Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Limited Edition Badger
Soap: Murphy & McNeil - Bad Mor (Bay Rum)
Razor: Razor Rock - Game Changer 0.84-P
Blade: Gillette Rubie (3)
Aftershave: Ogallala - Bay Rum & Sandalwood
odx8TxO.jpg

Bad Mor is very subtle Bay Rum compared to Ogallala

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: 73 Gillette Black Beauty (6)
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Blu Soap

@Pbgoose has helped inspire a back to back black beauty special, kept all factors the same only spicing it up with some stirling soap and big move to proraso red splash.

Shave was pretty much the same as yday, 3 passes and an all round excellent shave. Another solid performance with the soap and I just absolutely love that proraso red splash, pity it isn’t long lasting. Not sure what I like in the scent but I love it…

49862481741_568185d224_b.jpg
Razor: 73 Gillette Black Beauty (6)
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip Badger
Soap: Stirling Blu Soap

@Pbgoose has helped inspire a back to back black beauty special, kept all factors the same only spicing it up with some stirling soap and big move to proraso red splash.

Shave was pretty much the same as yday, 3 passes and an all round excellent shave. Another solid performance with the soap and I just absolutely love that proraso red splash, pity it isn’t long lasting. Not sure what I like in the scent but I love it…

49862481741_568185d224_b.jpg
i love the proraso AS too! Is there anything that proraso does that isn’t likable??

Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 84
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Yaqi 26mm synth
Soap: B&M Seville

Think I'm coming down with some form of Ebola so felt like a citrus scent. Decided to try a blade I hadn't tried previously, had an unopened pack of Rapira's that Vshod chucked in with an order. Felt quite similar to Voshkods tbh.

M4VYmRm.png

Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 84
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Yaqi 26mm synth
Soap: B&M Seville

Think I'm coming down with some form of Ebola so felt like a citrus scent. Decided to try a blade I hadn't tried previously, had an unopened pack of Rapira's that Vshod chucked in with an order. Felt quite similar to Voshkods tbh.

M4VYmRm.png
GOD CRIKEY :wideyed::jawdrop: @Fedor you've had the worst hairstyle and a fantastic shave, all on the same day

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak
Soap/Cream: APR General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Replated vintage NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Vintage UK Personna (5)
Post-shave: APR General Ledger splash
Fragrance: APR General Ledger EDP

Hmmm, so good

Date:- 07 May 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Cuir et Epices
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Ball End Tech (0.56mm) 1946-50 / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #12
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Book 5 of 21.
902653.jpg

Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R4)
Blade: Rapira platinum lux
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

If you like proraso make sure you try their Azure Lime Cream, this is proraso's top range cream and is made for straight blades in mind so the slickness of this cream is >> than the normal green/red etc proraso cream/croaps

Maximum Glide Azure Lime
Thanks @StratMan im going add that to my next order for sure!! And like everything else from proraso it is a good price!!

Brush: Omega (Proraso) boar // Yaqi 30mm
Razor: Yintal 3000s Brass TTO (2, 3) // Blackland Dart
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum (6) // Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: PAA CaD
Post: AP Reserve Escentials Restoration Serum // Proraso white balm // APR Junos EdT sample

The last two SOTD with some neglected gear. CaD was one of my first proper soaps I purchased and it performs well for a vegan soap with a refreshing barbershop scent. I grabbed the TTO and it shaved super smooth on #2 that I finished off on setting #3 to DFS results in part to face lathering with the boar and the blade starting to drag a bit. Binned for today's shave.

This morning's effort was an absolute delight as the Yaqi produced slick lather allowing for a smooth, comfortable shave on par with the R41 for efficiency. The Dart is a great shaver when paired with a good blade and the GSB works well to limit the blade feel and achieve efficient results = near BBS. Finished off with some Serum, Junos and white balm for what truly were two enjoyable shaves... Happy shaves!

Pre-shave: Shower/Bloom Water
Brush: Shavemac - Americana
Soap: Stirling - Frozen Tundra
Razor: Razor Rock - Game Changer 0.84-P
Blade: Gillette Rubie (4)
Aftershave: Stirling - WHAM
8DjYbiS.jpg

SOTD THURSDAY MAY 7, 2020

Ok, I admit, I’m really enjoying shaving with this Gillette Big Fellow. For today’s shave I selected Declaration Grooming Sellout Soap. It’s one of their milk steak soap bases, and really generates a wonderful, rich skin-toning lather that stays with one for the rest of the day. My grandson bought me a little Kent Synthetic brush, which was identical to one I received as a gift. I PIF’ed that brush, but did enjoy using its replacement this morning. The Kent had decent backbone, but fell a little short on water retention. Since SWMBO complained about my use of the Fine Platinum AS yesterday, I selected Chiseled Face Natural, a refreshing scent-free AS. The 6 drops of M-Bomb pumped up the Sellout sufficiently to guarantee the kind of cooling lather I enjoy.

After a cold shower, the shave began with a nice ice water rinse of both mug and dome shaving surfaces. The icy cold mentholated lather felt great. The Big Fellow just feels good in the hand. Historically, the razor was developed for larger men’s hands. At 6’3” I guess I qualify. I’d loaded a Feather blade into this Old Type on steroids. It made short work of my whiskers in that first WTG pass. With continued use I've grown more confident in this razor. The wide sweet spot made whisker obliteration easier with each shave. My second ATG pass led me directly to bloodless BBS land. On that second pass, the shave strokes were shorter, but more confident. My face and dome both felt velveteen smooth, cool and clean.

RAZOR: Gillette Big Fellow (1920 vintage)
BLADE: Feather (1)
PREP: Iced cold water rinse
BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synthetic
SOAP: Declaration Grooming Sellout (Milk Steak Base)
POSTSHAVE: Iced cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Chiseled Face Natural AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: APR General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Replated vintage NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Vintage UK Personna (6)
Post-shave: APR General Ledger splash
Fragrance: APR General Ledger EDP

OK, so first confession. I don't really remember this shave before applying the splash. Yes I did two passes and a swipe around the jawline as usual, but it was all without concentrating, I was thinking of the day ahead.

Result - no nicks thankfully but certainly a patchy and not BBS shave. Now I don't get hung up on striving for BBS perfection every day but this was sub-par, and using kit I've been "practicing on" all week! Lesson here folks, pay attention!

Status
Not open for further replies.