Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean like @SpeedyPC’s gifs that I hide behind spoilers?

🤣🤣🤣
ScKtX5w.jpg

3l3PHuJh.jpg

Pre Shave: Hot Towel
Razor: Boker Abalone Shell 6/8"
Soap: Noble Otter Monoi de Tahiti
Brush: Troycraft Green Blue Colourama with YAQI Beaux G4 knot

@Razor Burn The YAQI beaux G4 is a winner. After using it for the first time in an @TroyTools 30mm handle, it has me seriously re-evaluating my dislike of using anything over 26mm.

I'll definitely be picking up another of those knots soon.

SOTW

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5A
Soap: Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavender
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

The CF balm is very nice, goes a long way and smells divine, but I honestly wonder if it really it does its job any better than Thayer's... :unsure:

3l3PHuJh.jpg

@Razor Burn The YAQI beaux G4 is a winner. After using it for the first time in an @TroyTools 30mm handle, it has me seriously re-evaluating my dislike of using anything over 26mm.

Awesome to see as I have a 28mm and its as dense as the Oumo G5 for same size. The fibers look/feel similar to Omega Evo and Simpson Trafalgar T3 which are decent synthetic knots... Happy Shaves!

3l3PHuJh.jpg

How’s the Monoi de Tahiti?

Awesome to see as I have a 28mm and its as dense as the Oumo G5 for same size. The fibers look/feel similar to Omega Evo and Simpson Trafalgar T3 which are decent synthetic knots... Happy Shaves!
The density of some of these synthetics is an interesting factor. The AP Shave Co G5 series are less dense than, say, the DSCosmetic G7, but produce about as much lather and (especially the G5C) have a more luxurious feel. They're all a lot more focused than earlier knots, so they're not cumbersome in bigger sizes. Synthetics are really going places right now, and it'll be interesting to see where they're at in 5 or 10 years' time.

I have an Oumo G5 as well which I love but there is very little difference between the two except for price.

Sorry but that LE P&C Gen 1 Charcoal Goods razor ain't leaving the ACT... ;)

And I ain't moving there so it looks like I'm buying my own

Last edited:
No pic or post this morning, early flight -

Rz0qIIdl.jpg

... at least I had a decent lather though!

3l3PHuJh.jpg

thats a killer looking picture mate.. love the colours and as much as I dont like straights, have to say that straight looks amazing, handle matches well with your new brush (y)

thats a killer looking picture mate.. love the colours and as much as I dont like straights, have to say that straight looks amazing, handle matches well with your new brush (y)

Thanks.

I love my straight razors but they have been taking a bit of a backseat lately when I fell down the vintage Gillette rabbit hole :ROFLMAO:

Thanks.

I love my straight razors but they have been taking a bit of a backseat lately when I fell down the vintage Gillette rabbit hole :ROFLMAO:

I am certainly no expert but personally I dont really see the fascination with vintage razors. I only have two a slim 66 and a birth year razor 1st quater 73 black beauty, both nice and get a bit of nostalgia when shaving with them but no way they get the job done like some of the modern artisan razors out there

I am certainly no expert but personally I dont really see the fascination with vintage razors. I only have two a slim 66 and a birth year razor 1st quater 73 black beauty, both nice and get a bit of nostalgia when shaving with them but no way they get the job done like some of the modern artisan razors out there

I totally agree, modern razors are miles ahead when it comes to efficiency. That's the difference between CNC machined and stamped metal. Having said that, my 1950's Gillette Rocket MD is probably the smoothest razor I've ever used. Both my gold 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat and 1937 Gillette Sheraton razors to me are works of art and are absolute joys to use.

For me being a bit of a history buff, it's using something that has been around for however many years and the history of them and what was happening in the world when they are made and being used. I have straights that are well over a hundred years old and when using them I do think about who'd had used them before, what had they seen or the stories they could tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.