UKSUXTj_d.jpg

Date: 20 March 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Horn 30/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ The Black Pearl 3x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Blade:- GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #3
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

SOTD 19/03/2018
Mingshi / Mings*%t blade / Omega / Proraso white cream / Joop balm

Stayed the night at mum's and used what I packed in my travel kit. Lets just say the shave was less than satisfactory as I happened to have the crappy blade already loaded in the razor. Lovely slick lather but sadly the razor failed to shave all my growth evenly. Looking forward to the next shave later today. Have a great remainder to your Tuesday gents!

That was my first run. I used plate 3. I assume it was 3, the number on the underside you can read when assembled is the plate number yeah?

What is your regular plate?
Yep, the number you can read when assembled is the plate you are on.

I generally leave the 2-4 plate in my Rockwell and shave on the 4 setting. On weekends, I’ll flip to the 2 to give my skin a break.

That was my first run. I used plate 3. I assume it was 3, the number on the underside you can read when assembled is the plate number yeah?

What is your regular plate?
@Korbz is correct re: the number.

When I first got the razor I attempted plate #2 but I couldn't even get the blade to touch my skin...
I immediately bumped it up to plate #4 and I was in Heaven.
After a couple of weeks I moved up to #5 and liked it even more. I stayed there for quite some time.

Then, after playing with a Gillette Tech, I realised how nice a mild shave can be.
So, I weened myself from #5 to #4 and then to #3.
#3 is currently my favourite. Nice shave while still being relatively forgiving. But, my technique had to improve (on the higher plates) before I could use it.

I have recently re-tried plate #2 but I STILL can't get a good shave from it.

SORRY NO PICTURE TODAY

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Parker Variant on 2.5 kindly loaned by @Mark1966
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Hucklaration
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

The sweet spot for me with the Variant seems really to be on 2.5. Very close shave and as previously already mentioned, the razor feels more aggressive, than it actually is. I still have problems around my nose, the head geometry is a bit bulky for this area of my face - every thing else was a breeze.

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday and for those of you who celebrate happy new year (y)

Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Razor: Maggard Slant + MR11 black anodized handle
Blade: Astra
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Shaving Factory mug
Pre: Shower
Soap: EJ Menthol soap puck
Post: Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / PAA Atomic travel aftershave

A quick SAS in the shower in 2 passes. Previous shaves with this combo have proven smooth and efficient but tonights shave was let down by slight blade misalignment, resulting in minor irritation on my neck but thankfully no nicks nor weepers. For a budget slant you can't go wrong with Maggards and paired with the smaller handle it feels similar in the hand to the Merkur 37C which I really like, even though it's design is more akin to the iKon slants. Have a terrific Wednesday and happy shaves!

Pre-shave: Trumpers Skin Food - Lime
Brush: Elite Razor 2-Band Badger
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Bon Vivant
Razor: Timeless Bronze OC
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Post-shave: Chatillon Lux - Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Salve

Today was the first time using the Timeless Bronze OC and it is milder than the R41. I didn't get as close a shave as I was hoping for, but I think that's due to me being distracted and thinking about the new soap and razor.
Declaration Grooming as usual produced a great lather. I'm not really into the Bon Vivant scent. I was expecting a sweeter scent with a stronger caramel or cognac. Instead I get more woods and spices, with a bit of sweetness.
The post-shave salve scent is easily a favourite. Now to wait for a future soap release. Performance of the salve I think is similar to Declaration Grooming Liniment and MdC Cophra, I find it doesn't absorb fully and my face is slightly oily after. (At least they're good oils :))

Last edited:
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless blade (4)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson H2 boar
Soap/Cream: Acqua di Palma Colonia shaving soap
Aftershave: Acqua di Palma Colonia splash
Fragrance: Acqua di Palma Colonia EDC

Photo didn't work too week - sorry :(

Possibly due to the lack of sleep last night - post 1 am bedtimes really are too late ...

Full day today and then the back of the week is broken!

Ages ago, mid last year. Both aluminium colour and still in the box.
Back in the, What do you have in the post right now?
How come you haven't tried them yet?
I'd be interested in what you think between the two. I have the Brass General and the Hawk (V1). Initially I thought the General was the superior but at the moment I think I'd rate them almost equally. One the major differences is weight so am interested to see how closely you rate them given yours are both the aluminium.
I love using both the General and Hawk and wouldn't hesitate to replace either if something happened to them.

Razor: Gillette twist
Brush: Semogue mistura
Blade: Gillette spoiler
Soap: Razor rock Green Irish Tweed

Perhaps one of least glitzy razor. Pressed metal head, blue plastic handle but I tell you what me and this razor just work. Two and half care free passes later you have a BBS. Its light weight make using it such a lazy and stress free shave. Coupled with a vintage blade it is a pleasure to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.