Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want vintage efficiency try a Gem type SE razor, buttery smooth R41 level efficiency and better around contours of face and neck

Bautiful Pic :) (y)
Always enjoy your insights, @Holiday.
I admire wet shavers, such as yourself, that have the skill and the bottle to shave with straights. Armed with such technique, it makes sense that you would enjoy Gem SE razors.
Personally, I must concentrate fiercely with a Gem - have had some great shaves, but also some not so great and some nasty nicks, which I attribute to my inadequate technique with such a razor.
I need to revisit my Ever Ready 1912 to see if my feeble technique has improved somewhat.

they look pretty cool

vintage Gem type SE

I am not into SE but you never know. have the claymore @Gargravarr to give a test run to shortly so may still yet get into a SE razor. after trying the BB I may give a SS vector a go

Holiday brings up a good point, they are a fun razor to use, common and pretty cheap to purchase. I own two, one was gifted to me by @bernie01 which I love.

Just don't think of the fact that you are using a blade meant for a paint scraper when you are using it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

fKj0sEP.png

RAZOR: Stirling Stainless DE Razor ST
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
BRUSH: Ever-Ready 200 24mm Manchurian gel tip
LATHER: ‌Ethos Greenfresh Premium Shave Soap

8Mbv26Kh.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Towel
Brush: TroyCraft “Blues Brother” 24mm with synthetic knot.
Razor: 1960’s Hoshi Tombo 8000 Kamisori
Soap: Razorock Mudder Focker
Post-shave: Razorock Mudder Focker Splash

Another beautiful @TroyTools brush that arrived this week. Unfortunately, this pic doesn't do it the justice it deserves.

So nice to have a bit of a sleep in to 6:30 and a day off today ...

... except when I looked at my phone I discovered a message indicting a break in at our offices building!

Great shave though with a great brush from a previous Charity Auction - have you seen what is on offer this year?

Vsc8M5zl.jpg

So nice to have a bit of a sleep in to 6:30 and a day off today ...

I dream of a sleep in.

Unfortunately I have a cat that can read the time. She will wake me at 5:15am every morning, weekends and holidays because she knows that's when my alarm goes off for work. I swear she has her own wrist watch, it's actually unnerving how she knows.

Thought so but good to keep trying. Just never know
I have both the Vector and Claymore. Vector is definitely more nimble by virtue of its head being 1/3 the mass and relative size of the Claymore's. I think the Claymore has a very slight edge in efficiency, if I remember correctly having used both with the same blade. If I could analogize the difference, the Vector is a Porsche Boxster and the Claymore a Ford Mustang. No matter which you find yourself behind the wheel of, you'd still have a smile on your face.

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5A
Soap: D.R. Harris - Windsor
Razor: Timeless 95
Blade: Gillette 7O'C Yellow
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

My SOTW plan is abandoned. I had to try out the new (to me) Timeless, for now with the familiar Gillette Yellow, and I'm not sorry I did. It's not a SE killer, but it's a damn fine razor that delivers a perfect DBS. (y) (y)

SOTD – FRI 30 SEP 2022

SEptember & AussieWetShave with Squadron - “Dispatch Rider”. Scent described as: “A marriage of Vetiver and Finest French Lavender, fresh and earthy.” Dispatch riders were used by armed forces to deliver urgent orders and messages between headquarters and military units, mounted on horse or motorcycle (or occasionally on camel in Egypt). They had a vital role at a time when telecommunications were limited and insecure.

SOTD-20220930-setup.png

Shave Result: Squadron produces lovely rich creamy, shiny lather from a level half teaspoon scoop of soap (about 2.8g), the soap doesn’t mind a bit of water (20ml). The lather provided excellent slickness and protection, I rate Squadron lather a solid Tier 2 performer. For me the lather scent was fresh green and earthy, scent strength 6/10. Loading the blade in the Yaqi Raster SE can be a bit fiddly but once setup it shaves nicely at mild-medium aggression with the ProGuard blade. Overall a lovely smooth, clean and close DFS, wonderful shave.

🎥Shave VIDEO🎥

THE GEAR:

+ Pre Shave: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave cream
+ Brush: Forgotten Art “Magma” with 27mm Synthetic 2Band [A]
+ Soap: Squadron - Dispatch Rider [A]
+ Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
+ Razor: Yaqi Raster SE with Yaqi MIDAS AL 94mm Handle
+ Blade: Feather ProGuard AC (2)
+ Splash: TN Dickinsons Witch Hazel with Menthol & Tea-tree oil
+ Balm: Natio Men Calming After Shave [A]
+ After Shave: Malizia UOMO Vetyver AS
+ Moisturiser: Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser for Men [A]
[A] = Australian Made

Gem Damaskeene OC
Gem PTFE (fresh)
Ever-Ready 100
Razorock (I forget the name) Shave Stick
Pinaud Clubman

No better way to move from SEptember to OCtober.
The original OC 1912 was only made for a couple of years before changing to the CC. It's a great feeling mild shave ideal for breaking in a fresh SS Gem blade.

1.png

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Watermelon" 28mm AP G5A
Soap: D.R. Harris - Windsor
Razor: Timeless 95
Blade: Gillette 7O'C Yellow
Post-shave: Shower, Castle Forbes Lavender balm, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Elephant Hills, India

My SOTW plan is abandoned. I had to try out the new (to me) Timeless, for now with the familiar Gillette Yellow, and I'm not sorry I did. It's not a SE killer, but it's a damn fine razor that delivers a perfect DBS. (y) (y)

Glad u like it mate (y)

Saponificio Varesino
Greaves & Sons
Razorock badger
Truefitt & Hill
Nakayama
Kanayama

Razor had been shaving nicely smooth but not quite keen enough. I'm no expert on the hones, and for me these old wedges can be a real challenge to get right. After a bit of work with a very thin slurry, finishing with a few water only laps, the shave was top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.