Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-5212.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: SOC Finest Badger
Soap: MDC Agrumes
Razor: Gong Razor 6/8
Post-shave: L'Occitane Cap Cedrat EDT, Thayers Witch Hazel

If you want more scrub, you might enjoy the G5A knot. Maybe even the G5B which gives you a little extra loft, but with (IMO) a less interesting face feel. And the DSCosmetic G7 gives you plenty of scrub (and monstrous lathering properties), but without the refinement of the G5C. Nobody does enough fan knots.
I might take a rain check on the synth rabbit hole for now, but I did enjoy the experience of assembling my own brush. TBH the G5C is up there with my favourite badgers plush without being spineless or spongey

w0fzkHt.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Special Edition 2013 Olive Wood Silvertip Badger
Soap: Martin De Candre Fougère
Razor: Blutt BR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Platinum Royal (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Alpa Windsor Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Parfums De Marly Gallaway EdP

Put the Semogue brush to the test with a triple-milled soap, and it passed with flying colours. It has slightly more backbone than my other Silvertip three-band brushes from H.L. Thäter, Shavemac, and Rooney. It doesn't tear into a hard soap like, say, a Simpson Chubby 2 or a Paladin, but has very decent attack, balanced with soft tips and a nicely judged splay. I think Semogue absolutely nailed it with this design, and it is pretty easy on the eye to boot.

And a shout out to @Monsta_AU for putting me onto the English-made Gillette Platinum Royal blades many moons ago when I was first exploring vintage blades. They are brilliant. In my experience, they are the sharpest blade of the golden era (alongside maybe Gillette Swedes and Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades), but have a tactile blade feel, allowing you to achieve a very close and comfortable shave using a light touch. This blade works beautifully in the Blutt.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @TroyTools LE Platypig boar brush
Soap/Cream: Zingari Man / Rogue Perfumery Mousse Iluminee shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Birch Bark Rocca razor
Blade: British Wilkinson Sword Chromium Plated (5)
Post-shave: TSW After Balm balm
Fragrance: Floris Elite EDT (decant)

So nice!

Really enjoyed the sample of the Mousse Iluminee, a collaboration between Zingari Man and Rogue Perfumery

The Floris Elite decant was the result of a suggestion for a swap by a gentleman shaver here, a true gentleman indeed!

Lovely start to the weekend.

JuUNkZLl.jpg

Blade: British Wilkinson Sword Chromium Plated (5)

So nice!

Really enjoyed the sample of the Mousse Iluminee, a collaboration between Zingari Man and Rogue Perfumery

The Floris Elite decant was the result of a suggestion for a swap by a gentleman shaver here, a true gentleman indeed!

Lovely start to the weekend.

JuUNkZLl.jpg
Great set-up and colour coordination in the photo, Agent66!

Le'platypig is looking le'magnifique 😘
Nice hot (red and orange) tones coming through

Qui!

Imagine if there was one in an upcoming charity auction …

d7MOsw2.jpg

2019 P&C Charity Auction - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2019 P&C Charity Auction - Australian Private Reserve and Noble Otter TEXAUS
Blue Devil Doral (Native Olive) handle with 26mm G5C knot from AP Shave Co
MMOC thanx to PIF from @Mark1966
I originally scoffed at the thought of using vintage SE (GEM) razors but must admit they perform better than most DE

d7MOsw2.jpg

2019 P&C Charity Auction - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2019 P&C Charity Auction - Australian Private Reserve and Noble Otter TEXAUS
Blue Devil Doral (Native Olive) handle with 26mm G5C knot from AP Shave Co
MMOC thanx to PIF from @Mark1966
I originally scoffed at the thought of using vintage SE (GEM) razors but must admit they perform better than most DE

The MMOC originally PIFFED to me - so just passing it forward!

It is a beast that MMOC

4.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge (Valobra)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Thayers witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

Just realised this was still sitting here waiting for me to hit the "post" button. :facepalm:

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

I could not get a lather if my life depended on it.. lathered for at least 60-90sec which is sooooo much longer than I usually do but did so cos I heard it was hard to get a lather. Lather was dry and thin and disappeared to nothing in a very short time.. gave it a few mins but still nothing so gave up and grabbed the Tabac which did not fail

I did not 'bloom' the soap, never had to in the past and cant see why I would need to on this one.. what am I doing wrong with this soap?

52380566836_1022a7a91e_h.jpg

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

I could not get a lather if my life depended on it.. lathered for at least 60-90sec which is sooooo much longer than I usually do but did so cos I heard it was hard to get a lather. Lather was dry and thin and disappeared to nothing in a very short time.. gave it a few mins but still nothing so gave up and grabbed the Tabac which did not fail

I did not 'bloom' the soap, never had to in the past and cant see why I would need to on this one.. what am I doing wrong with this soap?

Try and rub the FAT on your face like a shaving stick, YMMV because everybody is different when using the FAT.

I love the FAT and I don't have a problem with the soap or lather at all.

Blade: British Wilkinson Sword Chromium Plated (6)

Same, same, and same pic.

Really enjoyed this set up.

JuUNkZLl.jpg

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

Try blooming. It will help with this soap. It's quite dense.

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

I wonder if the infamous Adelaide water is coming into play? :unsure:

4.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge (Valobra)
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, Thayers witch hazel w/- cucumber, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

Same as yesterday: if it's worth doing once, it's worth doing twice...

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

I get you; it took a while for me to find a technique that worked.
I use the Marco method. Put simply, bloom the soap, start with a relatively wet brush, and load like the clappers until the lather thickens up on the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.