feather to see how it behaves :)

PYytIbx.jpg

Valobra Pre Shave
Declaration Jefferson
Wolfman WR1 SB
Feather
Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe Soap/Splash

@todras, could you please advise the plate on the WR1. I notice that many of the razors you use are ones that I use. If I happen to win the lottery or have a nature call during the night when the Wolfman drop is on, I would like to know what gap I should be requesting.

@todras, could you please advise the plate on the WR1. I notice that many of the razors you use are ones that I use. If I happen to win the lottery or have a nature call during the night when the Wolfman drop is on, I would like to know what gap I should be requesting.

.67 on the SB in the picture, mid aggressive and it's perfect for me, I would compare it to the ATT R1 plate.

You may want to go the standard gap if you don't like overly efficient razors.

IMG_20180422_141202-01.jpg

My last Parker Variant shave and I think I found the combo that works for me. Setting 7 for the three passes and a 3 on the back of the neck/ears/unibrow using my fav blade - the smooth Gillette Stainless (white & red). I have an excellent BBS everywhere except directly under my nose. Its weight is spot on and it beats the Slim in terms of just how much blade gap you can get. If the head design worked a little better under my big conk I would definitely buy one. This is a brilliant AFFORDABLE modern razor that has an enormous range of aggressiveness while still being quite user friendly. Thanks to @Mark1966 for running the passaround and being such a generous and kind steward of our community [Insert Beach Boys God Only Knows]. I will make sure it's cleaned up and passed on to @TomG .

In terms of software I felt like it was an orange Sunday so acted accordingly. I almost never add that PaulH witch hazel stage because I'm an oily bastard but... why not. If I go pimpley I can always dry it out with all my mean alcohol based splashes after a shower. I also want to give special mention to the RR soap which gave a brilliant lather via the Bloom Bowl today. I wish more of you didn't experience irritation from this great base.

Last edited:
A warm day down here, inviting to some orange:

Pre: Myrsol emulsion
razor: Weber+UGO goliath
blade: Feather #1
brush: yaqi sagrada familia
soap: Extro Arancia italiana
splash: Thomas Tew
EdP: APR suitably attired Summer

yV7zdvL.jpg

I can definitely blame the blade. Maybe that was an used blade that I may have kept kept ultra clean and perfecly packed back?

And some Lather

Coconut oil pre shave
Progress XL w/NOS Gillette stainless
TurnNshave silvertip synthetic
SV Manna di Sicilia
Anherb balm

Rubbish shave!!
The blade felt rough and the end result was visible stubble!! Just horrid!!

I don't think I'll bother with any more blade trials and just stick with the Polsilver. I knew there was a reason I stocked up on 7,000 of them!!

Coconut oil pre shave
Progress XL w/NOS Gillette stainless
TurnNshave silvertip synthetic
SV Manna di Sicilia
Anherb balm

Rubbish shave!!
The blade felt rough and the end result was visible stubble!! Just horrid!!

I don't think I'll bother with any more blade trials and just stick with the Polsilver. I knew there was a reason I stocked up on 7,000 of them!!
Hmm, you are making me nervous. I’d better go and count my Polsilvers to see if I have enough.:watching:
By my estimations I’m short by a few thousand.:eek:
Might sleep a little better tonight, just bought another two hundred.:)

Last edited:
Man I feel ya. Since I tried Polsilvers, every other blade I try feels some what rough.

Hmm, you are making me nervous. I’d better go and count my Polsilvers to see if I have enough.:watching:
By my estimations I’m short by a few thousand.:eek:
Might sleep a little better tonight, just bought another two hundred.:)

To be honest, I find the blade to be my most important determining factor in how my shave will be.
Even the razor basically determines the comfort level and blade feel but I can't use a crap dull blade even in my favourite razor whereas I can use the Polsilver in nearly any razor and still get a good shave.

For me, there are no longer any metrics of smoothness and sharpness or combinations thereof! I find basically every blade is "dull" and "tuggy" until I find one sharp enough to cut the hair without resistance and therefore feels "smooth"...simple :)

And yes, Bruce, you are a few thousand short but you also have the benefit of your perennial straight razors!!

SOTN 22/04/2018

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Razor: iKon SBS + OSS handle
Blade: Rapira P/Lux (3)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Bloom shaving bowl
Soap: Squadron's Scramble

Started the shave with the Parker Variant and had to change razors as the blade felt too rough on my skin. Continued the shave with SBS on the SB side, resulting in a DFS. Really undecided about the blade and might try it in the Mamba as its a more smooth/milder shaver. As for the soap, love the scent profile - spicy but slightly sweet and performance wise very nice and super slick. Have a wonderful working week and see you in the next SOTD!

M6sBdlml.jpg

Fantastic shave this morning with two day growth. The GSB blade effortlessly sliced through my stubble and it is definitely apparent that my neck requires me to ride the top cap to get a close comfortable shave.
B & M Bay Rum provides great lather which was so simple to get spot on!

Enjoy the shortened work week all!

2nQ5IMG.jpg

Chatillon Lux Pre Shave Butter
M&F L7
Wolfman WR1 SB
Feather
Caties Bubbles+Carnavis & Richardson Porch Drinks
Chatillon Lux Porch Drinks Aftershave
Chatillon Lux Gratiot League Square EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.