Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the Mongoose compare to the Brass General?
The Mongoose is a satin finish and much easier to grip - that is my only complaint with the brass General - the handle is very smooth and gets slippery and hard to hold. They both shave pretty much the same - fairly aggressive but not dangerous (not open comb after all!):)

m5ktMTOl.jpg

Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Stirling Grapefruit
Razor: Damaskeene OC
Blade: Gem SS
Have a great weekend​

Hi @Sticky could you give me more details on the Omega boar brush? Size, etc and if you have it model number and a link? :) I like barber style handles.

Steve

The Mongoose is a satin finish and much easier to grip - that is my only complaint with the brass General - the handle is very smooth and gets slippery and hard to hold. They both shave pretty much the same - fairly aggressive but not dangerous (not open comb after all!):)
Thanks! Sounds very agreeable but non essential if similar performance to the General.
Have you seen the new Blacklands SE that takes AC type blades? Looks interesting. I’m on a Blacklands roll........
I’d have to agree about the Generals brass handle but haven’t found it enough of a problem to think of it as a criticism I’d make of it.

Yes indeed gabba, hard trance, psytrance etc I just didn't think this was the right place for it and the fact that I don't shave and dance at the same time ;)

I thought it was an aloof reference to cricket in Brisbane rather than Dutch Gabba... but TIL :)

Hi @Sticky could you give me more details on the Omega boar brush? Size, etc and if you have it model number and a link? :) I like barber style handles.

Steve
Hi Mate, it's a 30mm knot set at 65mm but I'm afraid I bought this one "vintage" (second hand) on ETSY, I don't know how old it is or the number. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
It is a nice brush to use, after much experimenting I think I am becoming a boar fan.

Firstly a correction for yesterday's SOTD post. Measured soap load was 4g not 2g. Apologies.:) Didn't want you think I was skimping.

0FQcEJvh.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pre de Provence No.63
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Blacklands Sabre
Blade: GEM (1)
AS: PAA Sangre de Drago
Off to a good start. I think that's possibly the best result I've had off the first pass of a razor, the subsequent passes were mostly clean up. Ended up with multiple weepers as I was seeing what it took for this razor to achieve BBS. Got to DFS+ as I was running out of face.
As I suggested yesterday, the razor has good weight, balance, dexterity, easy to assemble and clean and it's efficient and intuitive to use.
There are two base plates offered with the Sabre. I purchased the more aggressive of the two (0.9mm gap). The plate is distinguished by two dots on the base plate. See photo in acquisition thread. I think this was the correct level of aggression for me as efficiency was satisfying.
I'm assuming with further use I'll maintain the efficiency without the face removal. Would it replace the Blackbird (I've already established I need that :LOL:)? For me, no, they each are a different experience. I'm confident the Sabre will become a favourite amongst my GEM type razors as the performance is at least on par with the vintage GEMs.
No.63 was a compulsory acquisition but I don't think I'll replace it when I get through it. Lathered up OK but on the foamy side, settled on the face OK and shaved OK, but not a 'must have' for me.

Great looking set up. The modern GEM style looks very impressive. Does it compare closely to any particular vintage GEM model. The head looks a bit like the Bullet tip or one of the "modern vintage 70's" models such as the contour.

Steve

Great looking set up. The modern GEM style looks very impressive. Does it compare closely to any particular vintage GEM model. The head looks a bit like the Bullet tip or one of the "modern vintage 70's" models such as the contour.

Steve
I’ve only got the Micromatic and 1912’s to compare to but I’d say similar efficiency to to the Micromatic but smoother and more manoeuvrable than 1912. But what I do find annoying on the vintage GEM razors is the difficulty to clean.

Saw him spin in 1992/93 in a 'disused warehouse' in Alexandria and would not have used the quotes back then ei (stones throw from Sydney) and tbh it's not a track I would have suspected in a million years would appear in a sotd on this forum.

That picture of the 12" in the youtube clip is a re-repressing too - the original released on Transmat and has a grey and silver label. I have a fair few hundred such records from back in the day /end vinyl trainspotting.

They were great times. I got fed up of trying to find one of Joey at the decks and just picked any link. I was hoping gabba32 was going to liven things up but I’m now thinking gabba is reference to something else in his case.

Yes indeed gabba, hard trance, psytrance etc I just didn't think this was the right place for it and the fact that I don't shave and dance at the same time ;)

Clearly back in the day you missed @Monsta_AU or was this last week, explains his absence :whistle:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-23631-1389701160-5.gif

And then
anigif_enhanced-buzz-22142-1389701059-1.gif

@UKSteve yeah I smell farking beaut mate!

Firstly a correction for yesterday's SOTD post. Measured soap load was 4g not 2g. Apologies.:) Didn't want you think I was skimping.

0FQcEJvh.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: Pre de Provence No.63
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Blacklands Sabre
Blade: GEM (1)
AS: PAA Sangre de Drago
Off to a good start. I think that's possibly the best result I've had off the first pass of a razor, the subsequent passes were mostly clean up. Ended up with multiple weepers as I was seeing what it took for this razor to achieve BBS. Got to DFS+ as I was running out of face.
As I suggested yesterday, the razor has good weight, balance, dexterity, easy to assemble and clean and it's efficient and intuitive to use.
There are two base plates offered with the Sabre. I purchased the more aggressive of the two (0.9mm gap). The plate is distinguished by two dots on the base plate. See photo in acquisition thread. I think this was the correct level of aggression for me as efficiency was satisfying.
I'm assuming with further use I'll maintain the efficiency without the face removal. Would it replace the Blackbird (I've already established I need that :LOL:)? For me, no, they each are a different experience. I'm confident the Sabre will become a favourite amongst my GEM type razors as the performance is at least on par with the vintage GEMs.
No.63 was a compulsory acquisition but I don't think I'll replace it when I get through it. Lathered up OK but on the foamy side, settled on the face OK and shaved OK, but not a 'must have' for me.

"Running out of face" hahaha
Now that's an aggressive razor!

Give the 63 a few more uses. It lathers up very creamy for me and it's one of those veggie soaps that don't make me miss tallow at all. I loved both the scents so much,I bought a back-up of each. Beyond quad milled, they'll last my lifetime I would think.

Yaqi mellon gunmetal w/Polsilver
Yaqi Silvertip 24mm
Washpool Farm - bergamot/cedar/patchouli
Anherb balm

@SpeedyPC
The Yaqi silvertip is awesome! It's packed very dense (and I'm also fairly sure it's bigger than a 24mm judging from the bloom).

I loaded a lot of soap and it was a fantastic experience! Very dense but very soft and luxurious with good splay.

I like the feeling better than the two band but that's not at all to say this is a "better" knot, just less scrub.

I'm very impressed with the two badger brushes. They are basically giving wholesale prices direct to the consumer!!

I'll use the high mountain white tomorrow. I already know it'll be something special just from the couple of test lathers!

The Yaqi razor is quite mild and medium efficiency. It shaves better than an DE89 due to the open comb. I'd say close to the Rockwell on plate 2 (but lacking the smoothness of the Rockwell of course).

20180825_095756_01.jpg

"Running out of face" hahaha
Now that's an aggressive razor!

Give the 63 a few more uses. It lathers up very creamy for me and it's one of those veggie soaps that don't make me miss tallow at all. I loved both the scents so much,I bought a back-up of each. Beyond quad milled, they'll last my lifetime I would think.

Decidedly less aggressive then the Asylum Rx and the Blackbird. I was going to give my face a day off after using the Blackbird yesterday but could not wait to use the Sabre, so I was starting on the lean side.:)
Yes, I was interested in your comparison. Are you lathering on the puck? I rubbed the puck onto the base of the shaving bowl and there was sufficient soap to bowl lather. I like the scent but not drawn to it, so it will be an occasional user, but I will go looking for that creamy lather.

Yaqi mellon gunmetal w/Polsilver
Yaqi Silvertip 24mm
Washpool Farm - bergamot/cedar/patchouli
Anherb balm

@SpeedyPC
The Yaqi silvertip is awesome! It's packed very dense (and I'm also fairly sure it's bigger than a 24mm judging from the bloom).

I loaded a lot of soap and it was a fantastic experience! Very dense but very soft and luxurious with good splay.

I like the feeling better than the two band but that's not at all to say this is a "better" knot, just less scrub.

I'm very impressed with the two badger brushes. They are basically giving wholesale prices direct to the consumer!!

I'll use the high mountain white tomorrow. I already know it'll be something special just from the couple of test lathers!

The Yaqi razor is quite mild and medium efficiency. It shaves better than an DE89 due to the open comb. I'd say close to the Rockwell on plate 2 (but lacking the smoothness of the Rockwell of course).

20180825_095756_01.jpg
That bloom looks bloody HUGE and WIDE :wideyed:

Skye Fall Saturday....

0oN3F4U.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Shave Oil....
Razor: Karve 'D' plate....
Blade: Personna Red....
Brush: Tony Forsyth Custom Imperial Red....
Soap: APR Skye Fall....

Have a sexy night Gents....

Date: 25 August 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Horn 30/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Promises
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- British Ever Ready Streamline SE / GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #4
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic / Lucky Tiger Face Moisturizer
Fragrance:- Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male

Decidedly less aggressive then the Asylum Rx and the Blackbird. I was going to give my face a day off after using the Blackbird yesterday but could not wait to use the Sabre, so I was starting on the lean side.:)
Yes, I was interested in your comparison. Are you lathering on the puck? I rubbed the puck onto the base of the shaving bowl and there was sufficient soap to bowl lather. I like the scent but not drawn to it, so it will be an occasional user, but I will go looking for that creamy lather.

The scent is a massive factor with the 63 for me. I find it intoxicating.

I load on the puck (semi-lather) and then face lather. With both the PdP soaps, I've had nothing but creamy lather, except once when I added too much water to the silvertip (I'm in the habit of using synthetics, where a lot more water must be added to create the lather).

That bloom looks bloody HUGE and WIDE :wideyed:

Yeah, it's a big bloom. I think this would be closer to a 26mm than the started 24mm.

Even the 24mm two band has a huge bloom.

I'm looking forward to my Frank Shaving brushes (2 badger and 2 synthetic) to see how they compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.