Not open for further replies.
ArW4tbo.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Billy Goat brushworks ‘Sunset’
Soap: Fine Accroutrements ‘L’Orange Noir’
Razor: Cadman & Sons Bengall straight, GC .84 for tidy up
Blade: Wizamet (5)
Post-shave: Alum block, RR Emperor, Jovan Musk

Today I noticed that the blade is horizontal on my face with my left hand, but canted 30 degrees or so with my right. Then the penny dropped, 8 or so years ago I came off my bicycle big time and fractured my clavicle (collarbone) and scapula (shoulder blade) on the RHS. I've never really noticed much restriction in range of movement before, at least after the first 3 months of healing was over. I'll try and accommodate the restriction in future shaves. I am managing to cover more of my dial with the straight, and the clean up with the GC is over pretty quickly.
Pleasantly surprised how it's progressing.

ArW4tbo.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Billy Goat brushworks ‘Sunset’
Soap: Fine Accroutrements ‘L’Orange Noir’
Razor: Cadman & Sons Bengall straight, GC .84 for tidy up
Blade: Wizamet (5)
Post-shave: Alum block, RR Emperor, Jovan Musk

Today I noticed that the blade is horizontal on my face with my left hand, but canted 30 degrees or so with my right. Then the penny dropped, 8 or so years ago I came off my bicycle big time and fractured my clavicle (collarbone) and scapula (shoulder blade) on the RHS. I've never really noticed much restriction in range of movement before, at least after the first 3 months of healing was over. I'll try and accommodate the restriction in future shaves. I am managing to cover more of my dial with the straight, and the clean up with the GC is over pretty quickly.
Pleasantly surprised how it's progressing.

... and you DIDN"T use that grater on your face?

PHEW!

I was a little worried when I say it in your SOTD pic ...

usWvs9W.jpg

Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, Pepper
Brush: Semogue 1800 Boar
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Super Professional
Post post: Triumph & Disaster Gameface

First use of the Hawk - on loan from the generous @Gargravarr - shipped recently by @Holiday. Thanks guys. An evening shave on this occasion, so as not to rush tomorrow, making it an unusual experience for starters.

What about the Hawk?… Wow. That was unquestionably a new and enjoyable experience. The stiff wider blade feels quite different producing a very efficient and close shave. Far superior to what I recall with my Mongoose. Will give this a few more goes. Seems a great razor.

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap / APR Australians All shaving soap
Razor: Charcoal Goods P&C Charity Auction LE Prototype Stinger
Blade: Iridium Super (1)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap / APR Australians All splash
Fragrance: N/A

Figured that this was the week for it

31FbKufl.jpg

JAWS
Minora
TroyCraft 26mm 2-Band Badger
THE NOIR ET VANILLE soap/splash combo

Been a while since I took the JAWS for a spin and first time with a Minora.. Amazingly smooth and super efficient shave with 3 standard passes. The scent on this is one of my favourites, the scent of black tea mixed with vanilla is just heavenly :)

51837852222_316a6cabcd_b.jpg

Pw9PsfOl.jpg

Soap: Pb Phoenix
Brush: Omega 10098
Razor: Rocnel Elite
Blade: Dorco ST301 (1) shimmed
Cracker of a shave with the Rocnel. The Dorco doesn't fit well in the Rocnel (the Rocnel was designed for the Feather blades) and it needed a little convincing to remove but it performed very well.
I haven't used Phoenix for many months as it has been packed away so it was very enjoyable to return to the mentholated smokey orange scent.
Our two orange trees have had a brilliant season this summer. Normally we favour one over the other for flavour and sweetness but this year they both produced a bumper crop which we've enjoyed juicing for ourselves and friends.

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5B
Soap: Mike's Natural - Hungarian Lavender sample - Thanks @Mark1966 (y)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, Avène Sunscreen Aqua-Fluid SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

Mmmm, this soap is nice, an easy, slick lather and my favourite scent. What's not to like...

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Hoffritz 21mm Pure Badger
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Razor:- Hoffritz Slant
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (3)
Aftershave:- Le Pere Lucien - Lotion du Barbier

dBRyPjE.jpg

I still enjoy a good slant shave. The "Gilette Slide" doesn't quite produce the same effect because of the added blade torque in a slant.

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Hoffritz 21mm Pure Badger
Soap:- Le Pere Lucien - Le Savon du Barbier
Razor:- Hoffritz Slant
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (3)
Aftershave:- Le Pere Lucien - Lotion du Barbier

dBRyPjE.jpg

I still enjoy a good slant shave. The "Gilette Slide" doesn't quite produce the same effect because of the added blade torque in a slant.
What's the Hoffritz like compared to the Wunderbar? Do you like the Le Pere Lucien?

What's the Hoffritz like compared to the Wunderbar? Do you like the Le Pere Lucien?
Hoffritz is not as aggressive as the Wunderbar but not stainless either.
The Pere Lucien to my nose has a mild Linen scent with a bit of mint. I suspect a lot of the original herbaceous scent may have dissipated due to the age of this sample
A very dense lather and decent residual slickness. The coconut and glycerin base is dry and dense in comparison to modern slick Artisan soaps with their multitude of fatty acids

Hoffritz is not as aggressive as the Wunderbar but not stainless either.
The Pere Lucien to my nose has a mild Linen scent with a bit of mint. I suspect a lot of the original herbaceous scent may have dissipated due to the age of this sample
A very dense lather and decent residual slickness. The coconut and glycerin base is dry and dense in comparison to modern slick Artisan soaps with their multitude of fatty acids
Thanks Holiday. I like to pull the Le Pere Lucien out every now and again but I don't find it a brilliant performer. Quite happy to use it with DE's but not so keen on it with straights. Do you use it with straights? Do you differentiate between soaps as far as performance that suits DE's/straights?

Thanks Holiday. I like to pull the Le Pere Lucien out every now and again but I don't find it a brilliant performer. Quite happy to use it with DE's but not so keen on it with straights. Do you use it with straights? Do you differentiate between soaps as far as performance that suits DE's/straights?
Cheers @Pbgoose I did use Le Pere Lucien this weekend just passed with a straight and while I had no negative results the shave was not as smooth as with preferred soap for straight shaving currently GFT Spanish Leather. I have a definite preference for creamy slickness when straight shaving. Many reviews regard Tabac tallow to be preferred by many straight shavers and I agree it is good but for me this is baseline and there are so many better including GFT, M&M, DG and many others I have not tried yet including PB Shave from what I read ;)

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soap / APR Australians All shaving soap
Razor: Charcoal Goods P&C Charity Auction LE Prototype Stinger
Blade: Iridium Super (2)
Post-shave: Squadron Soap / APR Australians All splash
Fragrance: N/A

Do you ever get to the end of a shave and realise that you have no recollection of actually shaving? It just kinda happened?

Too many things going on maybe? Distracted while shaving? Not sure that this is a great thing?

31FbKufl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.