Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Discussion started by Mark1966, Dec 31, 2017.

1. pvsampson

pvsampson Member

[​IMG]

Proraso, Semogue, Filarmonica Stainless 13, Witch Hazel, Nivea, Old Spice Musk

Enjoyable two pass shave today.No sneaky ear nicks,under nose cuts,inattentive throat slices or those "how the f*ck did that happen" little weepers that appear from nowhere.Just a steady,smooth comfortable effort.I may not have a large variety of soaps and brushes and razors and scents and other stuff to use,but what I do have does the job.Nicely at times.

2. alfredus

alfredus organises many group buys State Convenor - SA Group Buy Caporegime Charity Auction Team

[​IMG]

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
    Razor: Parker Variant on 2.5
    Blade: Ladas (1)
    Brush: Doug Korn D7V
    Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
    Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

First shave with the Variant today and I wanted to thank again @Mark1966 for this great pass around (y)(y)(y)

The Merkur Progress was my first razor and I used to get lovely shaves with it. My favourite setting was 2.5 and while I can't remember how it exactly shaved, I remember two things: it was very head heavy and the handle was too short/small/light.

Surprisingly, the Variant is also head heavy - while the handle is rather long and heavy. In any case, I played around with the setting while doing short strokes on my cheeks and settled here also on 2.5. On 5 the razor has A LOT of blade feel - not sure if it is actually that aggressive, but it feels very aggressive. Even on 2, there is some blade feel and add to that that the razor is very loud, I was a bit worried.

To make sure, there would be no other issues I whipped up some fantastic Stirling lather and loaded a trusted Ladas blade.

Four passes later and I was very impressed. Again the razor feels and sounds aggressive, but at this setting the angle of attack was quiet narrow indicating, that the setting is actually mild. The result was a very nice and close shave - no blood and not irritations - so a great first experience.

I hope you all have a wicked Wednesday (y)

3. Mark1966

Mark1966 Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' Staff Member Site Moderator Grand Society 2016 Sabbatical Fail 2018 Charity Auction Winner

Great review mate!

Razor Burn and alfredus like this.
  4. Razor Burn

Razor Burn Member Grand Society Da Menth Heads

I love me some RR soap and the other gear ain't too bad either. A shame about the postage :shame: Thanks @lerenau (y)

lerenau likes this.
  5. Razor Burn

Razor Burn Member Grand Society Da Menth Heads

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
    Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
    Blade: Astra (5)
    Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine Lather bowl
    Pre: Shower / PAA CaD pres shave soap
    Soap: PAA CaD
    Post: Alum / Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Vaseline Aloe Fresh lotion

Not as efficient as my last shave due to the blade tugging a bit at the skin but still achieved a DFS with 3 smooth passes. The CaD was my first artisan soap purchase and I really should use it more often as I love the milder scent profile and the slick lather it produces. Overall a pleasant shaving experience and looking forward to pushing the Bronze SB with different blade combinations. Happy shaves!

FluffyGroodle, Errol, Snooze and 12 others like this.
  6. Volare

Volare Member

14 March 2018
    [​IMG]

Maggard V3A MR11 / Lord Classic SS
    Maggard 22mm B&W Synthetic
    Dapper Dragon Ice Wyrm
    Nivea Protect & Care 2 Phase AS​

I don't see Dapper Dragon mentioned often these days and not sure why, but this soap provided a platform for a wonderful mid-week shave. I guess there's just way too many good soaps to chose from these days. The scent was very refreshing, with a tiny bit of cooling provided by the Peppermint EO. The Maggard V3A is on the aggressive side, but surprisingly, I had a weeper-free shave the first time I had used it. IMO, it provides much smoother shaves than the V3. You need to focus a little, so it may not be a daily driver for some, but its still very capable of providing great shaves.

Have a terrific Thursday everyone !!​

7. Scotty

Scotty Member 2018 Sabbatical

Razor: Bronze Timeless
    Blade: Astra (3)
    Soap: Mikes Lime
    Brush: Maseto Beehive

3 pass tonight and received a lovely BBS! A couple of weepers on the lower neck but worth it... Will try polailvers in the Timeless for the first time next shave to see how they go!

8. TomG

TomG Member

[​IMG]

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
    Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
    Soap: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
    Razor: Feather AS-D2
    Blade: Vintage English Gillette White (3)
    EdT: Caron Le 3ème Homme

No shave photo as time was limited, so just a previous photo showing the fragrance used tonight.
    Three passes for a DFS+. The Vintage Gillette blade works really well in the AS-D2 razor.
    It has been quite hot this week in Perth, so the mentholated Stirling soap was very welcome.

9. Sticky

Sticky Just 17 days and then... 2018 Sabbatical Fail

[​IMG]
    Brush: Simpsons, PJ2
    Soap: APR, SAA
    Razor: Ever Ready, Featherweight
    Blade : Gem SS
    About a year ago I picked up a Featherweight by accident in a lot with a Slim I wanted and so I got some blades and had my first SE shave. I am celebrating today with a lovely smooth and easy BBS, fantastic!

This Featherweight came with this useful and informative piece of paperwork;
    [​IMG]

10. Pbgoose

Pbgoose Member

[​IMG]
    Soap: Squadron Ace (Sample)
    Brush: Zenith Boar
    Razor: Bengall
    Back on the tar roads today. It's going to take the best part of a day to clean the bull dust out of the truck but that'll have to wait til next week. Best to start the day with a fine straight razor shave.

11. todras

todras est Français pour après-rasage Menth Dealer

[​IMG]

Musgo Glyce
    Declaration
    ATT R1/UFO TiTAN XL
    Feather
    Eufros Rosa Bourbon Soap/Balm
    AP Reserve Fougère Bourbon Rose Splash/EDP

Testing the new EDP flacons prior to them going into production later this year. Some big changes ahead.​

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  12. Mark1966

Mark1966 Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' Staff Member Site Moderator Grand Society 2016 Sabbatical Fail 2018 Charity Auction Winner

Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
    Blade: EOM Sensor Excel twin blade cart
    Brush: Muhle Synthetic Travel Brush
    Soap/Cream: D R Harris Windsor shave stick
    Aftershave: N/A

My 'Pork Chop' sample was damaged on the flight to Perth so only had a little drop left. I have a drop of CdV but am saving it for day where other people are involved. Today is just flying, Albany - Perth - Melbourne. Effectively my 'day off' and time to catch up on emails.

You get to see all the sights when travelling for work. This is a rock. It looks like a dog. It is - Dog Rock, Albany WA

[​IMG]

Bet you are jealous!

Volare, RustyBlade, TomG and 12 others like this.
  13. tullfan

tullfan Member 2018 Sabbatical

I am green,but that could also be food poisoning

14. todras

Absolutely it does, they have flagged 32-35C over the weekend and into Monday. I see it as a last chance to break out the summer and spring fragrances...and fire up the AC as I hate the heat :)

TomG, Razor Burn and Snooze like this.
  15. Dustin L

Dustin L Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used plate 5 with a Nacet on the 6S this morning on two days growth. While it felt nice and smooth and it would probably be fine on 3 or 4 days growth it irritated the crap out of my neck. Plate 3 has been great on two days so far, I will chuck the 4 plate on next shave and give it a rip.

It's hot and humid here in Perth so I was loving the menthol!

Volare, Scotty, TomG and 6 others like this.
  16. Mark1966

I hope not food poisoning!

tullfan likes this.
  17. todras

Another riveting contribution to P&C :LOL:

What is it you do again ? Oh yes, that's right I remember now... :whistle:

18. Mark1966

Gotta keep my standards up, we can't all be famous 'noses'.

Notice that there were NO capitals though ...

19. todras

Some of us may be known as eccentric Australians with exhaustive razor collections however, it should be noted....

Mark1966 likes this.