Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually meant how do you rate the soap? I can see how my post was a bit misleading.

Yeah, wondered if I was wandering off down the wrong path. :LOL:
I love the Meissner Tremonia. I'd happily buy another except I've got too many soaps. I can only speak for the Moroccan Rhassoul. It's contains clay so that's a plus for me. I love the scent. The soap is on the hard side but still soft enough to scrape some out and paste in bowl to bowl lather. It offers good protection as attested by the Asylum shave this morning, the aggressive razor needs a good soap with protection and cushion.
The ingredients look good and the company seems to pride itself on quality natural ingredients. I give it (y)(y)(y)
@lerenau also has the Moroccan Rhassoul and I believe he is a fan as well.

Soap is amazing. So smooth. However I was not to happy with the blade, that was the second shave with that blade and it felt like it went from not cutting to scratchy.

It was a bit muggy tonight for the balm as well.

The scent of the soap was amazing. That was my first try of anything with an Oud scent. Loved it.

I like the look of that lather. Must be that donkey milk is it @SpeedyPC ?

How did you find the Meissner? I was looking for the Scottish scented one for a while but never found one
I have a sample of "Strong and Scottish" in my drawer. Nothing can stop that scent. It penetrates TWO ziplock bags and overpowers everything else in my bathroom... Seriously.

I have a sample of "Strong and Scottish" in my drawer. Nothing can stop that scent. It penetrates TWO ziplock bags and overpowers everything else in my bathroom... Seriously.
Hahaha, I can confirm this. I gave this to @lerenau (sorry, I see it didn't drown during the boating meet) as it was way too strong and only came in one ziplock bag.
I spoke to a Scottish friend and he thinks it's meant to be peaty whisky. To me it's just smoke, like someone turned an ashtray into a soap.
The sample was from Connaught.

dxfKW35l.jpg

Antica Barbieria Colla Soap
Antica Barbieria Colla Boar
King Pelican 5000
Xerjoff Cavour 1

Rich, warm fruity gourmand. Succulent peaches, rose, caramel and chocolate. Woods and musky vanilla anchor.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' (5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless blade (2)
Brush: Shavemac DO1 Americana shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert Shave Soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert Aftershave
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert EDP

Miss Piggy goes NUTS for APR products I believe. It actually IS easy being green -

Kermit_shaves.jpg

But do you like the Strong and Scottish? And have you tried any other of the Meissner Tremonia soaps?
I have bought refills of "Exotic Elemi" and "Dark Lines" as well.
But I have not tried them nor "Strong and Scottish" yet due to my addiction to some other samples I have. :whistle:

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' (5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless blade (2)
Brush: Shavemac DO1 Americana shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert Shave Soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert Aftershave
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Coeur de Vert EDP

Miss Piggy goes NUTS for APR products I believe. It actually IS easy being green -

Kermit_shaves.jpg

Oh, I should also have said thanks to @todras for making my tie choice easy today -

Is that a new SV soap @todras ? What is the scent profile like on the Mirto di Sardegna ? I assume the lather is as per usual top notch SV?;)

I was going to mention this but I post my SOTD's at work so often I don't get the time.

Yes it's a new one, soap-wise its formula 4.3 which is just fantastic being a slightly softer soap than the previous releases and I found the lather to be of the usual excellent quality. The scent is of the usual high quality too, it features black myrtle (somewhat like black currant but with citrus tones)/citrus top notes with lavender and musk and is best described as an aromatic citrus. It is a beautiful fragrance construction as is normal with SV, I really dig it due to the aromatic accords.

As with a majority of the soaps released in the EU/US for the last 3 months (Eufros Zanzibar, Cronos, etc) these are cool weather fragrances, and most are quite hopeless to use in Summer. However much like 'Stella Alpina' from SV, this works well in spring/summer/autumn (especially in Australia) and is part of SV's typical contrast releases - a light floral/citrus contruction for the winter months with a substantive base from Italy where a little relief from the bitter cold is always welcomed.

I also notice some revision of the balm, it's a little clearer and more consistent but with the same catalog of beneficial skin compounds and good performance. I really like both the soap and the balm here, and I can see it getting a lot of use

I was going to mention this but I post my SOTD's at work so often I don't get the time.

Yes it's a new one, soap-wise its formula 4.3 which is just fantastic being a slightly softer soap than the previous releases and I found the lather to be of the usual excellent quality. The scent is of the usual high quality too, it features black myrtle (somewhat like black currant but with citrus tones)/citrus top notes with lavender and musk and is best described as an aromatic citrus. It is a beautiful fragrance construction as is normal with SV, I really dig it due to the aromatic accords.

As with a majority of the soaps released in the EU/US for the last 3 months (Eufros Zanzibar, Cronos, etc) these are cool weather fragrances, and most are quite hopeless to use in Summer. However much like 'Stella Alpina' from SV, this works well in spring/summer/autumn (especially in Australia) and is part of SV's typical contrast releases - a light floral/citrus contruction for the winter months with a substantive base from Italy where a little relief from the bitter cold is always welcomed.

I also notice some revision of the balm, it's a little clearer and more consistent but with the same catalog of beneficial skin compounds and good performance. I really like both the soap and the balm here, and I can see it getting a lot of use
Thanks Dan - sounds very nice - hopefully Con will be getting some in stock some time.:whistle:

Date: 13 February 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Horn 30/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Bay Rum 5x
Razor:- Rockwell 6C (R5)
Blade:- Gillette Nacet #5
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

One blade/One Razor/One soap in February - Shave #12
Brush: RR 400
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Derby
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: PAA Travel Scuttle
Pre: Shower + Barber Shoppe Face Wash
Soap: RR xXx

A quick shave #12 from yesterday as I was heading to Sydney for the day. No real changes regarding the Derby as it's basically on its last days :hungover: Shower shaving has helped but not by much unfortunately :(

Status
Not open for further replies.