Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Simpson LE 19/150 Jubilee Shaving Brush [see review here]
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette British Aristocrat OC razor [see history here]
Blade: British Wilkinson Sword Chromium Plated (3)
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire splash/balm
Fragrance: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire solid cologne

All England, #nationaldaymourning

ylWBQZCl.jpg

Monday 19 September

The daily stress of having to decide on which SR to shave with was starting to wear me down. I made an executive decision and decided to spend the week shaving with my English M7DS.

full

Wednesday 21 September

The best laid plans of mice and men. The day before (Tuesday), I received a new Titan ACRO T.H-70 to hone for a member. This I did and of course I had to give it its shave test on Wednesday morning. It passed with flying colours. So much so that I feel a need to re-hone my own T.H-70 SRs to get them up to the same standard.

full

Thursday 22 September

On Wednesday I received my first Russian SR, a STIZ factory UTRO, ⅝ round point with a happy smile. It was in reasonable condition with some light surface rust that was easily removed with some fine W&D. A polish with Autosol soon brought it up to looking like new. I reset the compound bevel to a normal bevel and then put this SR through a careful full honing progression on lapping film to finish off with a diamond pasted balsa strop progression. The blade ended up with a 14.9° bevel angle, my most acute. This morning was my first shave with this SR.

full

Another great success. I was thinking that the more acute bevel angle may not hold up against my silken whiskers, however there was no problem. I will keep maintaining this edge on hanging diamond pasted balsa after each shave.

I will keep my eye out for more of these UTRO Russian SRs. It would be nice to have a M7DS or at least a weekend set.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get back to my planned English M7DS.

SOTD – WED 21 SEP 2022

SEptember, AussieWednesday : with Traditional Barbers “Shave Cream”. The 200g jar of shave cream is readily available from the “Shaver Shop” stores around Australia and it also comes in a larger 400g jar. The shave cream is made by Wahl Australia P/L in QLD. The Traditional Barbers cream is very economical, the 200gm tubs are AU$15.00 which equates to“Awesome” value in my bang-for-buck guide.

SOTD-20220921-setup.png

Shave Result: Used a generous scoop of cream (about 4.0g) placed in the bottom of my lathering bowl and proceeded with my normal bowl lathering method to produced a nice medium density lather, but it was slightly airy. Lather performance was pretty good, it was slick, protective and has good residual, I rate this a lower second Tier performer and worth a try, but it does contain Parabens. The lather scent was an OK synthetic barbershop aroma with some citrus, powder and soapy aroma, scent strength 5/10. Used the Leaf razor to shave majority of my face and the Twig to clean up under the nose. Overall an easy going smooth shave, just a bit of lower neck irritation which I believe was caused by the Perm-Sharp SE blades in the Leaf razor slots 2 & 3, next shave (Friday) I’ll change them.

🎥Shave VIDEO🎥

THE GEAR:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave cream
+ Brush: Billy Goat “Picasso” with 26mm Synthetic 2Band [A]
+ Soap: Traditional Barbers (Wahl) Shave Cream [A]
+ Bowl: Whisper From The Woods [A]
+ Razor: Leaf SE (3-blades) and Twig SE (1-blade)
+ Blade: 2xWizamet SE + 2xGillette Perma-Sharp SE
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol
+ Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
+ After Shave: Imperial Leather AS
+ Moisturiser: Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser for Men [A]
[A] = Australian Made

IMG-20220903-150017.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5A
Soap: Yaqi Lemon Lime and Cedarwood sample -Thanks @Wilkshire13 (y)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Thayers witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD Mocha Matari, Yemen

Getting a bit more used to the menthol hit now (maybe just numb). I don't think I'll ever be da menth head though. A little bit is left in the tin that will just do for tomorrow, and then my samples will be all gone.

A royal shave in honour of our late queen EIIR

e5Fd9ic.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Simpson Jubilee QEII 130/150
Soap:- GFT -Spanish Leather (GFT Honoured with the Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria and five subsequent monarchs)
Razor:- ERN 1520 - Crown & Sword

I really need a set of Squadron EmPIRE but the aftershave has been out of stock for months

Last edited:
7FDmoIu.png

RAZOR: Blackland Brassbird OC 101mm Handle
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdgeYellow
BRUSH: AP Shave Co. 26mm G5C Semi-Transparent Yellow Handle
LATHER: Zingari Man The Watchman Sego Shaving Soap
POST: Zingari Man The Watchman Aftershave Recovery Splash

Y8rU0vi.jpeg

SOTN 22.09.22
/ Oumo Cove G5
/ Blue Devil Peach & Pear
/ Blackland Blackbird
/ GIllette Nacet (1)
/ The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
/ Nivea Skin & Stubble

Try Nacet in the Blackbird @StratMan . Very close shave.

Will try it for sure and while we are at it, try a feather in it @neongas. I shaved with one last night and it was one of the smoothest shaves I have every had, like when you shave with a feather and DE89 but so so efficient.. Once my feather in the Bird needs changing I'll try the Nacet but it seems there is a pattern here.. the bird loves sharp blades (feather, BIC, Nacet)

btw is that a Ti or Stainless bird?

SS Blackbird
Feather
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
Seville
Don Marco

The Seville is nearly gone, the donut of death is huge.. shaved last night with this setup and 12 hrs later still BBS.. The Feather was super smooth, only felt this smoothness in a feather with the DE89 and it raised the efficiency a notch.. No nicks, cuts or any hint of it occurring during the shave... think this might just be 'the one' :love:

52376495263_8ef39ba81a_h.jpg

IMG-20220903-150017.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5A
Soap: Yaqi Lemon Lime and Cedarwood sample -Thanks @Wilkshire13 (y)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Thayers witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD Mocha Matari, Yemen

This is beginning to look like a Blackland fanboi club. Whatever. 🤷 I'm almost beginning to like the menth... :unsure: ...But let's not rush into these things. This was the very last of the samples that I had kicking around, so I'll be back to my usual suspects tomorrow.

6V6LIo3.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger;
Cream: Aggressa
Razor: Blutt BR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (13)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Lider Classic Aftershave Lotion

Gotta love those Bulgarian creams.

SEptember SOTN #19-21

IMG-20220907-201308-2.jpg

I've been enjoying some RnR time the past week so lazy with the shaves but for the odd occasion I've been thoroughly enjoying this setup as the soap performs fantastically well with some of the best bay rum scent!

TTpjGG6.jpg

2021 P&C Charity Auction - Wolfman stainless steel WR1 OC with WR2 Handle and WRA1 Stand
2019 P&C Charity Auction - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2019 P&C Charity Auction - Australian Private Reserve and Noble Otter TEXAUS
Blue Devil Doral (Native Olive) handle with 26mm G5C knot from AP Shave Co
Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
This is the first time I have enjoyed lathering with a synthetic still lacking that little bit of extra scrub from a natural but best experience with a synth to date.
Was surprised at how the brush literally scraped the soap out of the tub

This is the first time I have enjoyed lathering with a synthetic still lacking that little bit of extra scrub from a natural but best experience with a synth to date.
Was surprised at how the brush literally scraped the soap out of the tub
If you want more scrub, you might enjoy the G5A knot. Maybe even the G5B which gives you a little extra loft, but with (IMO) a less interesting face feel. And the DSCosmetic G7 gives you plenty of scrub (and monstrous lathering properties), but without the refinement of the G5C. Nobody does enough fan knots.

Will try it for sure and while we are at it, try a feather in it @neongas. I shaved with one last night and it was one of the smoothest shaves I have every had, like when you shave with a feather and DE89 but so so efficient.. Once my feather in the Bird needs changing I'll try the Nacet but it seems there is a pattern here.. the bird loves sharp blades (feather, BIC, Nacet)

btw is that a Ti or Stainless bird?
Noted on the feather.

My bird is stainless. I’m not one for Ti in razors nor watches. Paranoid about dropping or denting em.

Status
Not open for further replies.