Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole forum is a front for something more sinister right?:censored:
I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about...

Pst! Tell Nikita: "When the vulture flies sideways, the moon has hair on its upper lip"

Soap and splash is my favourite combo. I have never tried the Fern splash or the GL soap so I dunno if the end results would be the same there but why mess with a good thing! Can anyone recommend a fragrance that would pair with this?

General Ledger EDP or Houbigant Fougère Royale

fxbzMuzl.jpg

No shave yesterday and first time I have done that since end of January.Bengall mowed that growth down with ease and comfort,took my time and only one pass for a decent smooth result.Getting a better result every time with this straight versus the Fili which can be a bit grabby,especially around my chin.Then again I have a chin bigger than Witchy Poo so getting any sharp blade to perform whilst navigating it's various and grand curves is a feat in itself worthy of some,albeit little,celebration.
Going to attempt to hone the Fili with a bit more focus this weekend to see if I can improve it's edge and I have some half micron lapping film that I will give a go.It shaves ok but I think it could be a lot better,

I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about...

Pst! Tell Nikita: "When the vulture flies sideways, the moon has hair on its upper lip"
Well... for a small forum it's kinda interesting how much geography we cover in a year, in state, interstate and international (quite a network). And there's that P&C 'cell' in Canberra who's meetings have been held in the middle of a lake (happens to be the 'cell' I've aligned to just haven't got to a 'meeting' yet). The distribution network (aka pif, BST) is pretty impressive as well. Of course respects to 'the big kahuna'.........
....if I disappear Nikita sends her love.......

Date: 16 March 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto Extra Density 2 Band Finest Badger Black 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ The Black Pearl 2x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Blade:- GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #2
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Well... for a small forum it's kinda interesting how much geography we cover in a year, in state, interstate and international (quite a network). And there's that P&C 'cell' in Canberra who's meetings have been held in the middle of a lake (happens to be the 'cell' I've aligned to just haven't got to a 'meeting' yet). The distribution network (aka pif, BST) is pretty impressive as well. Of course respects to 'the big kahuna'.........
....if I disappear Nikita sends her love.......
LOL. I totally knew what you were talking about. But I was trying to be 'covert'... Geeeeez. Way to blow my cover, Agent @Pbgoose. ;)

You are, of course, always welcome at future intelligence exchanges aka ''Coffee at Tilley's".
:D

We conduct our most sensitive rendez-vous in international waters, aka "Lake Burley-Griffin".

LUrDhLy.jpg
]

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Parker Variant on 2.0 kindly loaned by @Mark1966
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

New brush and only second shave with the Variant, so lots of new experiences.

The brush is a classical "I have to get it out of my system" buy. I use a Muhle XL as a travel brush and just wondered, if the Chubby would be superior. Let me be clear, that I am not a fan of synthetics nor a fan of Chubby style handles - they just feel weird in my hands...so I really didn't want to like the brush. Having said that, it did whip up some stellar Mike's lather in no time and the face feel was not too soulless. It has a fantastic flow through and in contrast to its badger brethren releases tons of lather with ease.

Will it replace my badger farm? Definitely not, as I mentioned it feels just too soulless on the face. Is it superior to the Muhle XL? Well I will give it a good try out on my next trip at the end of the month...until then I will go back to badger happiness though.

Back to the Variant and I went through notes etc to see how it would compare to other razors. It seems like I have grown up a bit. In former times after a good shave with a new razor I would either increase the blade gap (on an adjustable), try a more aggressive blade or on stupid days both :D

Well today I did the opposite and after a really nice shave on 2.5 I tried the razor on 2. This time I zipped over my face in no time and although the razor was still loud and I felt some blade, I knew it would be tame - and so it was.

The result was a nice shave with zero issues, but maybe not as close I prefer. I had to clean up a bit at the end. Maybe next time I will go more aggressive after all...

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

Last edited:
LUrDhLy.jpg
]

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Parker Variant on 2.0 kindly loaned by @Mark1966
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

New brush and only second shave with the Variant, so lots of new experiences.

The brush is a classical "I have to get it out of my system" buy. I use a Muhle XL as a travel brush and just wondered, if the Chubby would be superior. Let me be clear, that I am not a fan of synthetics nor a fan of Chubby style handles - they just feel weird in my hands...so I really didn't want to like the brush. Having said that, it did whip up some stellar Mike's lather in no time and the face feel was not too soulless. It has a fantastic flow through and in contrast to its badger brethren releases tons of lather with ease.

Will it replace my badger farm? Definitely not, as I mentioned it feels just too soulless on the face. Is it superior to the Muhle XL? Well I will give it a good try out on my next trip at the end of the month...until then I will go back to badger happiness though.

Back to the Variant and I went through notes etc to see how it would compare to other razors. It seems like I have grown up a bit. In former times after a good shave with a new razor I would either increase the blade gap (on an adjustable), try a more aggressive blade or on stupid days both :D

Well today I did the opposite and after a really nice shave on 2.5 I tried the razor on 2. This time I zipped over my face in no time and although the razor was still loud and I felt some blade, I knew it would be tame - and so it was.

The result was a nice shave with zero issues, but maybe not as close I prefer. I had to clean up a bit at the end. Maybe next time I will go more aggressive after all...

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)
Maybe I'm maturing after a year of wet shaving as I too after I reached 3 on the Variant dialed it back to 2. And still very efficient for me. Usually I'd rack it up to the top before I scaled back.

Interesting you mention that synthetics are soul less. I get what you mean.
There is definitely a difference that is felt than see.

My first SOTD post for a time (you may see the last week or so in the othe rpost of the raffle):

PRe: Myrsol emulsion
Razor: Seygus open
blade: Astra green #2
brush: BSB2 silvertip
soap: La toja Stick
7nNSQwB.jpg

Good shave, not in my preferences right now, but I wanted to make it as Spanish as I could. Actually, from first sight, only blade is not spanish, but nowadays, La Toja is being manufactured in Poland, so not longer a truly spanish product. i should have used any other spanish soaps I got, but I fancied to use one of the classic, long lived, (ex)spanish soaps....

Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
Blade: EOM Sensor Excel twin blade cart
Brush: Muhle Synthetic Travel Brush
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Windsor shave stick
Aftershave: APR Coeur de Vert sample

Ballarat, the jewel of Central Victoria (?). Oh I wish I had time for the antique shops but alas no. The good news though is that I'm home for a decent shave tomorrow morning.

Of course that is unless someone broke into my house and stole all of my shaving gear while I've been away and the insurance company will only cover $450. If this is the last SOTD I post you know why guys ...

[Nightmares? Deeply scarring trauma? Nah, @Dustin L - it is fine ;)]

It didn't release this year, there is one if you want it but it has the generic colour AP Reserve Stickering.

Oh man I do, but I am way over my pocket money allowance for the month.

Is this type of fougere scent good to wear for all weather, or a seasonal thing? I am thinking it's ok all round, maybe not a super hot day?

GMjUE8Wl.jpg

Soap: Pb Grapefruit (Mentholated)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Brucke 6/8"
Put the Brucke on the stones last night. I used tape which I don't normally do but it had been honed previously w/ tape and there's very little hone wear. Under the scope I wasn't overly impressed as some of the bevel was fairly thin. Next hone I'll reset bevel without tape. Having said that I was very happy with this mornings shave. It's a very nice blade to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.