Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
40927928031_539791fbed_c.jpg

Being sick at home does allow me some perks (y)

Merkur Futur #2 | Astra Green | Shavemac | Declaration Grooming TSM Fougère | Dr. Jon's Classic AS​

How come you haven't tried them yet?
I'd be interested in what you think between the two. I have the Brass General and the Hawk (V1). Initially I thought the General was the superior but at the moment I think I'd rate them almost equally. One the major differences is weight so am interested to see how closely you rate them given yours are both the aluminium.
I love using both the General and Hawk and wouldn't hesitate to replace either if something happened to them.

Too many razors. Though I need to get them out and sell a few of my other razors. Thinking a slant month is due soon then AC styled SE blade razors and shavette month.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Australian Private Reserve Fougère Bourbon Rose
Razor: Gillette Slim (4)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Stainless (2)
Scent: Knize Forest

First shave using the Little Wren Pottery bowl, and what better soap to christen it with than APR Fougère Bourbon Rose. The bowl worked a treat. In fact, so well that I initially over-aerated the lather through excessive agitation. A quick adjustment and all was well.
Three passes, followed by some buffing to arrive at BBS. The scent of the APR soap is complex and has good strength; my bathroom now smells fantastic.
My second shave with the Slim. It reinforced my initial opinion that this razor is nimble, and provides excellent feedback, allowing precise blade contact. It is very comfortable at setting 4, so I may increase the blade gap to test the efficiency vs comfort trade-off. The sharpness of the Knize Forest fougère scent provided a nice counterpoint to the richer tones of the APR soap.

WgNjORHl.jpg

Proraso red, Semogue Boar, Filarmonica 13, Witch Hazel, Nivea, Old Spice Musk
Enjoyable two passes with the Fili today. Received a tub of 1 micron diamond paste so I cut a piece of granite,(old sink top), to 4" x 2.5" and glued some old leather on it,pasted and then ran the Fili over it for 30 passes.Got the piece of 10mm thick glass I have some 0.5 micron lapping film taped to and ran 30 passes on that then stropped the normal 50 laps and checked for the hanging hair test.Very fine strand from my daughters brush and that edge sliced that hair every time.
The Fili is working as it was designed to.

iOtBEu7h.jpg

Soap: Eufros - Dama de Noche (Sample)
Brush: Zenith Boar
Razor: Black Hawk
Blade: Feather Pro Super
The Hawk is one of my favourite shaves at the moment. It's easy and reliable. Finally can do a shave again without having to put up 'roadworks' signs where my cold sore has healed.
Then head out to the office......
9r3zarwl.jpg

Was travelling too late last night sharing the road with hundreds of roos. 60-80km/hr stuff when you're not standing on the brakes. Often they'll stand on the side of the road and let you drive by but not last night, they insisted on running the gauntlet. Didn't hit any but one or two run into the side.

IMG_20180321_063450-01.jpg

It started so well. I bought the proper Wardonia blade to use as a template but decided to try the 80 year old blade for giggles. Made half a pass then back to the R41 for a much smoother experience. Bahahaha. Everything is in the Bloom Bowl for scale :) It works a treat.

I was worried about the size of these bowls but they're just about a storage solution in themselves.:ROFLMAO:
What was it like to lather in?

Brush: RR 400
Razor: Timeless Bronze OC
Blade: Astra
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine Lather bowl
Soap: ADP Winterfall

Second shave with the OC and I achieved a DFS in 2 passes wth a few nicks on my neck (adams apple) due to added pressure from poor technique. Hard not to agree with @Kaeckerut regarding comparisons with the R41 but I'm still able to achieve a near BBS without the precision needed when using the R41. Love the scent profiles of the soap and the ease in which I am able to consitently achieve slick, creamy lather with very little effort (y)Too lazy to post a photo but never the less a pleasant shave to end the day. Happy shaves!

IMG_20180321_063450-01.jpg

It started so well. I bought the proper Wardonia blade to use as a template but decided to try the 80 year old blade for giggles. Made half a pass then back to the R41 for a much smoother experience. Bahahaha. Everything is in the Bloom Bowl for scale :) It works a treat.

So the original Wardonia blades are not good. That's a shame, I'm expecting my Wardonia tomorrow and hopefully I'll give it a run at the weekend. Have you tried modifying a new blade for it yet? I guess that will be the way to go. I really like the look of the bowl but that brush is the star in any picture!

Brush: RR 400
Blade: Astra
Scuttle/Bowl/Mug: Fine Lather bowl
Soap: ADP Winterfall

Second shave with the OC and I achieved a DFS in 2 passes wth a few nicks on my neck (adams apple) due to added pressure from poor technique. Hard not to agree with @Kaeckerut regarding comparisons with the R41 but I'm still able to achieve a near BBS without the precision needed when using the R41. Love the scent profiles of the soap and the ease in which I am able to consitently achieve slick, creamy lather with very little effort (y)Too lazy to post a photo but never the less a pleasant shave to end the day. Happy shaves!
Hahaha, you're the one who told me it's milder than the R41 and I definitely agree after using it ;). Also, wow, only the 2nd shave so far. (I was curious as to when your first use was and found it posted on the 1st of this month).

I think I'll give it another go tonight and see if I can do a better shave than last night. Weirdly it's the areas that I normally shave fine even with a mild razor like a R89 that I sorta messed up last night, so I do blame myself for that.

Brush: Omega Boar
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven "Arctic Mango"
Razors: iKon X3 (WTG), Rockwell 6S (3,3) (XTG,XTG)
Blades: Gillette Rubie (1), Polsilver (1)
Post-shave: Alum, Brut ASL

Used the Shaver Heaven to celebrate their return.
Provided for an excellent shave as usual.

I'm waiting to see @lerenau showing his first straight shave!
Are they all honed up yet mate?
Hi @Blackie!
I haven't progressed to that point yet.
I have been waylaid with some issues recently - I have a small medical procedure tomorrow morning. Don't worry. Everything should be fine.

I have been researching and discussing options with a mate. The thought of investing in a collection of accessories is scary, yet exciting.
I would probably have everything sorted already if I knew anyone in Canberra to confer with. But, c'est la vie. I'll learn what I can and try to pass the knowledge on to the next guy.

I'm looking to start pulling some triggers over the next couple of days. Wish me luck! (y)

Hi @Blackie!
I haven't progressed to that point yet.
I have been waylaid with some issues recently - I have a small medical procedure tomorrow morning. Don't worry. Everything should be fine.

I have been researching and discussing options with a mate. The thought of investing in a collection of accessories is scary, yet exciting.
I would probably have everything sorted already if I knew anyone in Canberra to confer with. But, c'est la vie. I'll learn what I can and try to pass the knowledge on to the next guy.

I'm looking to start pulling some triggers over the next couple of days. Wish me luck! (y)
Send one off to get honed then you will have a benchmark for what a shave edge is.Get a starter strop from Beard and Blade for under thirty bucks.That will get you going,then you can start with other "options".
Also.....
https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/boy-dont-the-prices-jump.4000/#post-101170
Just some things to maybe consider.

Hahaha, you're the one who told me it's milder than the R41 and I definitely agree after using it ;). Also, wow, only the 2nd shave so far. (I was curious as to when your first use was and found it posted on the 1st of this month).

I think I'll give it another go tonight and see if I can do a better shave than last night. Weirdly it's the areas that I normally shave fine even with a mild razor like a R89 that I sorta messed up last night, so I do blame myself for that.

Yeah I purchased the OC plate during Februaury 's One Blade challenge so had to wait to have a proper shave. I have quite a collection of razors so it's really a challenge forming a solid opinion of one particular razor as I'm constantly mixing things up. As with everything it takes time so stick with the OC until you've found the right blade and mastered technique. Only then will you know whether it's the razor for you. (y)

The Bronze razor with its unique design requires a change to technique, especially the OC head as it's square comb is more a kin to say the iKon SBS and for that matter I find it difficult shaving as I normally do XTG. I'd say it's a razor I could use on 2-3 days growth and easily achieve a DFS with 2 passes and I'm happy with that. Now the R41 is more of an SB head and due to it's blade exposure, I can easily achieve a near BBS but only after 4 days growth or it irritates my skin, not to mention bites if you're not patient. Both good razors but I prefer the OC but YMMV :shame:

Pre-shave: Trumpers Skin Food - Lime
Brush: Elite Razor 2-Band Badger
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Gin & Tonic
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5)
Post-shave: Chatillon Lux - Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Salve

Similar to yesterdays shave. Good overall shave, but same problem areas, likely caused by me doing a cleanup pass after the post-shave yesterday (without lather). I also ended up with minor weepers in those areas during tonight's shave.

I decided to revisit some older soaps and didn't feel like using a mentholated soap, ended up choosing the Gin & Tonic. I wasn't sure what post shave to use, but the bright scent of G&T seems to pair nicely with the Yuzu.

I was worried about the size of these bowls but they're just about a storage solution in themselves.:ROFLMAO:
What was it like to lather in?

Brilliant. Heaps of easy lather and it didn't escape. Sits well in the hand and the handle locks it in comfortably. For my 30mm brush this bowl is the perfect size and I'm very happy. It's probably overkill for a 20mm knot.

Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless blade (5)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak, reknotted with TGN Finest
Soap/Cream: Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella Firenze, Crema da Barba
Aftershave: Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella Firenze, Lozione dopo Barba - Tabacco Toscano
Fragrance: Miller Harris feuilles de tabac EDP

Ohhh, nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.