Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree, modern razors are miles ahead when it comes to efficiency. That's the difference between CNC machined and stamped metal. Having said that, my 1950's Gillette Rocket MD is probably the smoothest razor I've ever used. Both my gold 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat and 1937 Gillette Sheraton razors to me are works of art and are absolute joys to use.

For me being a bit of a history buff, it's using something that has been around for however many years and the history of them and what was happening in the world when they are made and being used. I have straights that are well over a hundred years old and when using them I do think about who'd had used them before, what had they seen or the stories they could tell.

That I can understand and it’s also what goes through my head when I occasionally get them out… quality modern razors are both efficient and extremely smooth and works of art in their own right

I'll have to mention P&C to Mme G before I hop my twig, otherwise she'll possibly just toss all my stuff in the bin... :banghead:

I'll PM my details, happy to be named as a beneficiary ;)

2tqyiMn.jpg

Prep: Shower / Bloom Water
Soap: MWF
Brush: Simpsons "CHUBBY" 2 Synthetic
Razor: Kikuboshi 15 "First Quality"

I am certainly no expert but personally I dont really see the fascination with vintage razors. I only have two a slim 66 and a birth year razor 1st quater 73 black beauty, both nice and get a bit of nostalgia when shaving with them but no way they get the job done like some of the modern artisan razors out there
If you want vintage efficiency try a Gem type SE razor, buttery smooth R41 level efficiency and better around contours of face and neck

3l3PHuJh.jpg

Pre Shave: Hot Towel
Razor: Boker Abalone Shell 6/8"
Soap: Noble Otter Monoi de Tahiti
Brush: Troycraft Green Blue Colourama with YAQI Beaux G4 knot

@Razor Burn The YAQI beaux G4 is a winner. After using it for the first time in an @TroyTools 30mm handle, it has me seriously re-evaluating my dislike of using anything over 26mm.

I'll definitely be picking up another of those knots soon.
Bautiful Pic :) (y)

If you want vintage efficiency try a Gem type SE razor, buttery smooth R41 level efficiency and better around contours of face and neck

they look pretty cool

vintage Gem type SE

I am not into SE but you never know. have the claymore @Gargravarr to give a test run to shortly so may still yet get into a SE razor. after trying the BB I may give a SS vector a go

they look pretty cool

vintage Gem type SE

I am not into SE but you never know. have the claymore @Gargravarr to give a test run to shortly so may still yet get into a SE razor. after trying the BB I may give a SS vector a go
Worth it just for the experience

yomiiiY.jpg

mixing it up with this kit all week

exactly, and they will be passed through others hands shaving who will be thinking the same thing.. but no idea how there gonna get any better :p

they look pretty cool

vintage Gem type SE

Worth it just for the experience

yomiiiY.jpg

mixing it up with this kit all week

very nice setup mate, that WR1 looks :love:

No pic or post this morning, early flight -

Rz0qIIdl.jpg

... at least I had a decent lather though!

At the other end of the day ...

... with the last flight back from BNE to CBR the only option after a full day - it is delayed by 30 minutes (so far)

trying to get in touch with the supplier but that is proving difficult. Anyone have any issues getting in touch with vshod? If all else fails I guess I'll keep it and use it as a decent face soap
I've found vshod/Sampson always replies to emails quickly from my brief correspondence with him...?

Good luck finding a comparison between the Claymore and Vector, I don't think I can. They're totally different beasts, the only similarity is the blades they take.

SOTN

BlackBird SS
Nacet
TroyCraft 'Purple Haze' 24mm Lansky HD
MWF
The Dead Sea

primed with a little Glen Moray, I ventured into the beauty and comfort of the FAT & BB combo.... 10/10

52392752844_6b9c5fb181_h.jpg

52392872635_d4b2cd85a0_h.jpg
I've become quite fond of the Glen Moray peated. Cheap as chips, it punches well above its weight. Trouble is, it looks like I'm not alone in appreciating this, it now disappears off the shelves in moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.