Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 'Slim' Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (12)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson reknotted in 'pure'
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw Merchant of Tobacco shaving soap
Aftershave: The Stray Whisker After Balm balm
Fragrance: Miller Harris feuilles de tabac EDP

U4ONgckl.jpg

Soap: Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavender
Brush: Vie-Long Horse
Razor: Blackbird
Blade: Vintage Wilky (4 and out)
Shave didn't feet that good, blade was a bit rough, but ended up with smooth face, so that's what we're here for.
That's it for the Blackbird, until I order one of my own. Thanks @Snooze . Love the Blackbird.
It was interesting just how different the shave experience was with various blades. The two standouts for me were the Dorco and the Nacet but I'd go back and give the Feather and Perma-Sharp another go.
We've got rain! It's been raining most of the night, best rain we've had in a while. I showed Mrs Pbgoose the SOTD photo and she 'No, I think you should take an outside shot'.:sneaky::cautious: I said 'Yep, you hold the umbrella for me?' and that's where it ended.

@Pbgoose absolutely wonderful to hear about the rain in your area.
Very interested to see you have a Vie-Long barber style horse brush in your SOTD.
Was it funky smelling when you first started to use it?
Is the knot large enough to create good lather and is it more a bowl or face brush?
Being a horse hair brush does it, or has it tangled at all?
How does it compare to other brushes you have?
Oh heck :) All these questions, can you do a review on the brush please?
I'm considering getting one and would value your input.

Steve

44219604502_79f007858d_c.jpg

Tallow+Steel Boreal + SV Felce Aromatica + Wilkinson Sticky + Victoria vintage badger + Astra +Paco Rabanne EDT

This soap was on my Father's Day wish list & no one wanted to get it for me. Hence, it is now an early gift from me to ME...Yayy, ME!!! The soap performance is fantastic...slick & protective lather that is very green and woodsy in scent that is very green and woodsy in scent. Pairs quite nicely with SV & Paco Rabanne (y)

IMAG0222.jpg

Brush: Omega
Face: iKon SBS + OSS handle
Blade: Crystal (1)
Head: Headblade Ghost
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine lather bowl
Soap: Squadron Scramble
Post: Thayers Lemon & Aloe Vera Witch Hazel + Australian Lemon & Tea Tree Cream

A very enjoyable weekend head/face shave with this awesome soap. Mmm all spice & vanilla bourbon... Happy shaves! :)

Pre: Warm water
Razor: Timeless , S/S 0.68 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk1
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: APR Coolabah
With Canberra's heatwave today decided on a refreshing shave with APR Coolabah. :LOL:

image hoster

Rockwell R4 w/Polsilver
Yaqi High Mountain White
SV Tundra Artica
Anherb balm

@SpeedyPC
Sorry no pic today but this thing is amazing! The tips are darker than the other badger knots but at a certain angle, you can see the white silvery shine. I guess that's why it's called high mountain white.

The tips are so fine that initially it's a little scratchy but it'll soften up with use, just like all badgers do.

This brush has flow through like a synthetic! It's very dense and has a big bloom.

Very luxurious! It's my favorite of the Yaqi badger brushes! Let's see what Frank Shaving brings in comparison.

d0GJypCl.jpg

Semogue Boar, Michells Wool Fat, Bengall 15/16", Witch Hazel, Viet Fougere
I cleaned and honed this big old Bengall and shave tested this afternoon.This is a fantastic old blade.It had some noticeable blade width difference from the previous owner being heavy handed when honing,resulting in the toe being narrower than the heel but not a lot.Pic doesn't show real well but I corrected the width and brought the old thing back to shave ready and had an awesome,though slower shave than normal as I haven't used such a big razor before.The audible feedback was instantly noticed,I was very wary of the spike point as well but it still caught me off guard with a small bite close to left ear about half way.
It had a few rust spots that I cleaned up but left some stains and overall the blade and tang were in pretty good condition.This was once a well loved and used razor.Final polish tomorrow and a quick run over the 0.25 micron,a good strop and it's ready to go.

Sunny Sunday Shave, a citrus "in crescendo":

Pre: Shower + face lathering
machine: Weber/UFO
blade : rapira platinun lux
brush: BSB2 Silvertip
soap: MdC Agrumes
splash: APR Suitably attired Australian
EdP: Suitably attired Summer

lZdtBfD.jpg

I was a very nice morning (until rain arrived wile doing some bbq outdoor), and I really enjoy this combination when I use it. From the lemon scent of agrumes, jumping to a more complex, still lemon'ish splash, to a more green but lemon'ish EdP, certainly an "in crescendo" way. It was my first shave with a rapira and it looked a bit rude in the first pass, but made a good performance!!

Always love the Bengall’s and that looks like a prime speciman @pvsampson especially in That size.
I have a 7/8” but round that I absolutely love to shave with, everytime I use it, it is a dream to shave with
Bloody awesome score mate
It is a cracker for sure,but it isn't mine.Cleaned a couple up for a guy that had them around his house for a while.
He did offer for me to keep one for doing the work but I said no as I enjoyed the process and they are a part of his history.
Also get to have a couple of shaves with them and after using this I will be keeping my eyes out for one similar.

It is a cracker for sure,but it isn't mine.Cleaned a couple up for a guy that had them around his house for a while.
He did offer for me to keep one for doing the work but I said no as I enjoyed the process and they are a part of his history.
Also get to have a couple of shaves with them and after using this I will be keeping my eyes out for one similar.

And when he says a while he means laying around the house since the 1890's.

d0GJypCl.jpg

Semogue Boar, Michells Wool Fat, Bengall 15/16", Witch Hazel, Viet Fougere
I cleaned and honed this big old Bengall and shave tested this afternoon.This is a fantastic old blade.It had some noticeable blade width difference from the previous owner being heavy handed when honing,resulting in the toe being narrower than the heel but not a lot.Pic doesn't show real well but I corrected the width and brought the old thing back to shave ready and had an awesome,though slower shave than normal as I haven't used such a big razor before.The audible feedback was instantly noticed,I was very wary of the spike point as well but it still caught me off guard with a small bite close to left ear about half way.
It had a few rust spots that I cleaned up but left some stains and overall the blade and tang were in pretty good condition.This was once a well loved and used razor.Final polish tomorrow and a quick run over the 0.25 micron,a good strop and it's ready to go.

It's hard to tell who in the house owned this one but I'm fairly certain it was the my Great Great Grandfather James Leury

https://moreland.libero.com.au/libh...SN=68&DATA=MHD&TOKEN=R5RoSJN7rD9218&Z=1&SET=1

A very nice shave but not the one I had planned.
Cats - you have to love them or turn them into Ugg Boots. I went to strop my freshly honed blade for tonight only to find my cat had used my paddle strop as a scratching board. I could have used another hanging strop but the moment had passed but not as quickly as the cat leaving the house.

So tonight took a 90 degree turn with the use of my GEM Micromatic Open Comb. Such a stunning razor. 2 passes and all done. The feel of this razor is not unlike a finely honed super full hollow. Very light pressure and an irritation free shave.

Omega Boar with my soap formula.
GEM Micromatic OC
Fresh GEM blade
Finished with Macadamia oil and Lemon myrtle mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.