Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
[URL=http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/statman2/media/C332C084-3BE7-4B88-A710-21277416A868_zpsussour2j.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/statman2/media/E1B840F3-25DD-43E2-BA60-98E2B2CE3314_zpsl3f9v3pm.jpg.html][/URL]
SOTD SATURDAY MAY 9, 2020

My new/old Ronson Self Sharpening Safety Razor (1930s vintage) finally arrived from British Columbia. It was scheduled to arrive this last Monday, but with COVID19 delays showed up 4 days later. It’s in remarkably good condition for an 85 - 90 yr old razor and included a NOS unused blade. One of my FB shave brothers with a remarkable vintage safety razor collection owns one as well which he declares to be his favorite razor.

Now I’ve known about this razor, but avoided them because of the blade usage issue. Now I guess I could hone and strop the included blade, or could modify a modern blade by nipping out a gap in the blade tabs as I do with my Gibbs, but my clever friend has been using injector blades very successfully. So after some FB Messenger tutorial sessions from my patient teacher, I felt ready to go. Before use I cleaned and sanitized it and loaded a Proline Injector blade as instructed.

I began the shave with an iced water rinse following my shower. The MrEE brush’s hybrid Badger/Boar knot whipped up a gorgeous, thick Pannacrema Nuavia Blu lather enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb. At 77.6 grams, the razor feels good in the hand. The 3/4” head and 2 5/8” handle seemed awkward at first, but as my friend instructed, it shaves at the same angle as a Gem. The Proline injector blade is both smooth and sharp, and made short work of the facial whiskers in two careful passes (WTG, ATG).

The head shave was a bit problematic, not due to the razor, but rather to user error. The razor has a generous sweet spot, but is quite head heavy. As a result I ended up with two minor set down errors. The first as I attempted an ATG pass on the left side of my dome, just above the ear, and the second at the back of my head as I started a WTG pass. Don't get me wrong; I really like this razor. I plan on shaving with it for as long as it takes to master. Most of my focus will be on mastering the head shave, as the face shave ended up an easy BBS. My head shave despite the two nicks worked out as a solid DFS. The challenge with the noggin are the hills, valleys and curvature as I work toward a BBS. In any case I feel clean, smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Ronson Self Sharpening Safety Razor
BLADE: Schick Proline B-20 Injector
PREP: Iced water rinse
BRUSH: MrEE Brush 007
SOAP: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum

Pre-Shave: Shower/Body Shop Maca Root Aloe Calming Icy Shaving Gel
Brush: Simpson - Pure Badger 2 - The Duke
Soap: Body Shop Maca Root Aloe Softening Shaving Cream
Str8: DOVO Classic Solingen Best Quality 6/8 Straight Razor
Post Shave: Body Shop Maca Root Aloe Calming Post Shave Water Gel

DHMsBUd.jpg

SOTD SATURDAY MAY 9, 2020

My new/old Ronson Self Sharpening Safety Razor (1930s vintage) finally arrived from British Columbia. It was scheduled to arrive this last Monday, but with COVID19 delays showed up 4 days later. It’s in remarkably good condition for an 85 - 90 yr old razor and included a NOS unused blade. One of my FB shave brothers with a remarkable vintage safety razor collection owns one as well which he declares to be his favorite razor.

Now I’ve known about this razor, but avoided them because of the blade usage issue. Now I guess I could hone and strop the included blade, or could modify a modern blade by nipping out a gap in the blade tabs as I do with my Gibbs, but my clever friend has been using injector blades very successfully. So after some FB Messenger tutorial sessions from my patient teacher, I felt ready to go. Before use I cleaned and sanitized it and loaded a Proline Injector blade as instructed.

I began the shave with an iced water rinse following my shower. The MrEE brush’s hybrid Badger/Boar knot whipped up a gorgeous, thick Pannacrema Nuavia Blu lather enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb. At 77.6 grams, the razor feels good in the hand. The 3/4” head and 2 5/8” handle seemed awkward at first, but as my friend instructed, it shaves at the same angle as a Gem. The Proline injector blade is both smooth and sharp, and made short work of the facial whiskers in two careful passes (WTG, ATG).

The head shave was a bit problematic, not due to the razor, but rather to user error. The razor has a generous sweet spot, but is quite head heavy. As a result I ended up with two minor set down errors. The first as I attempted an ATG pass on the left side of my dome, just above the ear, and the second at the back of my head as I started a WTG pass. Don't get me wrong; I really like this razor. I plan on shaving with it for as long as it takes to master. Most of my focus will be on mastering the head shave, as the face shave ended up an easy BBS. My head shave despite the two nicks worked out as a solid DFS. The challenge with the noggin are the hills, valleys and curvature as I work toward a BBS. In any case I feel clean, smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Ronson Self Sharpening Safety Razor
BLADE: Schick Proline B-20 Injector
PREP: Iced water rinse
BRUSH: MrEE Brush 007
SOAP: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
The handle looks very similar to a Jedi Lightsaber ... Obi-Wan Kenobi :joyful:

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch shaving soap
Razor: EverReady "E-bar" SE razor
Blade: GEM SE blade (1)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fenchurch EDP

Inspired by @Jgreenepa to step outside of the DE world (but not as far as the Ronson!) I present to you my setup for the week - the wonderful EverReady "E-bar"
and the sensational Fenchuch

Happy Mothers Day to all the incredible mothers out there!

tdNO69j.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Wholly Kaw King of Oud
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Super Iridium BN-84 (1)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington EdC

Mining Camp on the edge of the Great Victoria Desert.
R/O water, which meant easy lathering, which is always a bonus.
Three passes for a DFS result.
It is a lonely existence at camps at the best of times, but social distancing takes it to a whole new level.

tdNO69j.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Wholly Kaw King of Oud
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Super Iridium BN-84 (1)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington EdC

Mining Camp on the edge of the Great Victoria Desert.
R/O water, which meant easy lathering, which is always a bonus.
Three passes for a DFS result.
It is a lonely existence at camps at the best of times, but social distancing takes it to a whole new level.

Might as well save that Jack Black then mate - nobody will get close enough to know if you have used it or not!

Look after yourself

Pre-Shave: Shower/Body Shop Maca Root Aloe Calming Icy Shaving Gel
Brush: Simpson - Pure Badger 2 - The Duke
Soap: Body Shop Maca Root Aloe Softening Shaving Cream
Str8: DOVO Classic Solingen Best Quality 6/8 Straight Razor
Post Shave: Body Shop Maca Root Aloe Calming Post Shave Water Gel

DHMsBUd.jpg
How did you go with the coticule?

Hi @TomG is that the Timeless shaving bowl? How does it perform? Have read good reviews.
G'day @Holiday. You are correct - Timeless bowl. I like it for travel, and alsouse it at home for normal shaving, as I shave in the shower, and dropping a ceramic bowl usually has shattering consequences. It performs well, as I find the depth just right for my style of lathering.

How did you go with the coticule?
Best described as Honer in Training. It shaved but picked the worst str8 in the den to start with because bevel is definitely out on one side.
When honing the razor was gripping and cutting nicely on one side and a greasy slide on the other. Hone marks were so deep looked like someone had taken to it with a bench grinder.
Also have a blunt Bengall to practice with, just want to clean and polish that up first while it's nice and blunt.
Negotiating a few Naniwa's with @bald as. Enjoying the process. Very therapeutic and gives me something to whittle away at while the rest of the family watch TV

Date:- 10 May 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Orginal
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-D' / Polsilver SI #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Burberry London for Men

Pre: Hot Towel
Razor: RAW RS-10 Mild Plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Valobra Cologne
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.