Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be.. got some excellent advice from @nav1 @TomG @SpeedyPC @Hos

No doubt this soap is killer just got to learn to get it right.. I'll try all suggestions with my water and if it fails try again with distilled water
I used this method with my MWF as a shaving stick regardless of the water.

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

I could not get a lather if my life depended on it.. lathered for at least 60-90sec which is sooooo much longer than I usually do but did so cos I heard it was hard to get a lather. Lather was dry and thin and disappeared to nothing in a very short time.. gave it a few mins but still nothing so gave up and grabbed the Tabac which did not fail

I did not 'bloom' the soap, never had to in the past and cant see why I would need to on this one.. what am I doing wrong with this soap?

52380566836_1022a7a91e_h.jpg
MWF is a very very tasty soap so it takes some practice working out the soap=water ratio so I'd ditch the boar and go a badger/G5 until you master building a decent lather. Traditional 60 sec lather won't cut it as the lather takes elbow grease due to the consistency but luscious lather and some of the nicest post shave feel you'll get unless the lanolin gives you irritation...?

MWF is a very very tasty soap so it takes some practice working out the soap=water ratio so I'd ditch the boar and go a badger/G5 until you master building a decent lather. Traditional 60 sec lather won't cut it as the lather takes elbow grease due to the consistency but luscious lather and some of the nicest post shave feel you'll get unless the lanolin gives you irritation...?
Totally agree. You are better off with a softer knot for MWF. A G5 or a Cashmere would be ideal.

Totally agree. You are better off with a softer knot for MWF. A G5 or a Cashmere would be ideal.
Yeah from experience boar knots tend to be way too floppy when lathering harder soaps, especially MWF which asks for a lather hungry knot.

SOTD – SUN 25 SEP 2022

SEptember, StirlingSeptember: featured soap is Stirling Soap Co. - “Carmichael”. Soap scent described as: “This scent is very sensual with notes of leather, vanilla, and powder up front. It is perfect for day or night. All together, it has top notes of green tea, bergamot, and rose, a woody middle of sandalwood, cedar, and jasmine, and a base of leather, vanilla, amber, musk, and oakmoss. Inspired by Bvlgari Black”.

SOTD-20220925-setup.png

Shave Result: All I can say is Stirling soaps give me great rich creamy lather and excellent performance. From the lather I get a manly scent that is dominated leather, powder and amber with some sweetness and I get a smokey type aroma, scent strength 5/10. This is my third shave this week with the Leaf and Twig razors in combination and overall smooth BGS (bloody good shave).

🎥Shave Video🎥

THE GEAR:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream
+ Brush: Omega 10777 with 23/48 Boar knot
+ Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Carmichael
+ Bowl: Dscosmetic “Flower” ABS
+ Razor: Leaf Pivot head 3-blade SE and Twig 1-blade SE
+ Blades: 2xDorco Prime SE in Leaf (2)
; 1xLord Saloon SE in Twig (1)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with menthol
+ Balm: Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream
+ After Shave: Dana English Leather AS
+ Moisturiser: Nivea Men Creme

SS BB
BIC
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
MWF / Blue Devil
Amici

I have never spent so much time to get a lather I cant even shave with.. At least 15-20 mins and couldnt even use it, the thinnest lather that disappears before ones eyes

No idea what I am doing wrong but at this stage would have to say this is the worst soap I have ever tried, ever.. cant even get a lather from it

I tried another lather after the shave once I bloomed the soap and now feeling a stinging sensation on my face, its either a reaction on my face to the soap or I went a bit hard with the BB in frustration of the soap.. Hoping someone can school me on this otherwise its $60 down the drain :(

52382964125_3179954fcb_h.jpg

I never used a boar brush with MWF, because, you’ll get face irritation while creating an elbow grease FAT lather.

SS BB
BIC
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
MWF / Blue Devil
Amici

I have never spent so much time to get a lather I cant even shave with.. At least 15-20 mins and couldnt even use it, the thinnest lather that disappears before ones eyes

No idea what I am doing wrong but at this stage would have to say this is the worst soap I have ever tried, ever.. cant even get a lather from it

I tried another lather after the shave once I bloomed the soap and now feeling a stinging sensation on my face, its either a reaction on my face to the soap or I went a bit hard with the BB in frustration of the soap.. Hoping someone can school me on this otherwise its $60 down the drain :(

52382964125_3179954fcb_h.jpg
It works with a boar as well: soak your boar like usual for a couple of min (~3-5) then really wring it dry

The bristles are wet, but there is no water in the knot at this stage. Start on the puck, try to work only with the tips (don't mash) but still keep positive pressure (the tips are in firm contact).

When the friction is getting noticable, add a bit of water (drops not buckets).

Once you have a thick lather, you can work in more water at once

The lather is really nice...might actually get it back into the stable thinking about it 😁

It works with a boar as well: soak your boar like usual for a couple of min (~3-5) then really wring it dry

The bristles are wet, but there is no water in the knot at this stage. Start on the puck, try to work only with the tips (don't mash) but still keep positive pressure (the tips are in firm contact).

When the friction is getting noticable, add a bit of water (drops not buckets).

Once you have a thick lather, you can work in more water at once

The lather is really nice...might actually get it back into the stable thinking about it 😁

I'll give it another try but can't understand why this is so tricky to produce lather.. like I have to conjure up spirits or something

I'll give it another try but can't understand why this is so tricky to produce lather.. like I have to conjure up spirits or something

Yeah, that is the sort of reason why I wonder if I can be naffed bothering with it.

So many great soaps that are also easy to lather.

Life if too short I say.

Black Bird SS
Feather
MWF
Zenith Boar
Puros

I could not get a lather if my life depended on it.. lathered for at least 60-90sec which is sooooo much longer than I usually do but did so cos I heard it was hard to get a lather. Lather was dry and thin and disappeared to nothing in a very short time.. gave it a few mins but still nothing so gave up and grabbed the Tabac which did not fail

I did not 'bloom' the soap, never had to in the past and cant see why I would need to on this one.. what am I doing wrong with this soap?

52380566836_1022a7a91e_h.jpg
Use the puck as a shave stick.
If all else fails, flog it.

I never used a boar brush with MWF, because, you’ll get face irritation while creating an elbow grease FAT lather.
Interestingly the RetroShaver vid posted by @SpeedyPC is using SOC Boar :)

@StratMan another option is don't put it on your face until you are happy with consistency of the lather either in a bowl or on the palm. It is one of the slickest most wonderful soaps and I never had a problem lathering it with a boar but unfortunately did have a reaction to the lanolin

jeGSbfC.jpg

2019 P&C Charity Auction - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2019 P&C Charity Auction - Australian Private Reserve and Noble Otter TEXAUS
Blue Devil Doral (Native Olive) handle with 26mm G5C knot from AP Shave Co
Inspired by longevity of MMOC shave and because I have a fresh Gem blade took the Sabre L2 for first spin. It is another very handsome Blackland razor may even be better looking than the Dart.
Definitely not a cheese grater and had to check my angle and feel the face regularly to make sure I wasn't just scraping lather.

Last edited:
Hey guys with all this praise I gave it another crack last night, but this time in a bowl (I only ever face lather)

So started off and early results were exactly the same as before, so I started adding more water (distilled) working it, more water etc

Basically added much more water than I usually add and it slowly started improving till I saw a noticeable difference.. lathered turned out quite lush and thick.. painted it on my arm and was quite impressed

This is one thirsty soap and judging by @alfredus comments which didn't mention distilled water, adelaide water should be OK?

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: @TroyTools LE Platypig boar brush
Soap/Cream: Los Jabones de Joserra Rodrigo de Jerez shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Birch Bark Rocca razor
Blade: British Wilkinson Sword Chromium Plated (7)
Post-shave: TSW After Balm balm
Fragrance: Santa Maria Novella Aqcua Di Cuba EDC (decant)

I'm not surprised that the Rodrigo de Jerez is 'Los Jabones de Joserra's est selling scents', it is superb off the puck!

The Santa Maria Novella Aqcua Di Cuba tops it off superbly

Sensational start to the week.

oNasCZ4l.jpg

BTW - the decants are in these atomisers from Artisan Arcade - very classy @Ozwhisker !

Hey guys with all this praise I gave it another crack last night, but this time in a bowl (I only ever face lather)

So started off and early results were exactly the same as before, so I started adding more water (distilled) working it, more water etc

Basically added much more water than I usually add and it slowly started improving till I saw a noticeable difference.. lathered turned out quite lush and thick.. painted it on my arm and was quite impressed

This is one thirsty soap and judging by @alfredus comments which didn't mention distilled water, adelaide water should be OK?
Can we see a picture from a bowl? because mine is sometimes not density enough lather from a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.