Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Shower
Razor: Blackbird (SB), 2nd pass with ss Karve #F (SB), and Wizamet.
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi Happy Hippy, Snow Leopard knot.
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Post: Quick spray of Cuba Gold EDT on my manly chest, and Nivea Sensitive balm on my ruggedly handsome face.
First use of a Feather in the Blackbird. Very smooth shave...quite happy with the BB SB plate. I thought the SB with Rubie blade was great, but the Feather tops that. Lovely shave.
I have read 'somewhere' that Shane actually recommends the Feather blade in the Blackbird. Seems right to me.
But, as usual I used another razor for the 2nd pass. My ss Karve with #F plate is really the bees-knees for me.
I really could sell all my other razors and just keep the Karve plus the selection of plates I have...#C to #G (SB) plates.

qv4VBZml.jpg

Soap: Parker - Sandalwood
Brush: Platypus
Razor: Rex Ambassador (3, 2.5)
Blade: Bolzano (3)
EDP: APR Mycroft

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Grooming Dept - Unum
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

Of the 20+ samples @rhodes96 so generously sent me, I was struggling to choose one to try. So I just closed my eyes and picked one at random, Unum from Grooming Dept. This is apparently made on their Lusso base which includes Jersey cow milk. The scent is nice, amber in the foreground, vanilla in the bottom notes - here's their list:
Incense, Labdanum, Frankincense, Myrrh, Vanilla, Honey, Amber, Precious Woods, Cedarwood Absolute, Tonka Bean, and Benzoin

Scent strength is a pleasant 5 or 6/10. I smeared the sample across the bottom of my bowl and left it to float in hot water for a while.(y) I found I was running out of lather by the end of the second pass (I was probably too parsimonious with my sample) but I needn't have worried, I was very close to a perfect BBS anyway. I could have skipped my usual post-shave routine too. (y)(y)

1.png

Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Grooming Dept - Unum

Of the 20+ samples @rhodes96 so generously sent me, I was struggling to choose one to try. So I just closed my eyes and picked one at random, Unum from Grooming Dept. This is apparently made on their Lusso base which includes Jersey cow milk. The scent is nice, amber in the foreground, vanilla in the bottom notes - here's their list:
Incense, Labdanum, Frankincense, Myrrh, Vanilla, Honey, Amber, Precious Woods, Cedarwood Absolute, Tonka Bean, and Benzoin

Scent strength is a pleasant 5 or 6/10. I smeared the sample across the bottom of my bowl and left it to float in hot water for a while.(y) I found I was running out of lather by the end of the second pass (I was probably too parsimonious with my sample) but I needn't have worried, I was very close to a perfect BBS anyway. I could have skipped my usual post-shave routine too. (y)(y)

Your thoughts on the scent? I haven't tried It. The scent notes look really nice and warm.

Your thoughts on the scent? I haven't tried It. The scent notes look really nice and warm.
You know I'm a peasant when it comes to scents :rolleyes: you're far better qualified to describe it. What I can say is that I like it. Yes, the general effect is warmth, great for a miserable day like today. The amber and woods come through nicely, but I didn't really notice the tonka bean. Nothing is overstated, just a great accord. Nice pick, you should try it. (y)

YSOTD
Pre
: Shower
Razor: Timeless 95
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Yaqi 2-Band Badger
Soap: Two Kings

51169843520_04da1a676e_b.jpg

What a shave!! been a while and it def didn’t disappoint, chucked a lighter handle (Rocca R94) and enjoyed the change.

SOTD
Pre
: Shower
Razor: R95
Blade: German Wilkie
Brush: FS 23mm G4
Soap: MdC Rose

51169531199_31359c7148_b.jpg
Is the Rocca head the same on the R94 and R95?

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Frank Shaving 28mm Best Badger 70mm handle
Soap:- Mammoth Soaps - Restore
Razor:- Merkur Progress @2
Blade :- Vintage Gillette Red (1)
Balm:- Mammoth Soaps - Restore

#SIMPLYRED
1ojr0A7.jpg

Late-night Shave

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter/APR ~ Texaus (Limited Edition)
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock SS Lupo 72 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soaps Bay Rum shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95 Birch Bark razor
Blade: Persona "Lab Blue' (2)
Post-shave: Stirling Soaps Bay Rum splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soaps Bay Rum EDT

Gotta have a little Bay Rum in the morning ...

ZCQfgull.jpg

IMG-20210509-173903.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
Razor: Muhle Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Gillette Minora (3) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: A&E Club Baccara (Kaizen 2) sample - - thanks @rhodes96
Post: Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion & Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS+ :eek:

Same setup and equally positive results. It appears that the Rocca has met its match as the Minora blade shaves smooth and super close with minimal regrowth 14+ hours later!

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: WCS - tortoise shell 26mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Fake Yellow light
Razor: Razorock - SS Lupo 95
Blade: Persona - Lab Blue (2)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Fake Yellow Lignt AS splash / A&E post shave nourishing cream.
Fragrance: Hanae Mori - Him

2 pass WTG = DFS daily shave. Good to be back into the daily shaves.

1.png

Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Grooming Dept - Charbon - Thanks @rhodes96 (y)

Figured today would be a good day to try this tallow-based soap while yesterday's cows-milk soap from the same stable was fresh in my mind. I sort of pride myself on having a bombproof lathering technique, but I nearly made a mess of it today. I started with half the sample (me being a soap miser, wonders will never cease :p), worked it up to a nice slick, shiny state, then the lather just collapsed. Bugger. :(

Managed to rescue it by smooshing the rest of the sample in my Rover bowl, then working the mess into that. Same as rescuing a curdled mayonnaise (y)So got there in the end, and it was worth it, a great shave. The scent is predominantly smoky and dark (though nowhere near as much so as NO Plunder). Sure enough, I sniffed some patchouli in there too :rolleyes: but the sleazy uncle didn't invite himself to dinner this time. :p

Here are the effect notes GD supply: Sichuan pepper, pink pepper, juniper berry, cedar wood, papyrus, coal accord, sandalwood, patchouli and leather. For once, I get all of those except for papyrus, no idea what that smells like. It's not a soap I would buy, but trying it is well worth it, much more subtle than Plunder.

1.png

Brush: Yaqi Rainbow Pony
Soap/Cream: Grooming Dept - Charbon - Thanks @rhodes96(y)

Figured today would be a good day to try this tallow-based soap while yesterday's cows-milk soap from the same stable was fresh in my mind. I sort of pride myself on having a bombproof lathering technique, but I nearly made a mess of it today. I started with half the sample (me being a soap miser, wonders will never cease :p), worked it up to a nice slick, shiny state, then the lather just collapsed. Bugger. :(

Managed to rescue it by smooshing the rest of the sample in my Rover bowl, then working the mess into that. Same as rescuing a curdled mayonnaise (y)So got there in the end, and it was worth it, a great shave. The scent is predominantly smoky and dark (though nowhere near as much so as NO Plunder). Sure enough, I sniffed some patchouli in there too :rolleyes: but the sleazy uncle didn't invite himself to dinner this time. :p

Here are the effect notes GD supply: Sichuan pepper, pink pepper, juniper berry, cedar wood, papyrus, coal accord, sandalwood, patchouli and leather. For once, I get all of those except for papyrus, no idea what that smells like. It's not a soap I would buy, but trying it is well worth it, much more subtle than Plunder.

Enjoying your soap reviews:)(y).

Papyrus gives a woody, smokey, leathery scent. Exactly as you described.(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.