Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTN
There were some other bits involved but we just have a special relationship going that involves just me and well see below :)
ZwnEWjw.jpg

This was a very small sample left over from the pass around todras did back in April. See one of my posts here regarding the SMG Pasion.
I enjoyed the SMG Pasion this morning but wasn't that taken with it back in April. It shaved well with the Tech this morning but I did notice some drying of the skin as per my April experience.
What horse brush did you have and why did you part with it? I'm really liking the American style and also the Vie-Long 4312 Black Horse. @bald as put me onto the 4312. Very inexpensive and I thought the high loft would make it too floppy but I really enjoy that brush.

Was the Vie-long 12705 and one of my first brushes two years ago. Was stupid and young so after a few attempts at it I passed it along to my brother. He likes it alot (Not loves).
Now wanting to go back to horse as boar bored and dislike badger's water & soap hog issue and too friggin soft. Bunch of pansies, Aloe Vera tissue snot huggers.

Any other horse brushes you recommend? Not into Mr floppy.

Edit: Oh, just reread that, still stands.

ecg1tv7.jpg

Valobra
Paladin
BBS-1
Feather
SV Mirto de Sardegna
Zoolologist Dragonfly

Looks good as always like my satchel this morning :D(y)
Now we have your attention.
Can you explain Zoologist Dragonfly please? Main note is rice, so like smelling a bag of rice or more cooked rice, wet rice or we aren't close here thing?
Fascinated on such a strange note profile.
For others who like notes in a scent.

Was the Vie-long 12705 and one of my first brushes two years ago. Was stupid and young so after a few attempts at it I passed it along to my brother. He likes it alot (Not loves).
Now wanting to go back to horse as boar bored and dislike badger's water & soap hog issue and too friggin soft. Bunch of pansies, Aloe Vera tissue snot huggers.

Any other horse brushes you recommend? Not into Mr floppy.

Edit: Oh, just reread that, still stands.
That Vie-Long 12705 looks good. Probably the american style barber would be too small a knot for you. The only other horse brush I've got is the Epsilon 26mm but I find it a bit dense and probably wouldn't pass your soap hog criteria. I've got the Vie-Long horse/badger 14080 which I really like. Not a soap hog, not too floppy and good flow through. So I'd say go the 12705 or the 14080.

Last edited:
That Vie-Long 12705 looks good. Probably the american style barber would be too small a knot for you. The only other horse brush I've got is the Epsilon 26mm but I find it a bit dense and probably wouldn't pass your soap hog criteria. I've got the Vie-Long horse/badger 14080 which I really like. Not a soap hog, not too floppy and good flow through. So I'd say go the 12705 or the 14080.
Thank you. Very thoughtful and will look into these or back into the one I lost it seems.

Eplison looks good and so does the Zenith 26mm but worried on density.

Since using synthetics and being amazed at their efficiency of making lather and releasing it. I now only use natural hairs when I have the time to enjoy them. Which increases their pleasure.

Last edited:
Pre: Warm water, Crew oil
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Red Lead

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Timber Wolf synthetic
Soap: Captains Choice Bay Rum
Razor: Rockwell 6s (4)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)

So glad to be back in the living after yesterday’s outage! I almost resorted to tweeting the PM to get a message to our own @Mark1966 :ROFLMAO:
Great job @Monsta_AU on your efforts to restore equilibrium in the universe! ;)
Finished the soap sample today, much earlier than originally thought but it’s not a soap I’d consider buying. Not a fan of grains of “something” in the lather.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Mokka Express
Soap: Wholly Kaw - Chypre Rose Concerto
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: A&E Grecian Horse AS splash

I forgot how much i love the smell of the WK Rose soap and how strong it is. Tried something new with adding the Grecian Horse to it and i can smell both on me and to myself they work great. Also first feather use at 4th shave. I used to throw my blades away by use 3 thinking that they were no longer sharp, but reckon the technique has improved as the blade still feels ok, gonna give it another go tomorrow and see how we go there.

overall awesome shave today and loving the smells

45588197032_8161c6c402_c.jpg

GjlDU9Il.jpg

Pre: Pb Pre Shave Emulsion
Soap: APR Alfredus Choice
Brush: Epsilon Horse
Razor: Colonial General
Blade: Kai Captain Titan (3)
AS: APR Alfredus Choice
Hehey! The General is back to itself thanks to @SpeedyPC . Toothpaste had it feeling and smelling back to what it used to. Another fine shave from the General supported by some other fine products of course.(y)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Mokka Express
Soap: Wholly Kaw - Chypre Rose Concerto
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Feather (4)
Post-shave: A&E Grecian Horse AS splash

I forgot how much i love the smell of the WK Rose soap and how strong it is. Tried something new with adding the Grecian Horse to it and i can smell both on me and to myself they work great. Also first feather use at 4th shave. I used to throw my blades away by use 3 thinking that they were no longer sharp, but reckon the technique has improved as the blade still feels ok, gonna give it another go tomorrow and see how we go there.

overall awesome shave today and loving the smells

45588197032_8161c6c402_c.jpg

I usually get 5 to 6 decent shaves out of a Feather - bear in mind that I usually do two passes max, and the last couple of shaves are often just one pass plus touch up. I imagine if you're doing three passes every time 3/4 shaves probably is the limit

Status
Not open for further replies.