Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
5i222Wql.jpg

Soap: Pb Max MkII
Brush: Omega Boar Italian
Razor: Tanifuji
AS: Pb Max MkI
Snuck in a Sunday shave on Monday morning.:LOL: @Snooze That Takehana blade inspired me to pull out the Tanifuji which worked really nicely with the Max MkII (I like the bentonite with the straights). I'm tempted to go hunting for a Takehana blade but I think it's better if I don't even look at this stage.:stop:
I dumped a load of water in with the Max MkII and because of the bentonite and oils combination (Tamanu, Avocado, Emu etc) it doesn't over foam. Still came up a beautiful cream lather which was very protective and slick. It's the Tamanu and Avocado that give the soap it's greenish tinge. Some may not like this much clay (I wouldn't go a heavier dose than this) but there's always Max MkI (Tussah Silk):). I think Max MkII is perfect for straights and I'll give it a run with a DE tomorrow.

73E5PfKl.jpg

Mondial Florence, Semogue 1305, Parker 34R, Polsilver, Witch Hazel, Nivea, VCS

One pass careful shave.The Parker demands,insists actually,that one take care as these style of razors are not forgiving at all,especially with such a blade.With a traditional straight one can be a bit more aggressive although still alert,with the Parker it's all about focus and impeccable technique.It's good to use in regard to keeping oneself from getting too cocky.

5i222Wql.jpg

Brush: Omega Boar Italian
Razor: Tanifuji
AS: Pb Max MkI
Snuck in a Sunday shave on Monday morning.:LOL: @Snooze That Takehana blade inspired me to pull out the Tanifuji which worked really nicely with the Max MkII (I like the bentonite with the straights). I'm tempted to go hunting for a Takehana blade but I think it's better if I don't even look at this stage.:stop:
I dumped a load of water in with the Max MkII and because of the bentonite and oils combination (Tamanu, Avocado, Emu etc) it doesn't over foam. Still came up a beautiful cream lather which was very protective and slick. It's the Tamanu and Avocado that give the soap it's greenish tinge. Some may not like this much clay (I wouldn't go a heavier dose than this) but there's always Max MkI (Tussah Silk):). I think Max MkII is perfect for straights and I'll give it a run with a DE tomorrow.
Nice shave @Pbgoose! The Tanifuji is an awesome razor. The scales on my Takehana are identical - not bad for $52 posted (y)

73E5PfKl.jpg

Mondial Florence, Semogue 1305, Parker 34R, Polsilver, Witch Hazel, Nivea, VCS

One pass careful shave.The Parker demands,insists actually,that one take care as these style of razors are not forgiving at all,especially with such a blade.With a traditional straight one can be a bit more aggressive although still alert,with the Parker it's all about focus and impeccable technique.It's good to use in regard to keeping oneself from getting too cocky.

@pvsampson if your looking for a shavette that is a bit less forgiving look up a shavette called Luxor Pro Master Razor

NFNpq6g.jpg
61NOYe58K8L._SY550_.jpg

Last edited:
Crap, :LOL: never gotten MWF that thick before, nice lather!!
Clubman's Gents gin is lovely, refreshing, and different. Thoughts?
Pretty much a standard MWF lather isn't it?
Gent's Gin is certainly different, but yes, refreshing and pleasant enough. Mrs NG describes it as smelling like a nice cleaning product. Main scent I get is a citrus mix with some very faint gin/juniper in the background.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless blade (3)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (ARP) Couer de Vert shaving soap
Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve (ARP) Couer de Vert splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (ARP) Couer de Vert EDP

Brush:maggards synth
Soap: arko
Razor:6s(2)
Blade: feather(2)
Been running this setup for the last 4 days or so.arko is a winner for me. It's super cheap yet outperforms some much more expensive soaps by a fair margin just a pity it smells so ordinary but it is subtle enough not to leave any trace after shaving.

BiPaxtLh.jpg

Brush: Shavemac
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
AS: Pb Max
Pulled out the Aristocrat for the first time today. Awesome shave. Thanks @RustyBlade for the Prime. They'll be a regular in my line up. I would never have even bothered trying those.
I had made Max MkII with a higher percentage of KOH so it's a softer soap. Lathers really easily and I'm noticing you don't have to pander to it to get the lather you want like some of the other soaps I've been using lately. Shavemac paired perfectly with the soap for a luxurious shave.

Preshave: shiner gold shave soap
Brush: Simpsons Tulip 3, Manchurian
Cream: Simpsons, lavender and vetivert
Razor: Timeless Bronze, safety bar
Blade: Astra superior platinum
Postshave: Razorock lavender wax

I have found the Simpsons creams to produce large quantities of very luxurious lather, once you get the water to cream ratio right. They also have fantastic scents (in my opinion) that last really well. As for the Razorock aftershave wax, this is by far the best post shave product that I have used. A little goes a long way and leaves the skin feeling so smooth. Really good shave from this combo this morning, not BBS but very very good.

9gvsd5.jpg

Rockwell 6S (3)
Polsilver
Yaqi Tuxedo
B&M Le Grand Cyphre Soap and Splash

I wanted to try a few more blades before moving the 6S but I couldn't hold off. Wow! Smooth shave! I feel it could be a bit closer, I'll try plate 4 next. I did 4 passes not a bit of irritation! It's like twice the weight of the EJ DE89.

I'm not that happy with the Yaqi. It came with a weird smell that is still slightly there, and every shave it loses about 5 bristles, which is annoying during the shave. The RazoRock Plissoft is yet to loose one. It whips up lather heaps quicker then the Plissoft though.

Have a good day guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.