Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
4d19d4bf18.png

Brush: Muhle Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Tallow + Steel Boreal
Blade: Sears vintage (3)
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky S4

A mild razor for me maybe I need a V1 Rocca @alfredus :cyclops: Soap is a blast and thirsty. Very creamy, rich and slick lather. Scent is all encompassing from forests, wood and strangely for me a hint of orange/citrus that lingers.
Toner initially tightens the skin them relaxes about half and hour. Non greasy yet still moisturizing so maybe a summer only aftershave. Great ingredients and skin feels lovely.

February challenge: Shave #6 (Friday)

Razor: SS General
Blade: Schick P30 (6)
Brush: Maseto Beehive
Soap: Mike's Lime

2 pass XTG.... seeing some success with sticking to the one soap, really noticing the cavity deepening and volume decreasing, think I'll just keep thrashing until it's finished ~ maybe end of March.

One blade/One Razor/One soap in February - Shave #17
Brush: RR 400
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R4)
Blade: Derby
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine Lathering Bowl
Pre: PAA Cube
Soap: RR xXx

A quick 3 pass shave for #17 of 28. Good night and happy shaves! #blade_of_glory

Saturday, relaxing shave...
I had a sample of wolfpack "Ice Pack" around for months, so I decided to give it a try...
Pre: nothing special, hot shower
razor: merggard 42c
blade: feather
soap: Wolfpack "Ice Pack"
splash: APR: Suitably attired Summer

It took me three passes to feel menthol effect on my skin, so it is more like a freshy, rather than icy soap. I think It worked better than "Italian orchard" (they are very easy to lather, and nice lather btw), but this soaps have something on their composition that dries my skin. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by the splash, which, in my opinion, has more menthol shock than the soap :)

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' (5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless blade (6)
Brush: Shavemac DO1 Americana shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Suitably Attired Australian Shave Soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Suitably Attired Australian Aftershave

Have a great Sunday guys

bjVU5Qr.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Soap by Luna - Vetiver (sample compliments of @FluffyGroodle )
Brush: Semogue 1800
Razor: Henckels 472
AS: Pb The Black Spruce
Developing a love/hate relationship with this blade. I honed it again last night as previous shaves have only been average. Not totally satisfied with the way it honed but definitely shaved better this morning but not as good as expected given the effort that went into it. I'm wondering if I need to get ruthless with the Atoma 1200# and get into some fresh steel past the little bit of pitting on the blade bevel.
Had a good run with Luna's soap this morning. Lathers very quickly and doesn't keep asking for water like other soaps.

u6bpGGD.jpg

Mugo Glyce
Paladin Lotus
WolfmanG/UFO
Feather
Grooming Dept. Magnolia
Floïd Metolado Vigoroso

I picked up the bottle of Floid this morning as it's so bloody humid. I thought to myself there is a variant that really describes my personality :oldman:

vL5AOyEl.jpg

RWvUMhxl.jpg

Australian Private Reserve - Ozymandias
Antica Barbieria Colla Boar
Symmetrical Pottery Bacon Bowl
Delta Echo Cubano Fatboy - Nacet
Australian Private Reserve Ozymandias AS
Australian Private Reserve Ozymandias EDP

Thoughts or your lips still sealed on that camel?

Just so everyone knows, Steve is free to comment whenever and however he likes but he did mention he would use Ozymandias for 1 week before commenting which is what I do myself when evaluating a new product.

I have also sent testers to 3 other US artisans, and 4 other highly experienced shavers/reviewers for personal feedback, as they run companies themselves their feedback is critical for me however I don't expect them to endorse a competitor's product in public - some may however.

If its a basic fragrance it is what it is out of the bottle, with complex frags you really need at least a week of repeated use to make an honest and informed call on them....fingers crossed eh :D

I will be sending @UKSteve the Fenchurch (Tobacco, Leather, Tuberose, Whiskey, etc) in the next week or two for testing, I am sending both the Winter releases to Steve as trying to test winter fragrances in Australian summer weather is just beyond pointless. I also need testers with extensive experience of up market fragrances as the two Winter AP Reserve releases are very complex and Steve's perfume collection is self evidently grand and extensive. If you have experienced AdP Oud then Ozymandias is in a similar but not identical family.

I had to run the aircon on high to 15C to formulate, age and test both fragrances due to the compounds in the design and also as I need to know how they behave and wear in the cold weather as that's the season they are designed for. Wearing a winter fragrance (Sandalwood, oudh, Tobacco etc) in hot weather is just so wrong, the fragrance is so very different and just outright pungent - it does not work, at all.

I will bring a couple of the Winter tester EDP's and possibly the P&C exclusive fragrance to next month's Sydney meetup :)

Last edited:
brush:maggard synth
soap: cella
razor: colonial general
blade: feather pro guard(5)
5th shave on this blade and the rough edges are starting to come off it now for the first decent shave ive got from it without excess irritation on my face.off to mow the lawns now.

Just so everyone knows, Steve is free to comment whenever and however he likes but he did mention he would use Ozymandias for 1 week before commenting which is what I do myself when evaluating a new product.

I have also sent testers to 3 other US artisans, and 4 other highly experienced shavers/reviewers for personal feedback, as they run companies themselves their feedback is critical for me however I don't expect them to endorse a competitor's product in public - some may however.

If its a basic fragrance it is what it is out of the bottle, with complex frags you really need at least a week of repeated use to make an honest and informed call on them....fingers crossed eh :D

I will be sending @UKSteve the Fenchurch (Tobacco, Leather, Tuberose, Whiskey, etc) in the next week or two for testing, I am sending both the Winter releases to Steve as trying to test winter fragrances in Australian summer weather is just beyond pointless. I also need testers with extensive experience of up market fragrances as the two Winter AP Reserve releases are very complex and Steve's perfume collection is self evidently grand and extensive. If you have experienced AdP Oud then Ozymandias is in a similar but not identical family.

I had to run the aircon on high to 15C to formulate, age and test both fragrances due to the compounds in the design and also as I need to know how they behave and wear in the cold weather as that's the season they are designed for. Wearing a winter fragrance (Sandalwood, oudh, Tobacco etc) in hot weather is just so wrong, the fragrance is so very different and just outright pungent - it does not work, at all.

I will bring a couple of the Winter tester EDP's and possibly the P&C exclusive fragrance to next month's Sydney meetup :)
You are right no point testing a winter fragrance in summer. Though locally I'd vote @Snooze as a Sydney tester because of his tastes.
Am very interested to hear @UKSteve thoughts when he is ready.. hence the my comment :sneaky:
Guess I need to stray into Re..it territory to read the other's feedback :(

Though locally I'd vote @Snooze as a Sydney tester because of his tastes.

He is a good friend and one of my Summer/Spring testers along with a few other close friends. It's just down to weather man, the Winter range gets tested by internationals in the Northern Hemisphere as they get a temperature range of -10 to 17c :)

Am very interested to hear @UKSteve thoughts when he is ready.. hence the my comment :sneaky:
Guess I need to stray into Re..it territory to read the other's feedback

The best thing about the result is that as you are on Sabbatical, you will be unable to buy any of them until 2019 :LOL:

Also I thought this was quite funny....
I will bring a couple of the Winter tester EDP's and possibly the P&C exclusive fragrance to next month's Sydney meetup

I can't wait to smell them in a Sydney Autumn when its most likely going to still be 29C and 80% humidity :D

You are right no point testing a winter fragrance in summer. Though locally I'd vote @Snooze as a Sydney tester because of his tastes.
Guess I need to stray into Re..it territory to read the other's feedback :(
Thanks @RustyBlade - the weather is the thing - I tried sandalwood (Fine Santal Absolute) the other day even though it was 29 degrees outside and it just wasn't a good fit. Oud is even worse in hot humid conditions. can't wait for the cooler weather to bring out those fantastic winter fragrances :)

I tried sandalwood (Fine Santal Absolute) the other day even though it was 29 degrees outside and it just wasn't a good fit. Oud is even worse in hot humid conditions.

Oudh, Sandalwood, Raucous Animal Musks, Bourbon Vanilla, Aged White Rum and Cherry is much less of a good fit as my wife Amy would be the first to tell you, especially when used in the 29-34C temperature range :bag:

Wouldn’t be fair on me or the perfume. Don’t forget I’m not a seasoned reviewer either, I’m not vain enough to be a blogger/vlogger. This will be me using my own words to describe it as an end user who’s using it for a week in the environment it’s been designed/composed for. Dan has others doing the professional appraisal.

Tell you what @RustyBlade, I’ll leave you with 3 things I wrote on one particular post-it during the first wear. (Not the only one) There’s a few ways I’ll approach this. A test strip I’ll periodically go back to. Sit down and just solely concentrate on it. Wear it and see what pops in my head.

Self-effacing/recessive
Anchoring and yet somewhat elevating
Creamy/enriching/fungus? (Not fungus, fool)

That will mean absolutely nothing to you, only me ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.