Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROxIfsHl.jpg

Soap: Pb Carronoki
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Razor: Damascus
AS: Pb The Black Spruce
Fine shave, the Damascus is still singing nicely, and the Semogue was much more comfortable this morning.

That showpiece in the background :love:(y)

SV Sunday

Lemon Myrtle pre shave oil
Progress XL w/Polsilver
Muhle STF L v2
SV manna di sicilia
Anherb balm

Awesome, awesome shave!!
Absolutely beautiful soap, whipped up by the fantastic muhle STF.

After all these years, the progress is still my best shaver! Let's see if the karve will change that.

IMAG0181.jpg

Brush: RR 400
Razor: Charcoal Goods basic OC head + RR bambo handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine lathering bowl
Pre: Shower
Soap: Squadron's Red Lead

A quick weekend shave with a neglected razor combination. I remember this head being on the more aggressive end compared with the SB version, however today's shave was not as efficient as other OC's in my collection, whick kinda sucks but still an enjoyable shave. The soap lathered up great, was slick and creamy and I really enjoyed the 'Old Spice' scent. Have an enjoyable Sunday afternoon!

Glycerin as a pre shave is as good as it gets; I've tried many so what vendor do you purchase from?

I get the Valobra from Gifts and Care, a bar lasts me a good 6 months of daily use so I grab a couple whenever I have to do an order with them. The combination of Lanolin and the high glycerine content in the soap composition makes it my ideal pre-shave bar, it's cheap and very well made soap that helps make the morning shave even more enjoyable.

Are you using the Glycerlanolino soap, Mate?

Yes indeed :)

I get the Valobra from Gifts and Care, a bar lasts me a good 6 months of daily use so I grab a couple whenever I have to do an order with them. The combination of Lanolin and the high glycerine content in the soap composition makes it my ideal pre-shave bar, it's cheap and very well made soap that helps make the morning shave even more enjoyable.

Yes indeed :)
@todras - found out recently that this soap is tallow-based, as well as containing glycerine and lanolin. No wonder it works so well.

Today here in Adelaide the schedule entailed crafting a new soap recipe and restoring one of my Japanese Tanifuji blades. I recently got some #80, #240 and #600 SIC powder and spent some time while the soap was cooking to lap my stones on a new glass lapping plate.
The soap cooked very well and was all I had hoped. Easy to lather, rich and with excellent glide.
I hot processed the soap and cooked it for 2 hours then put it in a mold in the freezer. It is great.
The freshly lapped stones were a real pleasure to use and gave a very crisp edge.
The razor was exceptionally sharp so only a single pass for a DFS.
I finished with Macadamia nut oil mixed with Lemon myrtle which I need to make another batch of very soon.

tEiHWYel.jpg

This is up there with being one of the best shaves I’ve had. Super smooth face and neck.
Can someone advise on these blades? Are they the cheap ones that get very little love? I got them as a bonus with an order from somewhere but can’t recall. Maybe vshod perhaps. I was very hesitant to use but thought I’d start on plate 4 and cut back to R2 for pass 2 and 3. I kept it on R4 for all passes and thought it was amazing. This with 2 days growth.

The soap was great too. Had a go at loading more before final pass and this helped immensely. I used to think that it was a fail to need to go back to the soap for more but not anymore!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 'Slim' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) SkyeFall shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) SkyeFall splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) SkyeFall EDT

Great start to the working week, it has been too long since I used my birth year Slim!

Can someone advise on these blades? Are they the cheap ones that get very little love? I got them as a bonus with an order from somewhere but can’t recall.
They look like modern (German) Wilkinson Swords. They shouldn't be hard to find.
From memory, there is a difference between the German made and the Indian made ones. With the German ones attracting a premium.

Brush:maggard synth
Razor: Fatboy(7)
Blade: 7oclock yellow
Soap: Anne bonny
Splash: Anne bonny
The cold miserable weather has set in so bay rum it is.been a while since I've used a vege soap but once I remembered not to put in much water it was a nice lather if slightly lacking in residual slickness.
Also decided it's time to use some other razors besides the Rockwell so the Fatboy is getting a run.

They look like modern (German) Wilkinson Swords. They shouldn't be hard to find.
From memory, there is a difference between the German made and the Indian made ones. With the German ones attracting a premium.
Thanks @lerenau i thought these would be awful to use but i was pleasantly surprised after today's shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.