Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a matter of interest, what blades were you using? I find the Kai PINK has a less welcoming presence, but the Proline nice and smooth. I can't help you with the decision, except to say that many feel the Blackbird makes its presence felt but gives a great shave. I don't believe Blackland make any bad razors. But I have a feeling you'll end up not regretting your first instinct with the wolfperson. If in doubt, get both... :p

I used a chinese no name brand but also the proline and didnt find much difference between the two.. it could well be how I actually shaved with both SE razors and maybe just needed more time to adjust my technique to the razors.. dunno

I would love to get both but funds dictate otherwise, and while on the topic.. i really dont NEED any razors at all but after all this time in a suppressed state, that little thing called RAD has come back to bite and bitten hard it certainly has and @neongas hasnt helped :p

I used a chinese no name brand but also the proline and didnt find much difference between the two.. it could well be how I actually shaved with both SE razors and maybe just needed more time to adjust my technique to the razors.. dunno

The Chinese No-Name is adequate (for a day) but no way to introduce yourself to the world of AC razors. But IIRC you're next in line to try the Claymore, so you get the chance to try again. I think it more or less forces you into just one shaving angle, so all you have to do from there is keep the pressure off. I think... :unsure:

RIyvLR8.jpg

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: Truefitt & Hill Unscented
Brush: SOC Finest Badger
Razor: Filarmonica EPBD

pzCIuP3.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- SMILEZ4MILEZ Honeycomb with Declaration Grooming B3 26mm knot
Razor:- Monocero Husaria MIX
Blade:- Vintage Gillette - London Bridge - Made in England (9)
Soap/Aftershave:- Reef Point Soaps - Command Presence

SEptember SOTM - shave #1

IMG-20220828-141949.jpg

All this talk of RAD from @StratMan has me sharing in his pain as a while back I was struggling to decide/justify what razor to purchase next but thankfully "wiser heads" convinced me to try an SE AC style razor and I haven't looked back!
So since its SEptember I've dedicated this month to using only my SE razors and continuing to working my way through old soaps and splashes with Squadrons GCB such a wonderful scent and great performing soap...

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

IMG-20220828-141949.jpg

All this talk of RAD from @StratMan has me sharing in his pain as a while back I was struggling to decide/justify what razor to purchase next but thankfully "wiser heads" convinced me to try an SE AC style razor and I haven't looked back!
So since its SEptember I've dedicated this month to using only my SE razors and continuing to working my way through old soaps and splashes with Squadrons GCB such a wonderful scent and great performing soap...

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Im happy it's worked out well for u mate, I've gone through some 'first world' pain but reckon I've made the right choice also..

Nothing better than getting honest feedback from valued forum members.. all we can do is ask and try make the best guestimate from that.. end off the day too many contributing factors that make up YMMV for itbto be a perfect science

Big thanks to all forum members, contributors and those that make it all tick along (@Monsta_AU).. without u guys a lot of us wouldn't be as wise as we are today 👍

IMG-20220901-142951.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm DSCosmetic G7
Soap: McC Rose - thanks @Hos (y)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

I had imagined there would be a couple more shaves in this sample, but this beast of a knot just obliterated it. :( I'm obviously going to have to watch out for that...

Muhle R41
BIC
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
B&M Seville
Olive Oil

Thought a shave with the R41 would put any blade forward questions at ease :) Four passes W, X, A, A left nothing behind and have to say quite a smooth shave with the BIC, no irritation at all. The weight of the brass yaqi handle brings the total weight to 94g which matches the SS Bird perfectly.. this can only mean one thing (y)

52328317043_dd47abd14d_b.jpg

Muhle R41
BIC
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
B&M Seville
Olive Oil

Thought a shave with the R41 would put any blade forward questions at ease :) Four passes W, X, A, A left nothing behind and have to say quite a smooth shave with the BIC, no irritation at all. The weight of the brass yaqi handle brings the total weight to 94g which matches the SS Bird perfectly.. this can only mean one thing (y)

52328317043_dd47abd14d_b.jpg
How’s the olive oil coming along?

I like the idea of S.E.ptember and will keep this in mind for next year because I had already committed to P&C Charity month before sending the WR1 OC to @StratMan
SOTM thanks to P&C Charity auctions and generous donations from members
OTpGEwK.jpg

2021 - Wolfman stainless steel WR1 OC with WR2 Handle and WRA1 Stand
2020 - DC Blades 8/8” P&C TKM 2020 straight razor and matching brush
2020 - DC Blades Custom Kangaroo & Cotton Strop
2019 - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2018 - One of a kind Squadron Soap Splash & Soap
What will 2022 add to the den :unsure:
bh8Gjzy.png

I like the idea of S.E.ptember and will keep this in mind for next year because I had already committed to P&C Charity month before sending the WR1 OC to @StratMan
SOTM thanks to P&C Charity auctions and generous donations from members
OTpGEwK.jpg

2021 - Wolfman stainless steel WR1 OC with WR2 Handle and WRA1 Stand
2020 - DC Blades 8/8” P&C TKM 2020 straight razor and matching brush
2020 - DC Blades Custom Kangaroo & Cotton Strop
2019 - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2018 - One of a kind Squadron Soap Splash & Soap
What will 2022 add to the den :unsure:
bh8Gjzy.png

That's one fantastic collection and money well spent good sir! (y)

Im happy it's worked out well for u mate, I've gone through some 'first world' pain but reckon I've made the right choice also..

Nothing better than getting honest feedback from valued forum members.. all we can do is ask and try make the best guestimate from that.. end off the day too many contributing factors that make up YMMV for itbto be a perfect science

Big thanks to all forum members, contributors and those that make it all tick along (@Monsta_AU).. without u guys a lot of us wouldn't be as wise as we are today 👍
Always happy to offer some insight and lend the odd razor in the name of "wet shaving'' science and echo your praise of P&C and the big kahuna @Monsta_AU, the moderators, greater community and generous contributors to pass arounds, PIFs and most importantly Fund Raisers such as the traditional Charity Auction dedicated to dearly departed members and supporting the Cancer Council. These last few years P&C has been an invaluable place of positivity in an otherwise chaotic world and for that I'm truly greatful. :love:

Not to mention invaluable contributions from @Errol and his famous Weekly Razor Reviews which have assisted many in making an educated purchase and speaking from experience he's largely spot on with his assessments with the odd curveball such as the Rocca V4 but he's only human so I look forward to seeing what direction you go with and here's hoping the new razor ticks all the right boxes and provides endless Happy Shaves!!!

IMG-20220901-142951.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm DSCosmetic G7
Soap: McC Rose - thanks @Hos(y)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Thayer's witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

I had imagined there would be a couple more shaves in this sample, but this beast of a knot just obliterated it. :( I'm obviously going to have to watch out for that...
Its surprising how big a difference a different knot can make to a brush and I'm really curious to try the G7 knot as a replacement for one of my below par badger brushes but have shied away so great job with the transformation. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.