AFTERSHAVE: CK Escape
ePam8DWh.jpg

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" piggy-wig
Soap: Vintage Yardley
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Monarch shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 'Slim' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (6)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Monarch splash
Fragrance: N/A

Sorry, no pic, but ...

Lu8natV.png

Blackland Brassbird OC / Gillette‌ 7 O'clock Yellow
Elite Razor Fire & Ice 24mm Manchurian White Fan
DG Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Shaving Soap & Afters
have

You have brushes to match your soaps!

#respect

s.png

Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, C&S Oxford & Cambridge Cologne

A good definition for "sybaritic" is this combo of brush and soap. Utter luxury. :love:

dvmnKB1.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Semogue SOC ‘Mistura’
Soap: Squadron ‘Ace’
Razor: Bengall straight, GC .84 for tidy up
Blade: Bengall straight, Wizamet (2)
Post-shave: Alum block, RR Emperor, Armaf ‘Club de Nuit’

My third or fourth attempt at shaving with a straight. The razor was honed by one of the best in the business, but after I have stropped it a few times it doesn't feel sharp enough to me.
I have no point of reference, as this is my first straight, and part of the problem is no doubt that I am still learning the angles, grips and general gymnastics to get the blade on my face.
Anyway, I stropped it for 150 laps on my old leather strop, and although it will shave arm hairs it won't 'tree top' . A Naniwa 12K 'Super stone' was suggested, so perhaps I have to give it a little touch up when I get that to correct any issues I may have created with my initial stropping efforts. I am sure it came honed perfectly, any issues are at this end.

Still, this shave went much better than the previous efforts. I managed to get both cheeks done nicely, the left side using a Kamisori(ish) grip. Got to some parts of my neck but this is where I get very nervous and under the jawline is no better. I did manage to get most of my chin done. The lather was pretty thick and creamy so perhaps I also need to try some different soaps to get the right glide. But... no blood was drawn! Tidied up with the Game Changer and felt a fair bit of sting from the alum so must have got pretty close. The 24 hour check will tell.

Last edited:
s.png

Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Castle Forbes Lavender
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, C&S Oxford & Cambridge Cologne

A good definition for "sybaritic" is this combo of brush and soap. Utter luxury. :love:

I thought I had a decent vocabulary, but I had to look it up

'loving or involving expensive things and pleasure"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sybaritic

So you are saying it was a decent shave then?

My third or fourth attempt at shaving with a straight. The razor was honed by one of the best in the business, but after I have stropped it a few times it doesn't feel sharp enough to me.
I have no point of reference, as this is my first straight, and part of the problem is no doubt that I am still learning the angles, grips and general gymnastics to get the blade on my face.
Anyway, I stropped it for 150 laps on my old leather strop, and although it will shave arm hairs it won't 'tree top' . A Naniwa 12K 'Super stone' was suggested, so perhaps I have to give it a little touch up when I get that to correct any issues I may have created with my initial stropping efforts. I am sure it came honed perfectly, any issues are at this end.

Still, this shave went much better than the previous efforts. I managed to get both cheeks done nicely, the left side using a Kamisori(ish) grip. Got to some parts of my neck but this is where I get very nervous and under the jawline is no better. I did manage to get most of my chin done. The lather was pretty thick and creamy so perhaps I also need to try some different soaps to get the right glide. But... no blood was drawn! Tidied up with the Game Changer and felt a fair bit of sting from the alum so must have got pretty close. The 24 hour check will tell.

@bernie01 the best advice I read when learning was to take it slowly and learn good technique before moving onto the next challenge. I started with just sideburns and cheeks for 4 - 6 weeks than moved onto neck, chin and finally upper lip progressively and only when confident. Similarly only use the stroke (WTG, XTG, ATG) you are comfortable and confident with until attempting the next. Are you noticing the BBS straight shave is challenging DE results? Good technique and confidence will come with practice.

Are you noticing the BBS straight shave is challenging DE results? Good technique and confidence will come with practice.
No, not yet! I've watched a couple of videos since posting above, and even lathered up my already shaved face and tried using my left hand to remove the lather with another old and blunt razor. Surprisingly, I went pretty well using my left so next time I will incorporate that into my fledging repertoire. Thank you for the tips, sounds like solid advice so I will follow it.

dvmnKB1.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Semogue SOC ‘Mistura’
Soap: Squadron ‘Ace’
Razor: Bengall straight, GC .84 for tidy up
Blade: Bengall straight, Wizamet (2)
Post-shave: Alum block, RR Emperor, Armaf ‘Club de Nuit’

The two main ways that a n00bie dulls his SR are by using a too high an angle when shaving and incorrect dropping technique. If you SR was professionally honed, you shouldn't stop it before your first shave with it.

Too high a shave angle will quickly dull an edge. Forget that 30° BS that many say on YT. You should be shaving with the blade's spine about ½ to 1 spine thickness off the skin. The sharper the edge, the flatter the angle.

As for stropping, again forget what you see on YT. You should be holding the stop reasonably taught and stropping with only about the blade's weight as pressure. You should see basically no deflection in the strop while stropping.

It sounds as though your edge has already been dulled. No amount of stropping is going to return the edge to its original condition. Stropping does not hone a blade. To get the edge back, the edge will need refreshing on honing medium (whetstone or lapping film).

Status
Not open for further replies.