Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened this time?
Should have been easy with the synthetic brush. The Jack the Barber is great little brush.
If again your lather is wet and airy, then you have added too much water.

Try this method

When you add water, literally just add drips from your hand to the bowl.

I had squeezed the brush dry, but obviously it still had traces of water in it. I added no water drips by hand (as I do when hydrating it) I used this method which I have been using for the last few months . The only thing I think that could be going wrong is the amount of soap added is insufficient. If this is the case it means I need to add a lot more of this soap compared to Proraso/Arko/Tabac and have to work the crap out of it to make an equivalent. I would have thought that a 'top shelf' product would not have needed so much product to do the same as the general market products.

I had squeezed the brush dry, but obviously it still had traces of water in it. I added no water drips by hand (as I do when hydrating it) I used this method which I have been using for the last few months . The only thing I think that could be going wrong is the amount of soap added is insufficient. If this is the case it means I need to add a lot more of this soap compared to Proraso/Arko/Tabac and have to work the crap out of it to make an equivalent. I would have thought that a 'top shelf' product would not have needed so much product to do the same as the general market products.
As others have suggested you need to make sure you have your water to soap ratio good otherwise you'll end up with either dry or watery lather.
Remember you can always add bits of water as you go along rather than too much water to start off with. If the lather appears too wet then remove excess water from brush and try loading more soap and with a bit of effort you should have optimal lather for multiple passes.
A&E is a harder soap so you will need to load up 30-60 seconds and let the soap do the work as its full of various butters/milk, hence the high reputation.
You adjust the loading times and water depending on the soap/cream being used with Proraso requiring very little water as its already soft. Don't be shy to use excess soap as a tub will last 12 mths unless you're over enthusiastic and its just soap plus a good reason for a future purchase. ;)
Practice makes perfect so take your time as the extra effort will be rewarding! Happy Shaves :)

If you think about it, your Proraso and Arko are a lot softer, so it's a lot easier to smoosh a sufficient load into your brush or face. If you load up your A&E so that the bristles of your (barely damp) brush are completely full of soap, and you have lots of lovely thick proto-lather threatening to spill out of the tub, you might have enough, and you can then add a sprinkle of water from this fingertips to the brush or bowl as you work it up. Sometimes it helps to add a few drops to the soap as you load.

It all sounds like a lot of work, but in actuality it's not that bad. And the lather is worth it :)

MONDAY
PRE: bloom water
RAZOR: Gillette ‘53 Y2 President
BLADE: Astra Superior Platinum
BRUSH: Heritage Ever-Ready 26mm SHD Gel
SOAP: Ethos /CBL Fresh Lime Shave Soap

mkKOnv0.png

MONDAY

mkKOnv0.png
Is the badger knot from Maggard Razors? the 26mm SHD Gel? how does the knot feels and backbone, also what loft height is the brush set to.

Skip the blooming for a sample, the amount of water that sticks to the surface or under the edges or in the bowl will overload it. 👍

MONDAY

mkKOnv0.png
Beautiful gear and picture @klinker - a brush to match every lid :)

Off to meetings at Parliament House today including with the PM and OL, that is Scomo and Albo to those outside Canberra

Scrolling through old posts and I couldn't resist the temptation to respond. Rest assured, Mark, one doesn't have to live in a soulless, bureaucratic town in order to understand what acronyms are. ;)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Wolf Whiskers - custom 30mm black wolf
Soap/Cream: House of Mammoth - Embrace
Razor: Rockwell - 6S (R5)
Blade: - Derby - Premium (1)
Post-shave: Lucky Tiger - Aspen AS / House of Mammoth - Embrace AS balm

2 pass + touchups WTG = DFS+. More than the usual buffering, still resulted in a nice shave.

The Soap, Mammoth Soaps - Embrace. Scent strength is light to medium off the tub, and once lathered. Scent notes, pink pepper, cardamom, coffee, berry, guaiacwood, labdanum, patchouli, and a range of musks. This soap has similar scent notes to Mood Indigo another soap from the artisan, of pepper and Berry which are instantly recognisable. I like the use of the guaicwood, which gives a nice clean deep wood note, but not as earthy as oud. There is a spice note running the scent which is probably the cardamom. Didn't pick up the coffee in this one, that could be because I am overwhelmed by the other scent notes. The patchouli and musk scent notes are very light, and add a sweeter highlight to the fragrance. I think the standout scent note n this fragrance is the labdanum. I believe it ties in the berry top notes with a smooth transition to the guaicwood in the base.

The balm is mid strength on the scent, and differs to the soap as the scent is quite prominent with the guaicwood and leather notes of labdanum. Combining this post shave with the soap creates an outstanding fragrance. Normally I don't think too much of fragranced balms these days as I prefer fragrance free due to the splash. This balm is fantastic both scent wise and performance. No need for a splash with this product, the scent is all there in the balm and more.

Very impressed with the quality and performance of the soap and balm. House of Mammoth products are on my big yes list. (y)(y)

Last edited:
Scrolling through old posts and I couldn't resist the temptation to respond. Rest assured, Mark, one doesn't have to live in a soulless, bureaucratic town in order to understand what acronyms are. ;)

But we are generally the only ones who will admit to that ... :)

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (7)
Blade: Thai (?) Wilkinson Sword (1)
Post-shave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars splash/balm
Fragrance: N/A

Always interesting when you unwrap a blade and there is an advert for a cartridge razor (Have you tried Gillette Vector?)

U8G5ZVPl.jpg

Brush: TF Customs - 28mm timber wolf
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Chaotic Neutral
Razor: Rockwell - 6S (R6)
Blade: - Derby - Premium (2)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Chaotic Neutral AS splash / A&E skin food nourishing cream.

2 pass WTG = DFS+. More efficient, smoother, less buffering. These are the shaves I enjoy.

RAZOR: Comoy's of London 6/8" with Jarrah scales
CREAM: A&E Kaizen
BRUSH: FS Best Badger knot
STROP: Dovo hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: The sweet sweet smell of victory
ka5puPV.jpg

Great success with the A&E today. I used a lot more than I usually would & kept it quite dry. The name of the soap (Kaizen) explains it all, and as a Lean Six kind of guy I'm on board with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.