Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
try putting on a heavier handle and not applying any pressure at all.. also try different angles.. with the R41 i enjoy riding the cap, but this last shave i tried a steep angle (as @SpeedyPC likes) and enjoyed it also. Your prep and lather must also be excellent for this razor. And try a sharp but smooth blade in it like a polsilver (if you can get them), if not wizamet are supposed to be as good if not the same blade..

Sounds like you enjoy the R41 at times, keep at it, i reckon you will end up loving this razor
@Schmicko I add my iKon Bulldog or my Rockwell 6C handle to my R41 head instead of the original Muhle handle, because, by allowing extra weight from the handle to do all the cutting during the shave for example by allowing the whole weight of the R41 doing all the cutting without applying any pressure (zero pressure) during your shaves. See YouTube

Date:- 16 June 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Fourth & Pine
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Fatboy (7 & 5) G2 1961 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

The return of the outdoor shave :D Quite relaxing with the sound of the sprinklers and birds singing in the Background.

- Superspeed 1955
- Aussie Spoiler 1984
- Phoenix Shaving - The Green Ray
- William’s Mug Soap
- Old Spice clone from Family Dollar
LzyklxS.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 "Slim" (5)
Blade: Personna "Lab Blue" (3)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger EDP

Wife sick, big day at work today, need a great shave - tick!

Pils + Feather
Dovo silvertip
W.K. Project Leather

My initial impression of the Pils after the first shave was that it was too mild and lacked efficiency. This shave just totally changed that. Firstly I used a much steeper angle than previously and added in a Feather blade. After two effortless passes I'm near BBS. It is a heavy razor and the size of the head does make it more tricky shaving under the nose, but I am very happy this beauty. Thanks @Holiday

Pre-shave:- Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil Green Man Fougere
Razor:- Charcoal Goods - Cast OC Head on a Giesen Forsthoff SS Handle
Blade:- Astra SP(1)
Aftershave:- Murphy & McNeil Green Man Fougere

mcB0jfo.jpg

First impression the CG Cast Open Comb Head provides an awesome shave
Thx to @Rabid Badger for enabling
Glad to be of sevice and that it gave youa great shave.

Brush: RR boar
Razor: Maggard V3A + MR1 handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Soap: PAA CaD
Pre: Shower + PAA Cube preshave soap
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel // Mr Royal cologne // TSW After Balm

An almost perfect prework shave this morning with some neglected gear. Loved the menthol from the Cube.
The boar brush has broken in well and feels soft and exfoliating on the skin. The soap was one of my first purchases and surprisingly performs very well for a vegan soap with a pleasant barbershop scent.
The razor is quickly becoming a favourite as it shaves super smooth when paired with a sharper blade. Finished off with the trusty TSW balm and the hand me down cologne. :love: Happy shaves!

Feather AC DX non folding
Feather Pro blade (10)
Omega 48
Palmolive by Mennen Lather Shave cream
Armani Code

Another 2 pass BBS. This is getting repetitive but I want to see out the blade before I change anything.

IME the ability to deploy a 1-2 pass shave is highly dependent on the ability to use sharp (some would say harsh) blades. There is no way I could go there with a blade on the smooth side of the (sharp / smooth) spectrum - the efficiency is just not sufficient, even in an aggressive razor. Of course, using a Feather blade in an Artist Club razor is the peak of both sharp blade and efficient razor, so it is no real surprise that fewer passes are required, if one's skin can tolerate it or one's touch is sufficiently light for that skin.

Re plissoft
34c + oil lk here 7 o,clock green...4
St James black pepper sample
Proraso red.
I find myself using the 34c more often than any other razor to the point of considering selling the Game Changer...time will tell,it ticks all the boxes.
Now just waiting for the electrician,only 2 hours late and no call

@Schmicko I add my iKon Bulldog or my Rockwell 6C handle to my R41 head instead of the original Muhle handle, because, by allowing extra weight from the handle to do all the cutting during the shave for example by allowing the whole weight of the R41 doing all the cutting without applying any pressure (zero pressure) during your shaves. See

I unfortunately don’t have another razor with a heavier handle as of the moment but I will remember to give it a go if I get one, prob sooner rather than latter😂

try putting on a heavier handle and not applying any pressure at all.. also try different angles.. with the R41 i enjoy riding the cap, but this last shave i tried a steep angle (as @SpeedyPC likes) and enjoyed it also. Your prep and lather must also be excellent for this razor. And try a sharp but smooth blade in it like a polsilver (if you can get them), if not wizamet are supposed to be as good if not the same blade..

Sounds like you enjoy the R41 at times, keep at it, i reckon you will end up loving this razor

I don’t have a heavier handle atm but I have put a polsilver in it and it seems to be a better blade for it and my face, just have to be aware of my angles as I feel that’s my weak point. It is strange cause I have very few issues with a straight razor but this just feels different, it performs like a safety razor but without the safety and it is easy to forget that it has a bite just like a straight, if you catch my drift.

I don’t have a heavier handle atm but I have put a polsilver in it and it seems to be a better blade for it and my face, just have to be aware of my angles as I feel that’s my weak point. It is strange cause I have very few issues with a straight razor but this just feels different, it performs like a safety razor but without the safety and it is easy to forget that it has a bite just like a straight, if you catch my drift.
Try using the R41 by riding the top cap for a while without pressure, until, you get yourself better handling how to used the R41 before you attach a heavy handle for your next level.

The most important thing you need to learn by fully understand how to use the R41 as a shaving tool, otherwise, if you cannot learn how the use the R41 the heavy handle may not be able to help you learn how to use the whole tool during your shave.

My initial impression of the Pils after the first shave was that it was too mild and lacked efficiency. This shave just totally changed that. Firstly I used a much steeper angle than previously and added in a Feather blade. After two effortless passes I'm near BBS. It is a heavy razor and the size of the head does make it more tricky shaving under the nose, but I am very happy this beauty. Thanks @Holiday
Glad to be of sevice and that it gave youa great shave.
Good trade (y)

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R4)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Double Edge Blade
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron, The Warden
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Frozen Tundra

Pre-shave:- Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Soap:- Stirling - Frozen Tundra
Razor:- Charcoal Goods - Cast OC Head on RR Super Knurl Handle
Blade:- Astra SP(2)
Aftershave:- Stirling WHAM

2UVsWRt.jpg

Playing with different handles on the CG Cast Head.

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip Badger
Soap: A&E Uno

was advised by a forum member to try the feather in a 1.25 WR2 + a very steep angle. Had two previous attempts with the WR2 + feather combo an neither ended well, a few weepers + a rough shave. I had been holding off another attempt but finally decided to give the feather one last chance

In all honesty… wow!! Super smooth, ZERO weepers and no burn. Smooth, comfy and such a close shave. Did the traditional three passes + a second ATG (just on the face)

quite pleasantly amazed at how much difference the angle adjustment made 😊

50015868492_b8f6cb14f3_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.