Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the smell of the base constant and overpowering? Have you smelt the one called "shore"? Is it a coastal smell? I did not know I needed a Coast smelling scent untill I seen that. (Hoping for some mad nostalgia growing up coastal). Did you get this from the maggards meet up? I read that the CL lamplight scent is awesome. Did you get a chance to sample it?

So many questions!

The base smell is only there for the first few shaves, after that its pretty much non-existence. I got all 3 Icarus soaps :) Sweet Lemon, Shore & Contemplation. Shore smells like a beach but doesn't have that strong "sun tan lotion smell". Very very nice. Yes, got them from the Maggard Meet up and Lamplight is a winner for sure!

kIS0Sexl.jpg

Rockwell 6S (#4), Maseto 3 band, Voskhod (3), Haslinger (Sage) hand lathered, Dickinson's.... 2 pass XTG, 2 neck weepers

Off to Melbourne tomorrow returning Friday... thermals and fleece jacket have been pulled out of storage and dusted off in anticipation!

June 6, 2018 - Wednesday
CM6NLGOl.jpg

Prep: Shower, Stirling Iced Coffee
Brush: Bouchers Brushes Blood & Cream - 28mm Plissoft
Razor: Razorock German 37 Slant on Maggard Blue MR-16
Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
Lather: Declaration Grooming - Shore - Soap
Post Shave: Australian Private Reserve - Lightning Ridge - Aftershave
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve - Lightning Ridge - Eau de Parfum

Shore is probably my favorite of the 3 new Icarus base soaps. Love this stuff. Scott really does a great job with his scents and describing them.​

Prep:
Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Cream: XPEC Original
Razor: Wilkinson Sword "Sticky"
Blade: Super Iridium (1)
Scent: Erik Kormann Steampunk Viola EdT

A very comfortable three pass shave for a DFS+ result. The XPEC cream is a croap with about the same consistency as AdP cream. It is a top shelf performer, with easily sufficient residual slickness for buffing and touch-up strokes. It seems that many users of this cream have not liked the scent. Not me - I find it delightful, with a soft rose note beautifully intertwined with cedarwood, oakmoss and a touch of citrus.
The Steampunk Viola, with its vibrant violet punch, was a good match and a nice way to finish.

2YQFpZA.jpg

Pre: Warm water
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Voskhod (2)

After walking out into the cold morning air, it felt nice to have the layer of dead sheep fat to protect the face.

Have a nice day all.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (8)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN finest
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw Man from Mayfair shaving soap
Aftershave: Wholly Kaw Man from Mayfair splash

The second of the slow boat from Canada purchases. It seems that it is their 'barbershop tribute' and 'for discerning gentleman who cares for finer things in life – custom shirts, custom suits, shoes, ties, watches, grooming products, perfumes i.e. everything a man needs to be sharp and dapper'. Not sure that I qualify but, whatever :)

kIS0Sexl.jpg

Rockwell 6S (#4), Maseto 3 band, Voskhod (3), Haslinger (Sage) hand lathered, Dickinson's.... 2 pass XTG, 2 neck weepers

Off to Melbourne tomorrow returning Friday... thermals and fleece jacket have been pulled out of storage and dusted off in anticipation!
You’ll need them @Scotty, bloody cold in Melbourne....

Iare5ZZl.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pb MnM
Brush: 26mm TF KBBB
Razor: Colonial General Brass
Blade: Feather Pro Super
Great BBS result with this combo this morning. Still making my mind up about this soap. Maybe it's the Neroli I'm tripping on. Sometimes I like the scent, and sometimes not so much.
I think the Palm oil content makes for a different lather. In the bowl the lather was unconvincing but very substantial and yoghurty on the face. Maybe the MnM could stand for Meh n Moar!! Anyway, couldn't argue with performance.

Pre Shave: Warm water. Proraso Green
Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
Blade: Astra green (2)
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk1
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Being a menthol soap and splash fan decided to give the Snake Bite a go today. Well, it produced a thick and slick lather in no time.
Wow, it certainly left a cooling sensation on the face. If you have a head cold this will clear the sinuses in no time, way to go!
Result, two passes and touch up, achieved very comfortable DFS.

F0wepYZl.jpg

I realised this morning that I do value blade feel, as it keeps me on my toes when it comes to pressure. Think the timeless taught me that. Got a couple small weepers right side of my mouth when going ATG (one of my trouble spots). Totally my fault as I used pressure. Good reminder, as I was very cautious with the rest of the cheek. Lovely close shave, and would love to see how the D plate performs. I could see myself potentially using all 3 (B, C & D). Rochas pairs very well (I think) with the Merchant of Tobacco, being both very "groumand" to my nose.

Brush: maggard synth
Razor: 6s 6/3
Blade: voshkod(2)
Soap:declaration bandwagon
Splash/edp: fresca
Started to shave my first 2 passes on setting six going back to 3 for the atg pass.getting great results so far less irritation and a closer shave as well.i felt like fresca today so I wore it regardless of the crappy weather and I'm loving it.

twSOZyU.jpg

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla UFO Titan L
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Paladin Sumo Lapis
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

The Guerrilla is just a fantastic razor and I had a wonderful shave with it today. This Paladin has a phenomenal knot for me and the resulting Stirling lather was stellar - happy days :)

I hope you all have a terrific Thursday (y)

28760984928_8881bb2605_z.jpg

Razor: Colonial General
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Semogue boar hair
Lather: OSP Barbershop cream
Fragrance: CD Dior Homme cologne

After a lot more tries with the Colonial General, I'm finding that it's more efficient & easier to use than I initially thought. It's become one of my favourites at the moment specially when I find myself pressed for time with the shave.

Finished the OSP shaving cream this morning...great lather & performance but I wouldn't be rushing to get another tub (I blame all the APR stuff that has been coming out this season ;))

Semogue 1305
Proraso Red
Vintage Tech
Elios Stainless
Witch Hazel
Viet Cheapie

First pre 7am shave for many years today as had to be somewhere so stayed with the Tech/Elios combination.Second use of the blade and still happy with it,though a couple of small weepers around voice box and only due to moving a bit quicker than usual.Two passes and ended with a nice smooth result.Too early to take a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.