Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you didnt use animal brushes? or are you just enjoy pork too much :)
I don't use badgers, for a variety of reasons I won't rehearse here, but I am happy enough to try boar brushes again for the same reason I still wear leather shoes. (I don't wear badger shoes :) ) Just a matter of where you draw your lines.

I don't use badgers, for a variety of reasons I won't rehearse here, but I am happy enough to try boar brushes again for the same reason I still wear leather shoes. (I don't wear badger shoes :) ) Just a matter of where you draw your lines.

If your willing to try another Boar I highly recommend this one.. @Holiday recommended this to me and its my favourite boar

Perfect size, super comfortable, looks amazing and cheap as chips

Zenith unbleached boar olive wood handle

Spending last week moving house, I didn't have the time for normal pre and post shave blade maintenance. I have been shaving with a generic Chinese stainless steel shavette with Feather Hi-Stainless DE half-blade. It was a pleasure to shave with this razor and blade. I also learnt that most of my traditional SR's need a little more work to get their edges up to that of Feather blades.

full

Yesterday I moved into a hotel while inbetween houses. This morning I returned to my usual routine with traditional SR's.

Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70, face lathered with tallow Tabac. WTG + XTG (with fool's pass) + XTG opposite direction produced my expected DFS+ result.

full

Much more forgiving than the shavette. It required a little more work to get the same result but that just extended my shaving enjoyment.

Last edited:
Today's shave:

Feather Popular with Cloud blade.

Blue Devil Summertime Breeze full strength shave soap

Blue devil Summertime Breeze splash.

Bowl - prototype Blue Devil Huon Pine shave bowl.

I have been using the feather popular for a few weeks now, overall getting good results. I have paired it with the Cloud blade and I have gotta say, this is a great pairing.

Blue Devil Summertime Breeze is now my favourite scent, I am really liking menthol in my soaps nowadays.

The prototype bowl was magnificent... Easy to get a lather going and I really like the waves at the bottom.

If your willing to try another Boar I highly recommend this one.. @Holiday recommended this to me and its my favourite boar

Perfect size, super comfortable, looks amazing and cheap as chips

Zenith unbleached boar olive wood handle
Yeah, I've been looking at those Zenith brushes, they seem to be well regarded. I just want something to occupy my unobtainium Forgotten Art handle, and I like my synthetics a little bigger. It looks like it should be pretty easy to get that knot out of the Zenith handle.

Yeah, I've been looking at those Zenith brushes, they seem to be well regarded. I just want something to occupy my unobtainium Forgotten Art handle, and I like my synthetics a little bigger. It looks like it should be pretty easy to get that knot out of the Zenith handle.

Hmmm not sure how easy it would be to get out without destroying that handle, and why do that when the handle is so nice to hold and look at. It really is stunning

I can also highly recommend the ZENITH unbleached bristle olive wood handle 506U XSE. At time of recommending this to @StratMan I had not tried an Omega 10098 but have since and they do not compare the 10098 has a plastic handle and floppy knot in comparison. If you want a fatter boar knot there is always the Chubby Scrubby and if I was looking for a 28mm boar knot and did not want to break a handle would go with Elite Razors 28mm boar

Happy hunting

I can also highly recommend the ZENITH unbleached bristle olive wood handle 506U XSE. At time of recommending this to @StratMan I had not tried an Omega 10098 but have since and they do not compare the 10098 has a plastic handle and floppy knot in comparison. If you want a fatter boar knot there is always the Chubby Scrubby and if I was looking for a 28mm boar knot and did not want to break a handle would go with Elite Razors 28mm boar

Happy hunting
I don't need a 28mm knot so much as a 26mm that really is a 26mm, not a 24mm in a 28mm collar. Thanks for the suggestions, though (y):D

#SilkySmooth

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vintage Simpson Butterscotch #8 with original knot
Soap:- Vintage NOS Old Spice in "Ship Recovery Salem 1794" milk glass mug
Razor:- 66' Slim L1 @ 3
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (4)
Aftershave:- Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice

CLycTh7.jpg

These vintage Simpson knots have a particularly soft and silky texture similar to a well broken in boar without becoming sloppy noodles. An absolute silky delight to face lather.
The sharpness has gone from the Aussie Spoiler making the shave experience even smoother. The Gillette Slim dialed in for perfect blade feel and chatter.

#SilkySmooth

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vintage Simpson Butterscotch #8 with original knot
Soap:- Vintage NOS Old Spice in "Ship Recovery Salem 1794" milk glass mug
Razor:- 66' Slim L1 @ 3
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (4)
Aftershave:- Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice

CLycTh7.jpg

These vintage Simpson knots have a particularly soft and silky texture similar to a well broken in boar without becoming sloppy noodles. An absolute silky delight to face lather.
The sharpness has gone from the Aussie Spoiler making the shave experience even smoother. The Gillette Slim dialed in for perfect blade feel and chatter.

Was all down hill in SOOOOOOOO many ways since '66 ;)

/ Yaqi Everest
/ Mystic Water Jeff's Lavender sample
/ Muhle Rocca R95
/ Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum Black (2)
/ The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner

Ah Mystic Water, thought I had you but that last bit of water turned you into cappuccino froth. Still decent, just not as good as I know you could be.

...Ah Mystic Water, thought I had you but that last bit of water turned you into cappuccino froth. Still decent, just not as good as I know you could be.
Yeah, MW takes a bit of care to get the lather just right, but it's worth it. Loading really heavily helps, and I'm in the habit of adding water by sprinkling drops onto the brush (or into the bowl if I'm using it) with my fingertips, it makes it easy to calibrate just right. I could send you some more of that soap if you like, I've got plenty.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Stirling Gentlemen shaving soap
Razor: Charcoal Goods P&C Charity Auction LE Prototype Stinger
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Stirling Gentlemen splash
Fragrance: Miller Harris Feuille de Tabac

Still as good on day two!

Fr5ioHMl.jpg

WOW @klinker - that is another great shot!

[just doing that time travel thing again - and I know it will be true!]

Status
Not open for further replies.