Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
my first contribution to the SOTD 2021 thread

Pre-shave: shower then light application of King of Shaves gel while working up my lather
Bowl/Scuttle: small porcelain bowl
Brush: Omega 11150 Pure Bristle
Soap/Cream: TOBS Almond Shaving Cream
Razor/Blade: Ever-Ready 1912 with GEM blade
Post/After-shave: 1 - Colonel Conk styptic, 2 - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel, 3- Nivea for Sensitive Men (that's me) Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: A spritzing of RedOne Natural Cologne Lemon
Passes: 2-pass, WTG and XTG

it was a rough old shave tonight that left me sore with a few weepers so the styptic got a run. I've not had much use with these early 1900's SE's and as I'm just getting back into wetshaving it was a ballsy (read: dumb) move. I might take it out of my rotation for now and stick with DE's and the occasional GBar or injector shave so I can get my SE fix.

hope the pics meet site regs :)

[url=https://postimg.cc/RNjvRX6m][/URL]

20210130-203234.jpg

Picture perfect @Gargravarr

it was a rough old shave tonight that left me sore with a few weepers so the styptic got a run. I've not had much use with these early 1900's SE's and as I'm just getting back into wetshaving it was a ballsy (read: dumb) move.
I suspect your problem here might not be with the razor, but with the lather. You want to aim for slick and glossy, with tiny or invisible bubbles. I load up the brush with plenty of soap (and yes, TOBS will work just fine) and whip it up quite a lot before adding the first small drops of water. Making lather is like making mayonnaise: add too much oil at once and it'll curdle rather than making the emulsion you want.

I suspect your problem here might not be with the razor, but with the lather. You want to aim for slick and glossy, with tiny or invisible bubbles. I load up the brush with plenty of soap (and yes, TOBS will work just fine) and whip it up quite a lot before adding the first small drops of water. Making lather is like making mayonnaise: add too much oil at once and it'll curdle rather than making the emulsion you want.
you're probably right, I'll go check out the Lather Shots topic for inspiration, thanks (y)

8oqLbrY.jpg

Razor: King C Gillette DE
Blade: King C Gillette
Brush: Oumo 28mm TH
Soap: Dr Jon's - Tangerine Dream

First go with the new King C Gillette. I read in an interview with P&G that they did extensive testing on the design of the razor. Really? Because to me it just looks like a R89/DE89 head with a scalloped bottom plate. Shaves very mild, almost no blade feel and not too efficient either (left some rough bits on a 3 pass shave that the Rocca or Rockwell 6S(R6) would normally pick up and shave clean). No nicks or weepers though, so good beginners razor, but no where near efficient enough for me. I may keep it as a lender to some beginners as a gateway razor into wetshaving. The KCG blades are reputed to be rebadged Nacets. I believe it. Very smooth, though hampered by the narrow blade gap and design. I may give it a go with a feather, see if that improves the shave a bit.

This soap is starting to annoy me. Bits of soap are coming off the puck onto the brush and the more I try and smoosh down, the more bits break off. I'm temped to push it through a cheese grater to see if I can 'mould' it back into a solid shape again. Love the scent though. Really nice juicy and fresh orange, not too sweet and with a touch of menthol.

This soap is starting to annoy me. Bits of soap are coming off the puck onto the brush and the more I try and smoosh down, the more bits break off
I have the same issue with my Dr Jon’s Anne Bonny soap! Too crumbly and the puck doesn’t weld back together nice with lathering, smooshing or pressing down.

The scent is great though, and the performance is perfectly fine as well. I wondered whether the metal tin (vs plastic tub) is part of the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Jubilee LE 19/150 shave brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Empire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (2)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap Empire splash
Fragrance: N/A

Still great on day 2! and GOD save the Queen!

1zyqGVWl.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Jubilee LE 19/150 shave brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap Empire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (2)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap Empire splash
Fragrance: N/A

Still great on day 2! and GOD save the Queen!

1zyqGVWl.jpg
FTFY

RAZOR: S K Colling & CO 5/8" custom
CREAM: C&E Sienna
BRUSH: Jack the Barber synthetic knot
STROP: Dovo double sided hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: YSL Kouros

20210131_103803-jpg.1215872

A great shave for a relaxed Sunday, I'll post the review today.

"YSL Kouros" - they still make that? One of the firs colognes I received as a gift way back when ...

This soap is starting to annoy me. Bits of soap are coming off the puck onto the brush and the more I try and smoosh down, the more bits break off. I'm temped to push it through a cheese grater to see if I can 'mould' it back into a solid shape again. Love the scent though. Really nice juicy and fresh orange, not too sweet and with a touch of menthol.

That sounds very unusual for a Dr Jons soap. Normally they are fairly hard and smooth inside the puck. Is the place your keeping your soaps quite warm ? Is your brush loaded with enough water?

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Hamami
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- N/A

Is the place your keeping your soaps quite warm ? Is your brush loaded with enough water?

Just a regular bathroom in Inner West Sydney, in the cabinet under the sink. It's the coolest part of the bathroom. I load my brush with a similar amount of water I use for every soap. Some harder soaps I use more water and softer soaps, less. This soap is breaking off the puck like parmesan cheese. I'm resorting to smooshing the broken bits together into the bottom of a lather bowl and bowl lathering instead. It's just annoying. Once I get the lather going though, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.