Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
WR2 1.25
Wizamet
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
Razorock Blue Label stick
Olive Oil + Irish Countryside Splash

Gave the RR stick one more go as you can see got an very nice looking lather quite easily, but looks can be deceiving.. lather looked and felt good on the skin but the WR2 doesnt lie, it was lacking in protection and resulted in a slightly unformattable result, the olive oil was a god send.. Had enough of this stick, gave it more than a go and now its time to hang up the boots!!

As for the brush :love:

52323626189_56fcd3ba10_b.jpg

52323637885_48195fcba7_c.jpg
I find the Razorock triple milled soaps are great for straight razors and thats about it. Smell good though!

I would of thought it would of been worse for a SE? but then again I have never used one so just guessing.. so is a straight razor a smoother shave than DE?
Not necessarily, but hard soaps generally have less cushion, but more slickness, which is often preferred by straight shavers. Personally, I'm not that keen on the RR hard soaps, but they do come at a great price point (often free from VSHOD), so there's that...

Not necessarily, but hard soaps generally have less cushion, but more slickness, which is often preferred by straight shavers. Personally, I'm not that keen on the RR hard soaps, but they do come at a great price point (often free from VSHOD), so there's that...

ok that makes sense, original fine soap is somewhat similar but has a bit more protection than RR.. so big kudos for tallow tabac then, the hard tripled milled soap that has it all (y)

I would of thought it would of been worse for a SE? but then again I have never used one so just guessing.. so is a straight razor a smoother shave than DE?
That was my original thought too, but all the soaps that work well for me with a DE have a thicker and very slick lather, but the ones that aren't great are thinner and still extremely slick. I find the thicker lathers tend to hinder the straights more than the thinner stuff. You can make an artisan soap a thinner lather, with water, but it loses that slickness. This is all YMMV obviously

That was my original thought too, but all the soaps that work well for me with a DE have a thicker and very slick lather, but the ones that aren't great are thinner and still extremely slick. I find the thicker lathers tend to hinder the straights more than the thinner stuff. You can make an artisan soap a thinner lather, with water, but it loses that slickness. This is all YMMV obviously

def agree with you on what works with DE.. but for SE have to take your word on it, no way I am every gonna SE shave

SOTD – WED 31 AUG 2022
Aussie Wednesday featured soap is Stuga Australia – “Blood Orange”. Stuga soaps are vegetal based with coconut oil and goat’s milk, the soap comes as 85gm pucks and you can specify a scent strength (regular, double or triple), I normally specify double which cost AU$27.95 per puck and as hard soap they provide twice the value so that equates “Exceptional” Bang-for-Buck value.

SOTD-20220831-setup.png

Shave Result: Stuga soap is hard but is easy to slice a small portion off the puck (about 1.5gm) that I then pressed into the bottom of my bowl before proceeding with my normal bowl lathering process. The resulting lather was lovely rich, creamy, medium density with excellent primary slickness, but the residual could be better. Lather scent is a pleasant aroma of oranges with a background of coconut, scent strength 4/10. First shave with the TRC razor which felt mild but efficient with just a little touch of blade feel,result was a smooth clean DFS.

🎥Shave VIDEO🎥

THE GEAR:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave cream
+ Brush: Fuko Shaving “Triffid” with APShave 26mm Cashmere [A]
+ Soap: Stuga Australia - “Blood Orange” [A]
+ Bowl: Whisper From The Woods [A]
+ Razor: The Razor Company AL (TRC) produced by SimpleCleanShave (USA)
+ Blade: Wizamet Iridium (1)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol
+ Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
+ After Shave: 4711 AS
+ Moisturiser: Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser for Men [A]
[A] = Australian Made

sorry mate, i meant it as Straight Edge without thinking about it too much.. yeah I have tried a couple of single edge already the vector in Ti and Hawke OC in SS, felt like i was raking my face :)
And this from the master of the R41. :rolleyes: Maybe it comes down to the quality of our prep; I should have thought the SE would have been ideal for Mediterranean whiskers... :LOL:

1veGT22.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: H.L. Thäter 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Barrister and Mann Sandalwood
Razor: Blutt BR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Nelum Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood EDC

Better @Gargravarr :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:
uIEltV0.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- SMILEZ4MILEZ Honeycomb with Declaration Grooming B3 26mm knot
Razor:- Monocero Husaria MIX
Blade:- Vintage Gillette - London Bridge - Made in England (8)
Soap/Aftershave:- Reef Point Soaps - Command Presence

And this from the master of the R41. :rolleyes: Maybe it comes down to the quality of our prep; I should have thought the SE would have been ideal for Mediterranean whiskers... :LOL:

go figure right.. funny thing I found with the Vector Ti was that the shave 'felt' rough enough to cause irritation but I was left with BBS and ZERO irritation issues.. couldnt work that one out.. the Hawk also had that rough feeling while but no issues at all with the shave, in fact both shaves were top notch... was just the feeling during shaving

we'll guess what.. u know how I had my next RAD fix coming with a WR1 in bronze? well a bloody blackbird has suddenly flown into this argument and I dunno which to go for :unsure:

DE89
BIC
TroyCraft 26mm 'Gold Top' 2-Band Badger
Tabac Soap + Olive Oil / Splash

got out my first ever purchased razor this morning and loaded it up with a BIC.. Very smooth and enjoyable shave but didnt get me to the land of BBS but a respectable DFS+. Mind you it took an extra ATG pass with buffing but no irritation.. enjoyable but definitely need more efficiency in my razors

52324719487_0c4ed86751_b.jpg

IMG-20220901-115126.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" Ω piggy-wig
Soap: McC Rose - thanks @Hos (y)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

Kicking off my Samples September with the MdC, which I thought I had finished, but obviously not. MdC is great stuff, I could easily exist with just this in the den. It doesn't have too much in the way of cushion, but lots of slickness, and that's how I like it. (y)

go figure right.. funny thing I found with the Vector Ti was that the shave 'felt' rough enough to cause irritation but I was left with BBS and ZERO irritation issues.. couldnt work that one out..
As a matter of interest, what blades were you using? I find the Kai PINK has a less welcoming presence, but the Proline nice and smooth. I can't help you with the decision, except to say that many feel the Blackbird makes its presence felt but gives a great shave. I don't believe Blackland make any bad razors. But I have a feeling you'll end up not regretting your first instinct with the wolfperson. If in doubt, get both... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.